Snorkeling from the beach

geomapper

Last year in GT we snorkeled from the beach in front of margaritaville. There wasn't much to see. Has anyone tried snorkeling along the beach to the right of the dock when leaving the ship? Particularly all the way down at the southern point of the island?

Thanks

We have gone to the right off the ship twice before, about 200 yards down the beach.

While we saw fish you need to use caution as it was very shallow and rocky getting in and the surf can be tricky trying to maintain balance to get into deeper water. The rocks are loaded with sea urchins tucked away into crevases so be very careful. We will not do this again. The area used to be very nice but storms have led to lots of silt coverage and very limited marine life. Lots of dead conch shells.

I've come to call this stop a margarittaville visit. I'm sure there is much better on the island but the port time is just too short for me to go off on an excursion.

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
Last year in GT we snorkeled from the beach in front of margaritaville. There wasn't much to see. Has anyone tried snorkeling along the beach to the right of the dock when leaving the ship? Particularly all the way down at the southern point of the island?

Thanks

I went North on the beach and past Jacks Shack. Once you reach the small pier there is plenty of sea life and fish. You can even swim around the pier and out to where the ocean floor drops off.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app