Machu Picchu excursion of Galapagos cruise

ppiew

First I don't want to offend anyone by posting this but wasn't real sure where to post! We have completed the Machu Picchu part Didn't know if we would for a while. Got to Miami And plane had mechanical problems waited four hours before they canceled flight. Lucky we got rebooked on midnight flight arriving at 6 AM so we called hotel in Lima but they had no reservation for us then called Silver seas 24 hours service found out our name was spelled wrong. The service was excellent they gave us the meet and greet man's name and a mobile phone number and we got to Lima in the morning and to the hotel about seven or 8 o'clock. We had breakfast son and daughter decided to go to the driving range at the golf club across the street. Found out there was a dress code even for the driving range so she had to buy Bermuda shorts and a collared polo. Next am came many of the early wake up calls. I think this one was around 3 o'clock. We had to go to the airport and fly to Cuzcos ( about 1 1/4 hrs). We then took the van for about two hours to the train, climbed on the Hiram Bingham for a great 3 hr ride with entertainment and a nice luncheon. Then we changed to a small bus at Aqua. Calientes road up the mountain about 1/2 hr or so, got out walked upstairs around the rock washout and Reboard the bus. In a short time we went to the turnstiles at Machu Picchu and after I went around the corner and saw the ruins my jaw dropped. This is truly worth a trip for anyone will write some more in a bit.

I am so delighted to hear from you and to know you there. Remnet what I said about snow nightmares ? Well it snowed last night in denver and is snowing again now. When are you in Quito ? We may very we'll be there at the same time. Anyway-looking forward to what happens next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in Quito right now!! Headed for th SS ship tomorrow. Our meet and greet guy from Akorn was excellent behind belief!! He pushed us yo every flight on time found luggage and personal items left behind etc. they are fortunate to have him. Also had an excellent lady guide at MP she was great and told us about the various rooms etc. we were lucky it rained, it sure reduced the crowds!! forget about buy expensive rain gear-I saw a multitude of the plastic knee length variety being sold for a buck or more and many with logos on them too. The second day some went for a guided tour thru the lower parts of the ruins and so e of us got up at the crack of dawn and saw the clouds and mists rising and falling. From the Sun Gate to light up the site. No words can describe the immensity of this place or the beauty.

To be sure I couldn't have done any of that without my son and daughter. I will be grateful forever. After we left Machu Picchu we headed towards Cuzco again this time to stay a night. We were. Staying. At the Hotel Monastario. WOW wow wOW!!!! Between the cathedrals and this stunner it was incredible. There really has to be a reworking of the schedule to accommodate this. Cuzco really requires at least a half a day best full-day.

Akorn had given us a bag with a welcome letter and a small gift and before boarding the train Orient Express gave us duffle bags!! the hotel accommodations on this trip were stellar as were the eating arrangements. Food everwhere we went was over the top. It would be pretty hard to criticize any of the tour operators. They truly could not have been better or done more.

This is kind of a sore spot with many but somehow should be addressed. Several couples had tipped the guide and the leader from Akorn. So others didn't because they felt that SS was all inclusive. There really is confusion with this issue. Nobody tries to offend but thus situation is uncomfortable.

Hola ppiew!

So glad to hear that you made it to MP and it lived up to your expectations! It is truly amazing; well worth the trip. We would have climbed over rocks the whole way up the mountain to see it.

We also were amazed at all of the great Peruvian cuisine that we had on our trip - so much so that we now seek out Peruvian-style restaurants here in the states. Glad to hear that the Monasterio is still beautiful as well.

Thanks for letting us know - we had our fingers crossed for you! Hope that enjoy the rest of your trip as well.

Thanks for your report, ppiew. This is just getting me ready for my post cruise private tour of Machu Picchu/Cusco in August. Luckily we have two days in Cusco and are also staying at the Hotel Monastario. Has anyone in your group been effected by the altitude? Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to more of your posts.

And the monasterio is a great and historic hotel. I still remember a couple of our meals there.

Still carrying around some of those meals... :rolleyes: All those tasty different varieties of potato sure stick to your ribs, under your belt, etc...