Rental Cars at Catania Port?

yvonneh

Yes, we do have a suggestion. Last year we rented a car right at the port (inside the terminal building) and I believe it was from Avis (we are not home and do not have all our old documents). As I recall we had an issue when we tried to reserve on usual Avis web site because it showed the port office always sold out. This was a glitch in their computer programming which they have hopefully fixed. If not, we were able to actually book by using one of the Avis European web sites....or you can just call their toll free number. They had the cars parked right at the port so it was very convenient.

Hank

Thank you, Hank!! You will probably answer my new thread question as well! :)

I so appreciate your help and advice!

Happy to help with Catania, but if you are now referring to your new post about Split we cannot offer any advice. That is one place we have yet to visit on either a cruise or land trip.

Hank

Happy to help with Catania, but if you are now referring to your new post about Split we cannot offer any advice. That is one place we have yet to visit on either a cruise or land trip.

Hank

Where did you go when you rented your car in Catania? Do you have any suggestions for the day? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

Where did you go when you rented your car in Catania? Do you have any suggestions for the day? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

Ahhhh, and here we have a total senior moment. DW and I are not at home (where we have all kinds of info on our prior trips) so we are racking our shrinking brains. We did not go to Taormina (of Castlemola) since we have been to that area on several occasions. I think we drove down to Syracuse and also explored some smaller inland roads...but this is one of those times where all the trips blend together and to quote DW, "my goodness, I have no idea, Dear."

Hank

P.S. The next time we get to Catania we will have to drive down the coast to Syracuse so we can jog our memories LOL

Ahhhh, and here we have a total senior moment. DW and I are not at home (where we have all kinds of info on our prior trips) so we are racking our shrinking brains. We did not go to Taormina (of Castlemola) since we have been to that area on several occasions. I think we drove down to Syracuse and also explored some smaller inland roads...but this is one of those times where all the trips blend together and to quote DW, "my goodness, I have no idea, Dear."

Hank

P.S. The next time we get to Catania we will have to drive down the coast to Syracuse so we can jog our memories LOL

Well, I think it is pretty cool that you have been fortunate enough to have been there so many times your trips run together! We hope to follow in your footsteps! :)

Well, I think it is pretty cool that you have been fortunate enough to have been there so many times your trips run together! We hope to follow in your footsteps! :)

It is almost like a riddle. What is better, to be young and remember every detail of every trip, or be old and have taken so many trips that it is difficult to remember anything. About the only thing that has not faded with age is our passion to travel. But sometimes I do think we need to keep returning to some of the same places to reinforce lost memories :).:o:o

It is almost like a riddle. What is better, to be young and remember every detail of every trip, or be old and have taken so many trips that it is difficult to remember anything. About the only thing that has not faded with age is our passion to travel. But sometimes I do think we need to keep returning to some of the same places to reinforce lost memories :).:o:o

This is true. That is why we are returning to Italy. Been there before but there are lots of places we have not visited.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in port on a SUNDAY, and Avis isn't open. Any other idea's??

Are there any other car rentals at the port that are open on Sunday?

Hank?? Anyone? :confused:

That is unfortunate. Reality is that most rental car agencies in Italy and France are closed on Sundays and Holidays...with the exception of some agencies at major airports. As far as I know, Avis was the only agency located at the port facility. In your situation we would try to directly contact that port Avis agency and find out if they are planning to open because a ship is in port (this does sometimes happen in Italy). Otherwise, we just noticed that the Hertz location at Catania Airport is open on Sunday....but that might be more hassle then it is worth.

Hank

That is unfortunate. Reality is that most rental car agencies in Italy and France are closed on Sundays and Holidays...with the exception of some agencies at major airports. As far as I know, Avis was the only agency located at the port facility. In your situation we would try to directly contact that port Avis agency and find out if they are planning to open because a ship is in port (this does sometimes happen in Italy). Otherwise, we just noticed that the Hertz location at Catania Airport is open on Sunday....but that might be more hassle then it is worth.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. Is it far to the airport? I will have to try to google it. Yes, it would be a hassle, but I hate not to get out and explore. This is one of the stops that I am so looking forward to! We have never been there!

I have time to plan this. I can try to call Avis again closer to the sail date like you suggested…and I did call Hertz today, and yes, the airport location is open.

Maybe I can get one of them to meet me at the port with the car. I am happy I noticed this early.

I really do not want to do a tour. But, maybe this will be one stop that we don't have a choice. It will be a first, that's for sure! Not giving up yet, though!

Thank you, Hank. Is it far to the airport? I will have to try to google it. Yes, it would be a hassle, but I hate not to get out and explore. This is one of the stops that I am so looking forward to! We have never been there!

I have time to plan this. I can try to call Avis again closer to the sail date like you suggested…and I did call Hertz today, and yes, the airport location is open.

Maybe I can get one of them to meet me at the port with the car. I am happy I noticed this early.

I really do not want to do a tour. But, maybe this will be one stop that we don't have a choice. It will be a first, that's for sure! Not giving up yet, though!

We have never been to the airport, but a quick glance at Google Maps shows its perhaps 3 miles from the cruise port The problem, in Italy, is trying to get a taxi to do the short haul trips since most taxis that show up at ports are looking for full day tours. The good news is that the Catania port is actually right in the city (we walked into the center in less then a half hour) so you might have decent luck finding a taxi to get you to the airport. Sometimes the rental car companies will do pick-ups...but perhaps that would be stretching your luck :).

So here is the thing about Europe. When we book cruises we pay very particular attention to where the ship will be on Sunday (and Monday's in Italy) since these are problem days for most independent travel. In addition, many things in Italy are closed on Sundays. Sundays do become an interesting challenge :)

Hank

• 4 months later...

Just a FYI for those traveling to Catania on a Sunday, Avis did open, like Hank said! We were so thrilled! The gentleman that was working there that day was fantastic too. He even drove us back to the ship awards so we didn't have to walk. What a day! Can't wait to go back!!