Kids/Teens programs on Princess?

bluemarlin1

I cannot compare the kids programs on Princess with those on Royal Caribbean, but our 11 year old (who has been on 10 Princess cruises) absolutely LOVES Shockwaves (for kids ages 8-12). Even on a very crowded CB Thanksgiving cruise last year (the number of kids was pretty insane), he had an absolute ball.

We have found the counselors uniformly excellent - fun, involved, caring . . . but always with a keen eye out for safety. You will have the choice whether to allow your 11 year old to have sign-in/sign-out privileges.

Edited by HornedFrogCruiser

im about to sail, i have an 8yo. we've done disney with her and celebrity, so if u have specifics, i can maybe look and let you know. I know its not the same age group. I've read decent reviews tho about kids clubs.

I've done the Caribbean Princess and there will be plenty of kids. There are lots of fun activities in the Princess Pelicans clubs. I love the pools- they are awesome! The hot tubs are great (especially the large ones on deck 17 aft). There are comedians and magicians on board. There are family activities- Pictionary, Scattegories, trivia games etc. etc.

If you going during school breaks it would be best. There will be few children on cruises when schools are in session.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a Princess cruise. In fact, we are doing Sapphire for 25 days with probably no kids onboard (my son is home schooled) and I know it will be fun even without the youth program. There is lots to do onboard.

I would book on Riveria deck aft with kids. You have a little pool on that deck, which is really convenient. This can be assessed from an exterior door by the pool. Then you are one floor below the buffet, larger pools and outdoor movies and only two flights up to the Youth and Teen Centers. This is a great location! Three flights up are the awesome hot tubs and above that is the skywalkers lounge, which is a nice spot for viewing the scenery.

Would like some info on kids/teens programs on Princess, specifically the Caribbean Princess. My kids 11 and 13 have been on Royal numerous times and we love the kids programs. How does Princess compare to Royal Caribbean? Thanks in advance!

If you go during peak sailing times-- there will be lots of kids onboard. (I booked a cruise not knowing it was a spring break week and there was over 800 kids) cruise critic members represent less then 1% of the cruising public.

Thanks for replying. I'm getting the impression that not many people with kids sail on Princess. We may have to rethink this.

You will find many people travel with kids on Princess, but its not overly kid crowded. We have a 5 & 9 year old who absolutely LOVE the kids clubs! And there are always plenty of kids for them to make friends with.

Thanks for replying. I'm getting the impression that not many people with kids sail on Princess. We may have to rethink this.

So not true. As others have said, the number of kids (well, school-aged kids) will depend on when you go. But it doesn't mean that at other times, there won't be younger kids or home-schooled kids. There's a dedicated area to the kids' programs on every ship except for the "small girls." There's plenty of activities for the kids as well as entertainment (other than the late at night comedians) they can enjoy (my teen loves the big production shows).

Thanks for all the good info! We usually sail RCI so we know what to expect but my parents are paying this time and they're talking possibly Caribbean Princess. I, however, am not picky (especially since someone else will be picking up the tab and I am so grateful for that!), but I want to make sure my kids have a great time too :)

Thanks again!

There are two separate issues here:

Disney and RCCL (most ships) have far better FACILITIES than Princess, no questions asked. So if things like Rock Climibing walls and flow riders and ship simulators, etc are important to them, they may be a bit disappointed on Princess.

The second issue is staffing, and from all accounts Princess staff is as good as if not better than most of the other lines, especially given the facilities they have to work with. Of course, staff can vary from cruise to cruise.

The upshot is your kids will probably have a great time, but they may feel a bit underwhelmed by the environment.

We will be going on our first cruise in 5 years! Of the three ones we have done in the past they have all been on Princess and all with kids. My sons LOVED shockwaves! They are very excited about cruising again and are looking forward to spending time in the teen center in June.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app