Noisy Cloud 9 Spa cabin on Dream

Tantra1

We just returned from what was supposed to be a relaxing cruise in a Cloud 9 Spa cabin on the Dream that left us tired and worn out. For 7 days there was constant loud banging and rattling of the walls and ceiling from about 5:30AM to 11:00Pm. This was not a minor noise and the type of ear plugs I used to use around heavy machinery didn't make any difference. Frequently throughout the day and night the beds, walls, and ceiling would even shake while we were trying to rest. We were in an inside cabin so the back wall of the cabins were facing the restricted crew areas and above us was the gym steam rooms, and mens and womens lockers.

Just so the cheerleaders don't think this was a minor isolated problem we talked to neighbors in a few of the other Cloud 9 cabins who were also upset about the same chronic problems in their cabins. We all spoke to Guest Services and they were able to reduce (not stop) the banging but only for a short while and only for one day.

The main purpose of the cruise was to spend our time relaxing in a quiet region of the ship and use the T-pool, steam rooms, and relaxation rooms. We even scheduled and paid for a Cloud 9 Spa cabin cruise in Feb on the Dream for the same reason before it leaves for New Orleans. We have cruised on the Dream a few times before, although not in a Cloud 9 cabin, and never had this problem. Now we are not sure we want to return for a noisy week of banging walls and ceiling while we try to sleep each night.

Has anyone in an inside Cloud 9 Spa cabin on the Dream had this problem before?

Cheers!

We just returned from what was supposed to be a relaxing cruise in a Cloud 9 Spa cabin on the Dream that left us tired and worn out. For 7 days there was constant loud banging and rattling of the walls and ceiling from about 5:30AM to 11:00Pm. This was not a minor noise and the type of ear plugs I used to use around heavy machinery didn't make any difference. Frequently throughout the day and night the beds, walls, and ceiling would even shake while we were trying to rest. We were in an inside cabin so the back wall of the cabins were facing the restricted crew areas and above us was the gym steam rooms, and mens and womens lockers.

Just so the cheerleaders don't think this was a minor isolated problem we talked to neighbors in a few of the other Cloud 9 cabins who were also upset about the same chronic problems in their cabins. We all spoke to Guest Services and they were able to reduce (not stop) the banging but only for a short while and only for one day.

The main purpose of the cruise was to spend our time relaxing in a quiet region of the ship and use the T-pool, steam rooms, and relaxation rooms. We even scheduled and paid for a Cloud 9 Spa cabin cruise in Feb on the Dream for the same reason before it leaves for New Orleans. We have cruised on the Dream a few times before, although not in a Cloud 9 cabin, and never had this problem. Now we are not sure we want to return for a noisy week of banging walls and ceiling while we try to sleep each night.

Cheers!

What cabin were you guys in?

uh oh!!! Yes please!! Which cabin...and anyone else that has experienced this! We are booked in a Spa interior for December, but will change that if I can if it is an issue. We had one extraordinarily noisy, banging experience in a cabin on the Glory and I WILL NOT do that again!

My guess is you were hearing ppl unsung the weights in the gym. That and exercise classes.

I had a spa room and when I looked at the deck plans I made sure I stayed away from the rooms under the gym BC I had read of that problem on here.

Sorry that this be happened.

Yes, we experienced this back in September. The gym opened at 6am and the treadmills were right above our head. My daughter was in the bed that drops from the ceiling and the entire ceiling would shake. The weight machines also clang when people don't know how to use them and drop them. We went up to the gym to look around, not to confront the marathon runner. What we found were plenty of treadmills and only a few were in use that time of the morning. We also had a complaint of people smoking on the Spa balconies on both sides of us.

We are platinum with Carnival and proceeded down to guest services with our problems. We realize that we were only one cabin and they had so many others. We asked if they could close off the machines that were right above the spa cabins until 8am. Remember there are at least 20 treadmills. They said that they would handle it and contact the manager of the gym.

The next morning at 6am, the same thing. We spent quite a bit of time at guest services concerning this issue and the smoking.

The one night that we turned in early around 10:30, the banging started then. The gym closes to guests at 10pm so this was the Carnival staff that were allowed to use the gym.

My gentle husband marched down to guest services and basically told them if they didn't stop this, that he would. It did stop that evening, but the mornings were always an issue.

They did give us some OBC but that didn't make up for the fact that we were disturbed and couldn't use our balcony half of the time.

I e-mailed Carnival after we got home and of course got apologies, but we will not be booking a balcony cabin due to the smoking and will now make sure we are not near the gym, the theater, lido deck, bars, etc...

I am sorry you experienced this. I did write a review and posted it in hopes that it would help others.

We had an interior spa cabin on dream. The first one on the starboard side next to the stairs, can't remember the cabin #

It was very quiet and we loved the thermal suites. Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Please post which cabin it was. There is a warning on CruiseDeckPlans about those cabins that are under the gym. It shows 11202 back to 11230. I was torn between an aft facing or a spa balcony. The reason I chose aft was there were no cabins far enough away from the gym at the time. I have read quite a few reviews from those in the cabins under the gym and I didn't want that problem.

