Miracle Wireless Access Points

bigscrb15

We took our laptop on our 7/3/2005 cruise to keep in touch with the family. I thought I had read on here that access was avail in the internet cafe. After getting there and setting up our account on our laptop it kept losing connection. I talked to Andrew(Internet Manager) and he said the internet cafe does not have its own access point. He gave me this print out that I found VERY useful. The black boxes are the access points. We found the best place to be The Joker Room to be the best for laptops because it has a power outlet AND great wireless reception in that area. I hope this helps as these boards can get confusing on conflicting internet access info for individual ships.

miraclewireless.jpg

Wireless access is the same amount as regular access.. the Carnival website has a list of all the charges... it's not cheap, but when you have to get some business done, it's there for ya... and it's not quick!!! I'm usually able to get what I need done, and do it early in the morning before everyone is out and about... works best for me...

Thanks BIGSCRB --- I went ahead and copied this image for my reference this Thanksgiving, as I feel this thread could get deleted (due to the fine print at the bottom of the image) by the powers that be.... :)

Tom

One thing I might add.... I have NEVER seen the connection speeds as SLOW as I saw them that week (July 3rd)... I could always find a place with an "Very Good" to "Excellent" signal strength (to an access point), but the actual donwload times were VERY frustrating. I have used our laptop on a few other cruises, and never had this problem... I used the internet A LOT this cruise (especially due to the weather, and chat with family). I blew through my first 100 minutes barely 3 days into the cruise. So then I splurged for the 250 minute package (and used MOST of that). A MAJORITY of that time was spent WAITING for pages to load (cruise critic.... wunderground... intellicast... etc..!)

Tom

He gave me this print out that I found VERY useful. The black boxes are the access points.

What is the left-most ship depiction on the attached image? I can't make it out. It's not a normal deck plan...is it?

What is the left-most ship depiction on the attached image? I can't make it out. It's not a normal deck plan...is it?

That's DECK A - 1 below Riviera.

I would imagine that if your cabin was directly above/below one of these areas, that you could pick up a decent a signal in your cabin. I was able to connect ONE time from my cabin (I tried A LOT) when we were docked in Costa Maya. Oddly though, at that point, I was able to pick up a strong signal from one of the other ships in port! The rest of the time the signal strength in my cabin only registered a "1 out of 5"... I assume that the stronger signal in that port was due to: A.) some type of reflectivity/scatter from the ships near us... or ... B.) CCL boosted the signals at that point to help offset the other strong signals nearby.... any other suggestions???

Tom

Archived