Best time to check in

Emilyethanmom

Hi everyone:

We will be sailing in the end May to Alaska with Grand Princess. Because we will be traveling with my special needs daughter (8 years old). We would like to find out when is the best time to check in to avoid a lot of people and waiting time? We will be in seattle port. We are very lucky to stay in a full suite this time. We live in seattle so just want to find when is the best time to check in to avoid a lot of people.Thanks.

We have usually arrived by 11AM and had no mobs to deal with. Being in a suite you will have a shorter line anyway…but should be able to avoid the crowds. You will not be able to go to your cabin then once on the ship (usually), but can hang out in the public areas for a bit (lunch) until cleared to go to your cabin. Have a great time!

We have usually arrived by 11AM and had no mobs to deal with. Being in a suite you will have a shorter line anyway…but should be able to avoid the crowds. You will not be able to go to your cabin then once on the ship (usually), but can hang out in the public areas for a bit (lunch) until cleared to go to your cabin. Have a great time!

Thanks for the reply, usually when can we go into our room right away?

If you're in a suite, you'll be in the Priority Boarding area and you'll be able to be among the first to board the ship once they clear it. Once they do, you'll be able to go to your suite right away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You will not be able to go to your cabin then once on the ship (usually), but can hang out in the public areas for a bit (lunch) until cleared to go to your cabin.
Princess is actually one of the few cruise lines that lets you go to your cabin as soon as you board the ship. They don't open the ship until all the stateroom are ready. That's why they want you out of your cabin by 8AM on debarkation morning.

I know there have been sailings when the ship has given out cards saying that your stateroom may not be ready when you board. This is rare, but has happened. I wasn't sailing, so can't tell you if they were ready or not. I just know that the ship said they might not be ready.

Since I have sailed out of Seattle 5 times, I can tell you that there will be a lot of people checking in at 11 AM, but since you have priority boarding, it may not be as much of an issue. If you want a quieter time, go later when the initial rush as been processed.

If you do go early, you might want to have lunch in the dining room instead of the buffet. One dining room will be open 12 - 1:30 and there are very few people there. It will be a quiet, relaxing lunch for your daughter, rather than the crazy, overwhelming mob scene at the buffet.

I have found if by chance the cabin isn't ready (rare), I've been able to set my carryon bag down in the wardrobe area so I don't have to carry it with me around the ship.

I was surprised on my NE cruise from Quebec in Oct., I got to the port at 11:15, was in my cabin by 11:45. There was a gal with several of us on the elevator, asked if we had questions, said welcome aboard, it was a very nice touch. I always have an inside cabin so I'm not expecting anything extra.

There were people sitting in chairs waiting, I walked in, walked up to the counter and when I was done someone said are you platinum, I said yes and they said you can board with this next group. I never got to sit down! This was one time I was glad to be traveling on my own!