Would you sail out of Houston again?

RickSue

Yes!

Have done Galveston twice (RCCL and Disney). I'll be sailing from Bayport with Princess in April. I'll definitely sail more often from Texas!

Very Happy Princess is here... I hope to book many sailings with them!

WDRl - great comment about itinerary. I would love to see 10 day cruises out of Houston or Galveston to add some variety. I bet they would have a market here.

Yes!

Have done Galveston twice (RCCL and Disney). I'll be sailing from Bayport with Princess in April. I'll definitely sail more often from Texas!

Very Happy Princess is here... I hope to book many sailings with them!

WDRl - great comment about itinerary. I would love to see 10 day cruises out of Houston or Galveston to add some variety. I bet they would have a market here.

I've ignored these (recent) Houston sailings for this very reason when looking to book.

We are more itinerary based cruisers, and the thought of only three ports of call isn't as appealing when having to factor in travelling from the West Coast.

Unfortunately the transit math doesn't work out that Princess could squeeze in another port of call(even Progreso? Costa Maya?) into a 7-day sailing out of Bayport.

For that reason, we've been looking at sailing out of New Orleans(NCL) as an alternative for doing a 7-day W. Carib. itinerary. As far as I know, they are the only line that offers four W. Carib. ports of call from the gulf ports.

However, If Princess started offering 10-days out of Houston w/ at least 6 ports of call, my interest might be piqued. Say a mix of - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and perhaps some day..........Havana or Santiago de Cuba.

For those of you who have lived in Houston for a while, is the fog this year worse than a normal year? Or about what it typically is each year?

Yes it has been very strange (not only the fog but the winds that delayed that one cruise in November), not normal.

Don't forget that Princess had access to all the historical data for the port going back half a century, and made their decision informed with those stats. This season's atypical.

There's nothing wrong with Bayport that a second ship with 10-day cruises, and some more support from hotels and parking vendors, can't fix.

And some marketing and TA education, to dissolve the "there's no hotels, nothing to do" myth. Local TAs don't seem to know cruising and cruise TAs don't know Houston.

Nothing wrong with Galveston either, both ports should enjoy increased passengership as more locals discover the pleasures of cruising.

Galveston has the built-for-tourists Pleasure Pier, the edutainment complex Moody Gardens (highly recommend), the historic Strand District (a must-go during the Dickens Festival!)...

Bayport has the built-for- tourists Kemah Boardwalk, the edutainment complex Space Center Houston (try to go for the Ballunar Festival), and historic Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battleground.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle

Yes it has been very strange (not only the fog but the winds that delayed that one cruise in November), not normal.

Don't forget that Princess had access to all the historical data for the port going back half a century, and made their decision informed with those stats. This season's atypical.

There's nothing wrong with Bayport that a second ship with 10-day cruises, and some more support from hotels and parking vendors, can't fix.

And some marketing and TA education, to dissolve the "there's no hotels, nothing to do" myth. Local TAs don't seem to know cruising and cruise TAs don't know Houston.

Nothing wrong with Galveston either, both ports should enjoy increased passengership as more locals discover the pleasures of cruising.

Galveston has the built-for-tourists Pleasure Pier, the edutainment complex Moody Gardens (highly recommend), the historic Strand District (a must-go during the Dickens Festival!)...

Bayport has the built-for- tourists Kemah Boardwalk, the edutainment complex Space Center Houston (try to go for the Ballunar Festival), and historic Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battleground.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Thank you for the additional information. My first cruise was from Galveston and was a great time, really liked the city. Hoping my next cruise is as trouble free as possible.