HAL just added an overnight stop in Alesund, Norway!

sppunk

I just received notification from HAL that on the Sept. 6 Rotterdam sailing, the ship will arrive in Alesund at 11 p.m. the same day the ship leaves Geiranger at 5 p.m.

We were scheduled to dock at iirc 7 a.m.

Any idea why this would be?

Just had to switch my june reservation to the 30 aug 14 day collectors voyage, which includes this 7-day.

If you read the notification, it states it's for operational reasons. Then take a look at your new itinerary and see there; docking at 23pm day 3, so not arriving at Alesund at 23pm but not docking until 7am on day 4. Also departure has been moved up an hour from 4pm to 3 pm.

Personally suspect they might've scheduled in some maintenance, check or alike. I was on a 14-day collectors voyage last june//july on the Ms Rotterdam which was basically almost the same and Alesund was a scheduled day for certain maintanence and checks. Day then was scheduled as 7am docking, departure 5 pm. Check with the emergency alarm had such problems and delays, we stayed docked till well after 7 pm. Combined with windspeed and direction it triggered them to sail at a higher speed than most of the other 14-days to get to the next port on time and having to skip scenic cruising on departure. It really screwed up multiple operational schedules that day.

I could see them having done the 'math', noting being able to dock night before, thus giving time to do some needed work and have more time docked to fall back on if need be without interupting the schedule. Now they've got a scheduled 16 hours in port, which for the Rotterdam is uncommonly long and she's soon afterwards departing on her Africa cruise for which they'll want to make sure all predictable maintanence etc. is done.

It's a shame we'll be leaving early though, Alesund was very much worth a full day and added loosing afternoon hours is a loss, imho.