Our Day in Martinique

Three hills

Does anyone know the names of the beaches accessible via the ferries? My sister and her husband went to Martinique last month but can't remember which beach they visited. She said the ferry runs every 30 minutes to one and every hour to another, and they went to the beach with a ferry every 30 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

@ Island Dreamers

The ferries to the beach are within walking distance from the cruise ship. Always follow the blue line painted on the road it's about 10 minute walk. Close to the ferries there's not much all I saw was McDonalds. We went to a beach named Anse Migan. There's a lovely bar overlooking the beach and there are several restaurants within walking distance.

Thank you!!

I agree! Very informative posts- thanks all!

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and know a little more about the Martinique docks --- yes, docks! I was confused before when some people mentioned the ferry being so close to the dock. Now I know there are 2 docks. The one we were at on our Noordam cruise was 1.4 miles from the ferry. Still within walking distance, but not the 5 or 10 minutes that many people mentioned. This time, we were on the smaller ship Maasdam and docked right next to the ferry docks. Definately an easy 5 minute walk to the ferry. So make sure you know which dock you're going to be at when determining how much time to allow getting to the ferry. Unfortunately, both times we were there were holidays and the ferry was on limited times---and most stores including McDonald's were closed. On Sundays and holidays, the ferry only went to Pointe Du Point . Last time we walked to Anse Mitan--about another mile---from there. Very nice beach. This time I wanted to go to the Pointe and snorkel, but hubby was afraid of missing the ferry back since we were only there until 1:30 and the ferry didn't run on schedule like was posted the previous time we went, so we took a private taxi tour of the north part of the island instead.

Excellent thread!

We will be in this port in Dec. Thankfully not a Sunday!

No excursions are showing up yet with our cruiseline. We typically do not book with the ship, but I use that info as a starting point for planning.

I think we will do the self walking tour unless I discover a guided walking tour for a reasonable price. We did several walking tours while in NEw Orleans in January and they were much more informative than doing it on our own would have been. And very reasonably priced.

I have one question for the OP. You mentioned exchanging money on the ship. Would you please let m eknow what cruise line you sailed on? and what ship?

Hopefully this is standard as the ships must know we all will need Euros :-)

Excellent thread!

I have one question for the OP. You mentioned exchanging money on the ship. Would you please let m eknow what cruise line you sailed on? and what ship?

Hopefully this is standard as the ships must know we all will need Euros :-)

I'm not the OP, but we tried to exchange some $ for Euros on the Maasdam and they said they don't do that.

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and know a little more about the Martinique docks --- yes, docks! I was confused before when some people mentioned the ferry being so close to the dock. Now I know there are 2 docks. The one we were at on our Noordam cruise was 1.4 miles from the ferry. Still within walking distance, but not the 5 or 10 minutes that many people mentioned. This time, we were on the smaller ship Maasdam and docked right next to the ferry docks. Definately an easy 5 minute walk to the ferry. So make sure you know which dock you're going to be at when determining how much time to allow getting to the ferry. Unfortunately, both times we were there were holidays and the ferry was on limited times---and most stores including McDonald's were closed. On Sundays and holidays, the ferry only went to Pointe Du Point . Last time we walked to Anse Mitan--about another mile---from there. Very nice beach. This time I wanted to go to the Pointe and snorkel, but hubby was afraid of missing the ferry back since we were only there until 1:30 and the ferry didn't run on schedule like was posted the previous time we went, so we took a private taxi tour of the north part of the island instead.

opps---I meant Point Du Bout. The one to Anse Mitan wasn't running on Sunday or Good Friday.

@ Twin A

Two favorite beaches that are accessible by ferry are Point du Bout and Anse Migan. Take the ferry from Point Simon in the middle of town. Ferry leave every 30 minutes.

Thank you! This is most helpful!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...
I just re-read this thread...did I miss how much the Ferry Costs?

Thinking about doing a walking tour and beach afternoon

Also is there snorkeling at these beaches?

2 years ago the rt cost for the ferry to Point Du Bout was $10@ (which we paid in US money). We were there on a Sunday and there was only 1 ferry running. It actually didn't drop us off at Point Du Bout, but at a marina in town. We walked from there to Annes Mitan which was about a mile away. We did try snorkeling there, but only saw a couple starfish and a few small fish. Later I saw that Point Du Bout should have been a very short walk from the marina, but we walked south instead of west. I have read snorkeling is better at Point Du Bout since there are rock walls there. Maybe next time we'll try that.

2 years ago the rt cost for the ferry to Point Du Bout was $10@ (which we paid in US money). We were there on a Sunday and there was only 1 ferry running. It actually didn't drop us off at Point Du Bout, but at a marina in town. We walked from there to Annes Mitan which was about a mile away. We did try snorkeling there, but only saw a couple starfish and a few small fish. Later I saw that Point Du Bout should have been a very short walk from the marina, but we walked south instead of west. I have read snorkeling is better at Point Du Bout since there are rock walls there. Maybe next time we'll try that.

Thank you for the reply :-)

I finally feel like we have a couple of options for this island. As we get closer to sailing we will decide between a walking tour and beach day or a tour with the ship that goes to the Volcano and a few other spots and some wandering around the village and perhaps a bit of shopping.

Thank you for the reply :-)

I finally feel like we have a couple of options for this island. As we get closer to sailing we will decide between a walking tour and beach day or a tour with the ship that goes to the Volcano and a few other spots and some wandering around the village and perhaps a bit of shopping.

We were just there on Good Friday. I had hoped to go over to Point Du Bout, but our back on board time was something like 1:30 and hubby was paranoid we'd miss the one ferry going back and forth (only the one ferry on Sundays and holidays), so we did the taxi tour north through the rain forest, to the distillery and to St. Pierre. It turned out to be really nice, but took us 45 minutes to get enough for the tour. The taxi drivers wanted at least 6 in a van and 4 in a car, not including themselves (we wouldn't do the 4 in the car) so we had to try and help the driver come up with others willing to pay the 60 Euro/hour/vehicle and willing to go for the same amount of time and places. You wouldn't think it would take so long! BUt we had a nice tour once it finally got going. Only bad part was one of the couples was fluent in French so it didn't take long for the driver and them to start talking totally in French. So it became a nice ride, but not really a tour. No biggy, I can read about where we were on the internet.

I have blogs of our trips which included Martinique here if you're interested in seeing the snorkeling and beach at Anse Mitan and the taxi tour:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/search/label/Martinique

Edited by slabeaume

• 2 months later...
Hey Caribbean Dreamer! Did you sign up for our Splendorifics" group on the 11/1/14 Splendor? Go to our roll call page and say hi and join in the fun. Ken M

I haven't been on CC in a couple of months; I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

• 5 months later...

Sue, you sound like the lady I need to talk to! We will be on the Noordam 11 day Wayfarer soon. We will be in Martinique on a Sunday and are interested in taking the ferry over to the beaches. Do you recall if the Noordam docks closer to the ferries or further? Also, would you recommend taking the ferry on a Sunday? We will be there from 8-5.

Thanks and happy travels!

Halrunner---It was either the Noordam or the Eurodam that we were on that docked farther from the ferry port. With the amount of time you're there, taking the ferry shouldn't be a problem. If you don't want to walk the 1.4 miles to the ferry, there are lots of taxis that will take you there for about $2 or $3 per persons. You may want to go early and come back around 2 or so, since the ferries don't seem to run on time. Do check with the people running the ferry as too what their schedule really is. We waited over an hour at the return dock the time we did go over by ferry. But I would love to do it again, the beaches there are beautiful.

• 1 month later...