The same thing happens on every single cruise...and the staff knows it. So, they should do something to avoid this issue on every single cruise.

People like us (who have the time to frequent forums and knowledge about cabins) know which cabins are good and what to stay away from.

But...the majority of cruisers just book a cabin, pay, and get on the ship.

The only thing I'm fussy about is "the cabin location"....and even so...I know there could be problems.

Sorry to take so long to reply. Computer was down for a few days.

When we booked the cruise we booked cabin 11233 on the Starboard side but Carnival changed it on us to the Port side in 11224 otherwise it probably would not have been an issue. We didn't realize the change until we boarded.

Unfortunately we already paid for another Cloud 9 cabin on the Dream next month and it will be on the Port side in the cabin next to the one we just had. Those guests and a few others on the Port side also complained about the noise. It looks like we will be visiting Guest Services again.

The purpose of paying extra and booking a Cloud 9 cabin is to have a quiet relaxing cabin and enjoy the "thermal suites" and "relaxation rooms". We could have just as easily booked a cabin on another deck and bought the Spa package for the same price. We just would lose the convenience of the cabin location to the spa. The opperative work here is Relaxation! How stupid is it to place so many of the cabins in a place that is noisy and contrary to their purpose.

For anyone else reading this thread - Avoid any Cloud 9 cabins on deck 11 on the Port side of the ship. Most will be noisy and your cabin walls and ceiling will vibrate and shake. :mad:

Cheers!

Edited by Tantra1

uh oh!!! Yes please!! Which cabin...and anyone else that has experienced this! We are booked in a Spa interior for December, but will change that if I can if it is an issue. We had one extraordinarily noisy, banging experience in a cabin on the Glory and I WILL NOT do that again!

Avoid any cabin on the Port side. You still have plenty of time to make a change. Good luck.

Cheers!

Did you check the deck plan before you chose this cabin?

Yes, we experienced this back in September. The gym opened at 6am and the treadmills were right above our head. My daughter was in the bed that drops from the ceiling and the entire ceiling would shake. The weight machines also clang when people don't know how to use them and drop them. We went up to the gym to look around, not to confront the marathon runner. What we found were plenty of treadmills and only a few were in use that time of the morning. We also had a complaint of people smoking on the Spa balconies on both sides of us.

We are platinum with Carnival and proceeded down to guest services with our problems. We realize that we were only one cabin and they had so many others. We asked if they could close off the machines that were right above the spa cabins until 8am. Remember there are at least 20 treadmills. They said that they would handle it and contact the manager of the gym.

The next morning at 6am, the same thing. We spent quite a bit of time at guest services concerning this issue and the smoking.

The one night that we turned in early around 10:30, the banging started then. The gym closes to guests at 10pm so this was the Carnival staff that were allowed to use the gym.

My gentle husband marched down to guest services and basically told them if they didn't stop this, that he would. It did stop that evening, but the mornings were always an issue.

They did give us some OBC but that didn't make up for the fact that we were disturbed and couldn't use our balcony half of the time.

I e-mailed Carnival after we got home and of course got apologies, but we will not be booking a balcony cabin due to the smoking and will now make sure we are not near the gym, the theater, lido deck, bars, etc...

I am sorry you experienced this. I did write a review and posted it in hopes that it would help others.

For anyone else reading this thread - Avoid any Cloud 9 cabins on deck 11 on the Port side of the ship. Most will be noisy and your cabin walls and ceiling will vibrate and shake. :mad:

Cheers!

There are a few on the port side that should be okay. 11230 forward will be under the gym. Just check the deck plans to see what is above the cabins before booking. For those that want to visit use the spa rooms without booking the spa cabins you can book another category cabin and then purchase a weekly spa pass when you board. They are limited though so you should do that as soon as you can after boarding.

Actually NO cabin should have this kind of noise problem. I can't see anyone being fine with this type of noise. Sorry for your experience OP. You should note this information on that thread about cabins to avoid. Might help someone make a better cabin selection. Hopefully Carnival will find a way to remedy this situation.

Cheers!

Go on the other side and its different because you are not under the gym.

Thank goodness we just book the Starboard side interior Spa rooms on Panorama deck just under the thermal/sauna rooms on purpose, There were 4 room still available interior that backed up to the gym and locker rooms, I immediately thought to myself NO WAY !

One time we got the upgrade fairy that gave us the Penthouse suite on the Imagination, well although the room was HUGE, I mean HUGE the jogging track was right above us.....bad bad bad idea!! We heard all the runners and lounger chairs being moved around at ALL hours early and late.....ugggg! So much for Penthouse perks! LOL live and learn!!!

can anyone confirm if those cabins are noisy? we are doing a back to back and i don't want to be stuck in a cabin for 2 weeks and have to deal with the noise. i'm usually pretty good about checking the layout but i missed it on this one