texting

3shar

We are going on the Getaway in July and staying in the Haven. I had a question regarding texting/ communicating with kids while we are on board. My kids are old enough to adventure around the ship on their own but I would like to be able to get a hold of them. Texting would cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone know if they have on board systems (ie walkie talkie etc ) that work?

If you have iPhones or Android phones you can download the iConcierge app from NCL and it allows you to call and message other phones that have the app. I think it costs $8 or $9 per phone per cruise. The app also lets you book shows, restaurants and other stuff onboard. There is no charge for that stuff.

We are going on the Getaway in July and staying in the Haven. I had a question regarding texting/ communicating with kids while we are on board. My kids are old enough to adventure around the ship on their own but I would like to be able to get a hold of them. Texting would cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone know if they have on board systems (ie walkie talkie etc ) that work?

Whatever you do, do not let a teenager do normal text. They can run up a thousand dollar bill before you finish dinner. Even at the $.50 per text deal. (cost from phone company)

The onboard app could work if you can keep them offline for phone calls and regular texting. Only your banker will know for sure!

Edited by garycarla

I agree that the iConcierge app would be an option for you. Out of consideration for your fellow passengers, please don't bring walkie-talkies. :)

have seen lots of walkie talkies on board.. I dont have a problem with them.. I wouldnt use them in a dinning room or during a show but on the pool deck not a big deal

Do the suites still have the phone that you can take with you? This could be a hallucination on my part, but I thought I remembered having a cordless phone...

We will also be in the Haven in July with 2 15 year olds and a 13 year old. last 2 cruises we just used our AT and T text at 10 or 50 cents per. Did not spend more than 10 bucks on the texts..and that would be stretching it.

We also bring a sticky note pad and leave messages in the cabin. Their friends all know that they are away and don't text, phones go OFF when we are together or have set meeting times. With 3 shore days the need for on ship communication is smaller.

If walkie talkies suit your fancy feel free to bring those, if you are worried about a few people being annoyed while you use them to stay in contact with your family get the wristwatch walkie talkies which have a plug in for headphones and a mic for talking. We used those on our last cruise and never ran into anyone that had a problem with us keeping in touch with our family.... Happy cruising!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If walkie talkies suit your fancy feel free to bring those, if you are worried about a few people being annoyed while you use them to stay in contact with your family get the wristwatch walkie talkies which have a plug in for headphones and a mic for talking. We used those on our last cruise and never ran into anyone that had a problem with us keeping in touch with our family.... Happy cruising!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good idea. Sadly, very few people are concerned with others like you are.

Headphones? Doubt it for most folks.