Paying the balance- awful call centre experience!

I have just rung up to pay the balance for my cruise- it was an Indian call centre.I was subjected to a waiting period and the loudest 'music' you can imagine!

Then a lady answered and subjected me to the hard sell- extra legroom seats, then, as I turned down the opportunity to buy those, she told me that I had failed to pay the extra to book seats sitting together and unless I did so 'we would not be able to sit together on the plane'- how ridiculous is that statement!

I had declined both options so she put me on hold- listening to that horrible loud music again- I had to hold the phone well away from my ear! She then came back on and said the system was running slow and I should ring back in two hours!

Oh to be able to pay the balance on line!

Flopsy

Last year when the balance was due I rang the sales line and explained to the person answering the phone that I could not understand the accents when I rung india and they could not understand me. I have a very broad accent, he took my money!!!

Last year when the balance was due I rang the sales line and explained to the person answering the phone that I could not understand the accents when I rung india and they could not understand me. I have a very broad accent, he took my money!!!

Oooo Tina, what a good idea. I had the same experience when phoning to pay the balance of our deposits. I think they have a list of things to go through. At least one of them we already had and no we did not require extra leg room seats just for a flight to Majorca. I might try the sales line when we have to pay the balance.

Tina you are a star!

I just rang the local Thomson shop and paid by card over the phone- so easy!

Thankyou so much.

Flopsy

No problem Flopsy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why not just use Travel Agent in the first place - so much easier and they do everything for you, plus if any problems it's their fault not yours.

There are several reasons why I book online, the first one is time. I work ina town centre and have too walk past 4 travel agents on my walk from the car park to the office. Whenever I have tried using TA they take that long my lunch time is over before I booked it!! I don't want to drive to town on my day off it's a 30 mile round trip. I can book from the comfort of my armchair at any time of evening I wish.

My next reason is knowledge, after being on 12 thomson cruises my knowledge is far greater than theirs and if I don't know something I come on here for the answers. I have asked at TA's in the past and the answers I receive are not necessary correct. I think this is due to lack of training.

I spend all day at work with forms etc so I am quite confident of filling them in correctly.

Another reason is cost, I have asked the local TA to match the online price, I keep track of the price of cruises and last time I asked the response was "we can't get anywhere near that price, we would be losing money"

I can see that going to TA's works for some but not everyone.

When I say Travel Agent I did mean my local Thomson Shop, first class service,they always match online price and like I said any problems and it's down to them.

Any holidays means you are spending thousands, and I just think ' Don't take any chances ' you cannot beat dealing face too face - computers cannot answer back.

I booked over the phone with my local independent TA who beat the online price although only by a few pounds. It only took about 10 minutes as like most of us on here I already knew exactly what I wanted. I can just phone them to pay the balance as well with no-one trying to sell me extras. I like the reassurance that if there are any problems I can just pop in to see them and sort it out. Also some of their staff are very knowledgable about cruises.😊

I also always use the local Thomson shop , they always beat the on-line price for me , when i get my invoice for the holiday they have a retail discreation section which usually shows the discount the shop has applied to sale - i book with them almost every year and know most of them by first name now , don't know if i could get a bigger discount if i pushed but i'm always happy with their service and i know i can't get it online anywhere else cheaper :)