Confused about Sanctuary

QueenofEverything

I do not want to defend the cost of the Sanctuary, but want to comment about those that like to do cost comparisons. Many folks will spend a lot of money to book a Suite and think its worth the money. DW and I once figured we spend no more then 3 awake hours a day in our cabin. A Suite can easily cost several hundred dollars a day more then a regular cabin (even a balcony cabin) and many folks think it is worth the money. So along comes the Sanctuary which is an area some folks (including moi) might use for about 8 hours a day and the cost would be in the neighborhood of $20-$30. What an I missing here?

We do understand that not everyone is content to sit in the Sanctuary for most of the day since they prefer to attend various activities. But there are some passengers (like DW and moi) who spend most of their sea day time in a deck chair enjoying a good book. So perhaps the cost of the Sanctuary does make good sense for some folks.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Having endured the spectacularly uncomfortable "new" poolside loungers on the Pacific, I can say that the Sanctuary is looking very appealing for my next cruise. After only about 20 minutes, I'd be squirming around trying to get comfy, and I sure did miss the armrests. I can't even imagine trying to lay face-down on those rock-hard chairs to tan one's back -- it'd be like laying down on concrete, no give at all for one's, ahem, contours. They look nice, very sleek and modern, and they're light so easy to move around as the sun shifts -- but completely impractical for day-to-day use. No, next warm-weather cruise, I'm doing the Sanctuary ("Serenity now!!"), even if it does mean a longer walk to the pool.

And an excellent cost analysis, Hank! You're right -- if I were offered an upsell to a balcony for that amount, I wouldn't hesitate -- but out on deck is where I spend all day, even the couple times I have had a balcony. Now, thanks to you, I'm thinking the Sanctuary is actually the best bargain on the ship!

Edited by rdsqrl

Is the sanctuary pool open for all adults on the Royal, or only those who pay for the day or week?
There's no pool in the Sanctuary on the Royal. The nearest pool is the Retreat pool which is just outside the entrance to the Sanctuary. It's adults-only. The only two ships with a Sanctuary pool are the Coral and Island, and those are the only ships where the Sanctuary is aft. All other ship Sanctuaries are far forward. Edited by Pam in CA

Is the sanctuary pool open for all adults on the Royal, or only those who pay for the day or week?

Pam is correct...the Retreat Pool next to the Sanctuary is the adult pool. We did like the layout of the pools on the Royal. At the MUTS area is the more active vibrant pool with the bands, moving forward is the adult Retreat Pool which is a bit quieter, has shading filter awnings along both sides, the two whirlpools, pool with rentable cabanas (6 available at $80/day) and seems to be plenty of chairs available but grab them early, and the forward of that is the Sanctuary. So, there is no charge for the Retreat Pool and available to all.