Any free wifi spots on Freedom of the seas?

molly5673

no such animal as free WiFi on board ever. you can purchase packages which reduce the per minute cost, or if you are the appropriate C&A level you can get free minutes via coupon. it will be slow( slower than dial up at times) and many apps are blocked( skype, most VOIPs in fact, netflix and other streaming sites) due to bandwidth issues.

to find out the locales in port, ask a crew member

We did a Western Caribbean cruise on HAL in November and are doing wEstern on the Freedom in March. In Grand Cayman there was free wifi in Margaritaville restaurant/bar right across from the tenders, however it is a restaurant so we bought appetizers and drinks while we used it...so not exactly free!! I think some were picking up a signal from standing in the area by the entrance. I had trouble getting a signal as there were so many users, but finally did. We also went to the Royal Palms on seven mile beach, and they had free wifi, but again same story with trouble getting signal as there were SO many users. After the crowd thinned out due to ships leaving before ours, we got a signal no problem.

In Falmouth at the port area you could buy a day pass for wifi, think it was around $10. We did an excursion that took up most of the day so did not buy it.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 8 months later...

I cruised on Freedom of the Seas is May, and purchased the unlimited Wi-fi package for multiple devices. There is no free Wi-fi on the ship. I don't remember offhand how much I paid for this but was not cheap.

I had my phone carrier, Sprint turn on International calling on my phone, and they suggested that I turn off data roaming, which I did. I then was able to make and receive unlimited phone calls back home at anytime using wi-fi calling on my phone. Never had a problem anywhere on the ship nor with connecting any of our devices to the Internet. I was even able to get wi-fi signal off of the ship when still close to port.

On the islands, I was on Western Caribbean and I recall seeing several locations offer free Wi-fi. For Jamaica port, we went to Aquasol in Montego Bay (don't recommend), but I did use their free wi-fi there without a problem. I also believe I recall Wi-fi being available in Chaakanab in Cozumel but did not use it there.

So all in all in was worth the cost. I did not incur any additional usage charges from RCI or my phone company.