Solo Cruiser - Need Cabin Recommendations

petnumber1

Hi all :)

I have been reading these threads nonstop for several days now, and taking notes like crazy....but, of course, I've confused myself more than I've clarified anything, LOL. :) I hope to get some advice from those more experienced than I am.

I have cruised before, but never on HAL. I want to book a 7-day Alaska cruise for early summer (probably on Volendam or Westerdam - I'm still debating). I will be traveling alone, but here's the thing - I will probably spend much of my time in my cabin. My job requires constantly being with people and attending meetings, and to be honest, I just want some peace and quiet and pampering. My plan is to spend a ton of time out on the balcony, only get out of my pajamas for a few shore excursions, order a lot from room service, maybe indulge in the spa, and in general, just get caught up on reading, daydreaming the afternoons away watching the scenery, and not feel obligated to do anything.

Given that I'll be spending so much time in my room, my #1 priority is, of course, the cabin. I plan to get a Verandah room, but have no idea about the different cabin designations. Can you guys recommend what would be best for me? Aft? Forward? Mid-ship? A? AA? B? BC? I have no clue! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Edited by petnumber1
Grammar

I'm a solo cruiser and spent 30 nights on the Westerdam about 18 months ago in a VD verandah stateroom on Deck 4 towards the aft. These cabins will become either VB or VC from May. They have a larger balcony than similar verandah staterooms and don't overlook the lifeboats. I was very happy with my choice - and the Westerdam became my favourite HAL ship. I liked reading on the sofa and there was also a rug to use if it got cool while out on the balcony.

If you decide to go for a Signature or Neptune suite, that's a different story and someone else might be able to answer or you.

I haven't sailed on the Volendam so can't comment on it either. For me too, the itinerary would also be important.

Whatever you decide, you should have a great time.

If you decide on cruising the wonderful Westerdam the following might be of help in selecting your stateroom:

VERANDA SIZES ON VISTA CLASS

The Port and Starboard standard Veranda/Balcony on the Vista Class (Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam & Zuiderdam) are the same size 6 ft. deep by 9 ft. wide. The aft/stern verandas are deeper and vary depending on deck.

The exceptions to the 6 ft. depth are as follows:

Port and Starboard Veranda staterooms on the Deck 4, Upper Promenade, are 7.5 ft. in depth. The Verandas for the popular Staterooms 4164 & 4166 have additional width which is not reflected in the deck plans.

Port Staterooms on Deck 5, Veranda, 5056 through 5138 and Starboard Staterooms 5053 through 5135 are only 4.5 ft. deep.

We always try to book Port side 4134 through 4164 as the view is completely unobstructed and the area very quite.

Apart from a couple exceptions as noted above, one verandah room is much like any other -- with the different categories (A, AA, B, BB etc) priced based on proximity to the center of the ship. Alaska is generally not a destination where motion sickness is an issue, but if you have cruised previously and experiences motion sickness then your best best is a room in the center of the ship...which will be the most expensive. If you are not prone to motion sickness and want to save some dollars, choose a B or BB room in the aft or forward. You'll have the same views from the same size balcony, only paying less for it. :)

PS - If you're doing a northbound cruise, I'd recommend a room on the starboard side of the ship (that's the right side when facing forward). If you're doing a southbound, I'd recommend a room on the port side (that's the left side when facing forward). If it's round-trip Seattle or Vancouver, it doesn't matter.

The Westerdam and Volendam sail different itineraries, so your first task is to decide which itinerary you want to take. That will determine the ship.

Personally, I love the Volendam itinerary and mid-week departure, and am taking it again this summer.

The Westerdam and Volendam are different classes of ship, with the Westerdam being larger. Volendam cabins are larger than comparable category cabins on the Westerdam.

I sail solo often, in inside cabins. I know that there are numerous places to sit outside on either ship without being disturbed, if that's what you want. When outside you will get a more expansive view than you will from even the largest balcony. Please don't exclude the possibility of getting out & about; the scenery is worth it.

.<SNIP> I sail solo often, in inside cabins. I know that there are numerous places to sit outside on either ship without being disturbed, if that's what you want. When outside you will get a more expansive view than you will from even the largest balcony. Please don't exclude the possibility of getting out & about; the scenery is worth it.

We've done Alaska a couple of times, and please don't discount what Ruth said about going outside. Last time we had a Suite on the Rotterdam, and even though the veranda was huge, the view was always better out on deck or from the Crow's Nest.

A sweater and good windbreaker over it should keep you nice and toasty (unless you're out on the forecastle for some of the Scenic Cruising opportunities) and isn't too bulky to take on and off for unexpected wildlife viewing opportunities.