Embassy Suites or Doubletree Grand Hotel

Doncin

There's really nothing to walk to near either one of them. The Embassy Suites is at the airport and is not one of their nicer properties. The Doubletree Grand is not your typical hotel, it's actually a residential condominium with some hotel style rooms. Both of them have gotten pretty bad reviews lately. The only thing close to the Embassy Suites is a Bennigans. The Doubletree Grand is next door to the Biscayne Bay Marriott, but the rest of the area is a bit rundown or "under construction". There's nothing within walking distance, but it's not wise to walk anywhere in that area anyway, you would need to take taxis if you wanted to go out.

Last year we were pleasantly surprised with the Summerfield Suites (Wyndham property) at the airport. We had a two bedroom unit, wonderful managers reception on arrival, breakfast, etc. We had enrolled in Wyndham by Request (their version of a frequent flyer program but for hotels) and had a bottle of wine, some snacks and a welcome balloon in the room when we checked in. We loved it. We were very close to a strip mall with great Cuban restaurant and some places for last minute shopping. It was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

We have decided on the Hampton Inn & Suites, a fairly new Hilton Property...read all good reviews with the only drawback of having to take a taxi to dinner but we don't mind that as long as it's CLEAN and not that old musty smell......we stayed at this property last year post cruise in Lake Mary, Fl. and it was great.....also brand new....so we will stay with what works for us.....like you said, we were pleasantly surprised!!!!

We stayed at the Embassy in Fort Lauderdale last year...........bad move......and very expensive.....but I had it booked for next year in Miami and after reading the boards, decided against it.....funny how some of their properties are great and some are just not taken care of....we just stayed in an Embassy in columbus, ohio and it was very nice....hope you have a good experience.....

I assume you mean this Hampton Inn?... http://www.hamptoninnmiamiairport.com/

The only place close to that I'm familiar with is The 94th Aero Squadron. It's a few blocks north of that Hampton Inn... I've gone there since I was a kid, fun place, decent food. It overlooks the airport runways and they have headphones on the tables so you can listen to air traffic control. :)

Other than that I can't think of anything close other than fast food.

We stayed at the Embassy in Fort Lauderdale last year...........bad move......and very expensive.....but I had it booked for next year in Miami and after reading the boards, decided against it.....funny how some of their properties are great and some are just not taken care of....we just stayed in an Embassy in columbus, ohio and it was very nice....hope you have a good experience.....

Most of them are very nice, on occassion, like with any chain you will get one that is either just plain bad or is in need of a little updating. The nicest we have used was the one in San Juan. It was awesome!!! NMnita

There's really not much in that airport area except fast food and a few of the typical chains that seem to be everywhere.

If you don't mind a 15 minute cab ride there are several places in the downtown Coral Gables/Miracle Mile area. It's been a while since I've been down there for dinner though and my mind is going blank at the moment.

Also in downtown Coral Gables is an upscale mall called The Village of Merrick Park... http://www.villageofmerrickpark.com/

Within that mall is The PALM, an excellent restaurant... http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=38

If you want to experience Cuban Miami try VERSAILLES, a landmark restaurant that's an institution in Little Havana, also about a 15 minute cab ride from your hotel. It's at 3555 SW 8th Street.

Archived