Kids blow up pool

emmasmomma11

Please do not do that. The cruise lines do not make the rules about no swim diapers/no non-toilet-trained kids in the pools to be big old meanies and spoil children's fun. They do it because it is *extremely* unsanitary and a health hazard to take the risk of fecal matter getting into the pool water. You know all those headlines about norovirus on cruise ships? Well, it's not just from people sneezing on the buffet food. Norovirus also spreads in feces, and it's resistant to the levels of chlorination found in most cruise ship pools. Then there are other lovely bugs like E. coli that also can spread that way.

And yes, poop *can* get out of a swim diaper--just because it's never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen. And as a previous poster pointed out, even when the poop doesn't actually appear to "leak out," the water that flows into and out of the diaper brings microscopic contamination with it.

I have three little kids, ages 7, 5, and 3.5. We spent a lot of money on a RCCL Freedom cruise when our youngest was not yet potty trained. She did not go into the pools. We did not sneak her in. She was able to go in the baby splash zone and that was it. She is also a "water baby" and loves the water--so much so that by the time she turned 3 this past summer, she was swimming independently, doing a very respectable crawl stroke back and forth across the pool. I'm sure she would have *loved* to go in the bigger pools on that trip. But we were not going to risk contaminating the pools and potentially making a lot of people sick.

If you cannot accept a cruise ship's rules about pool safety and hygiene, then do not sail on a cruise ship. Choose another vacation option where they offer pools for little ones.

Well said.

We cruised for years with kids. My DGD's first cruise was at 6 months and the other at 1 year. My grandson had been on 5 cruises by the time he was 6. I would never ever put them in the pool if they weren't potty trained (I realized that was another poster but your attitudes are similar). She's TWO. You do realize that if you don't tell her about the pool or take her by it she won't know it's even there, right? My grandson had so much fun on the stairs (no not playing, just walking). He had never been able to see through stairs before and thought it was wondrous. There is so much you can do and explore and discover with your little one. Surely, you can do without a pool for a week. Yes, it's your cruise - and it's everyone else's cruise as well. Personally, on over 25 cruises I've never seen anyone put a pool for their kid on deck.

This reminds me when my nieces were little and her mother telling me that they had to spend around $100 for the kid's jeans because they refused to wear the cheap ones. I looked at her and told her flat out.... they won't go naked. If you only buy them the cheap ones they will wear them. They were like 4 and 5 years old! Couldn't pay their mortgage but the princesses were wearing $100 jeans. Unbelievable.

You are against paying for a balcony. I get the money thing but here's something else for you to consider. The balcony allows you more freedom for when the little one is sleeping, either for naps or at bedtime. It can make or break your experience. You won't have to sit in the dark so she can sleep but can have a wonderful together moment with your husband listening to the sea watching the night go by. I remember one cruise my daughter and husband sitting in the hallway outside the cabin door with the baby monitor trying to get him to sleep. Never again. They actually were in a balcony room but it was too small with the PNP to get past it at night.

You came on here for advise but it seems the only advise you want is the ones that agree with you. Next time just ask for people who 100% agree with you to post and those that have other experiences to butt out as those opinions aren't welcome - because it's your vacation. People have been polite but your responses, not so much.

Well I'm sorry that you feel that way but I'm going to bring it anyway. There is no written rule saying I can't set up a little pool for my kid to play so I don't know why you said it's not allowed. If you that it was such a dumbass question then you could've choose to ignore it and not commented on it. It is my cruise and I don't see how making my daughter happy has anything to do with your cruise. Whatever your option is, I'm going to do what I please( within the rules of the ship of course) and let my daughter play in her small little blow up pool, which would be in the shade out of harms way. So have a nice day

It's this entitled attitude that makes people hate traveling around families with kids (and ruins it for the rest of us families with kids who try to respect other travelers and not just think of ourselves). It is not just *your* cruise. It is a cruise on which there will be thousands of other people, all of whom have paid for their vacations and don't need to be unnecessarily exposed to your child's feces.

I'm glad that you (unlike a previous poster) don't plan to try to sneak your non-potty-trained child into the pool(s). But even granting your assertion that your "small" blow-up pool won't get in the way on the deck, what do you plan to do with the water when your child is done with her splash session? Where will you empty it out? Even small blow-up pools, when full, are pretty heavy to drag, so my guess is that you will just dump it across the deck--spreading germs all over the place.

You do NOT have to bring a wading pool on deck for your child to have fun or be happy. Let's be clear about that. You're doing it to make *you* happy, because it's what *you* want. Other people have pointed out that there are a million fun things to do on a ship with your toddler that do not involve planting a wading pool on deck and then dumping potentially contaminated water out when you're done. Just exploring the ship can keep a small child entertained for days! My then 2-year-old had a blast on our Freedom cruise with essentially no pool time. And on port stops, you can take your child to the beach and she can play in the water all she wants...no issues there in a massive ocean where the water is not recirculated.

Please, have a little consideration for others here.

My oldest's first cruise was when he was 18 months. I considered bringing a small inflatable pool for him but did not in the end. He didn't miss it at all. He spent so much time exploring all the new surroundings on the ship he didn't miss swimming onboard. We took him to the beach and he had a grand old time.

I've read here about people bringing small pools. I have not seen it done personally.

I also wanted to add my oldest at one point got Salmonella as a toddler. We had no idea he had it, was caught during routine testing. He looked healthy, acted healthy no signs or symptoms whatsoever. It took him over 6 months to finally stop shedding Salmonella in his stool once we identified he had it, who knows how long he had it before that. So your little one could be shedding viruses in their feces that are not causing them symptoms without you knowing it. Putting a child who doesn't know not to poop in the pool into a pool is dangerous to other people. Salmonella can be fatal to elderly and those with compromised immune systems. I'm sure you do not want to be responsible for someone else getting ill, or even worse dying.

Edited by cruizinawayinva

It is my cruise and I don't see how making my daughter happy has anything to do with your cruise.

It has EVERYTHING to do with other people's cruises if you spread contamination from your child's portable pool, because they have paid to be on the cruise just as you have, and they have the right not to be exposed to your child's waste material. Especially since your child won't even know there's a swimming pool on board if you don't take her there, and is too young to remember the cruise, and since she'll be happy doing other things that don't involve her potentially contaminating a public area. You're not more important than the other passengers simply because you have a child.

Same applies to the poster who thinks it's okay to sneak her un-potty-trained son into the pool with a swim diaper. Not okay.

Thanks to the parents who ARE responsible and considerate about their non-potty-trained kids and find other activities they can enjoy.

Please bring the pool, your child will love it. It's her vacation too and everyone enjoys an awesome vacation. Everyone will love the baby splashing in their little pool and those that don't cant sit someplace else. I'm bringing a pool on our cruise in five weeks because my son will love it and its his vacation too. I plan to dump the water down the drain. I just ignore the other comments because people have lots of opinions but the only one that matters is your own. You are allowed to have a small pool, don't put them n the big pool but bring something for him so everyone can enjoy the vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's perfectly reasonable to bring a small inflatable pool and set it on the deck between two loungers. A small child needs only a few inches of water in which to splash and have fun. Bring a few little toss away cups for water toys too -- I like to save the little cups that applesauce comes in. Kids love pouring water back and forth with cups, pretending the cups are little boats, etc.

It will not inconvenience other passengers in the least if you keep the pool between loungers and drain it down a drain. The pool will not be filled to the brim so there will be no issue with picking it up to bring it to a drain.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow!! Still can't believe some people think a 2 year old will remember not having a pool to swim in on the ship. Even more, some posters agree that it would be ok and they are planning on bringing a pool also. Listen to the news people. RCL is having a large problem caused by germs. You will do the same. Do not kid yourselves, it is for your pleasure that you bring the pool. Put the kid in a club so you can enjoy yourself and keep others safe. I will warn you, if it is on my cruise, and I cruise at least twice a year, I will call attention to the idiot(s) that were selfish enough to put passengers health at risk. Yes, there are no rules stating you cannot do this, but there are no rules that state you cannot throw steak knives at the waiters, you can't dance on tables, or wear cleats on the decks. Just common sense which it seems some posters lack.

As a parent who has cruised for years with children I thought I'd throw my opinion in the mix. I've had to watch our younger child watch their older siblings enjoying the pools on deck. As hard as it may have been, they survived and enjoyed the cruise. I don't appreciate someone "sneeking" a little one into a pool, subjecting my children to who knows what. Rules are in place for a reason. I'm not personally against a blow up pool, and say enjoy!!! I however find your "its all about me post" rude. I do have to wonder what would happen if everyone with a toddler decided to bring a small blow up on deck. After all, there is only so much space. Just a thought. Cruises usually have more toddlers onboard then other ages. Simply because they are not in school yet. Parents need to understand that cruising with kids makes for a different type of vacation. I know you did not like the suggestion but I would spend the money and opt for a balcony, and before you jump at me, it has nothing to do with a pool. It would give you a great place to escape while your little one naps, or is cranky, and needs a break from the crowds. Have a nice trip.