UK cruisers who have used BA Fly/cruise package

Blondie008

I have only just discovered - that although we know our flights - we will not be given our British Airways reference number - cannot log in to my BA exec account, buy seat allocation etc. Cant check in 24 hours prior as is my routine with regular BA flights.

Totally new for me as with any other cruiseline I have always been given the reference numbers etc. Costa for example, we fly cruise and are always given our BA and/or KLM reference numbers - when booked as a fly cruise. Same with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Been told that we cannot even check in online - seems VERY odd for a BA flight.

Our outgoing flight is with the cheap no frills Jet2 (was astounded at that one) - but the times are good, direct flight - and at least with that one we are able to buy seats and were given our reference numbers. Can add extra baggage - and that flight is short haul so not so bad.

For return trip (from Miami) which is BA - been told - nope - we need to wait until the actual check in desk (does anyone use this nowadays) to choose seating etc -(well - not choose exactly as its obvious we will be given the leftovers)

There is not an option as I understand there is in the USA to have Premium Air - this is not a UK option.

Our only option is to upgrade our flights to world traveller plus at £250 per person - considering this.

UK only - what was your experience with BA flights when booking a fly cruise. I cant make sense of it at all??

I have only just discovered - that although we know our flights - we will not be given our British Airways reference number - cannot log in to my BA exec account, buy seat allocation etc. Cant check in 24 hours prior as is my routine with regular BA flights.

Totally new for me as with any other cruiseline I have always been given the reference numbers etc. Costa for example, we fly cruise and are always given our BA and/or KLM reference numbers - when booked as a fly cruise. Same with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Been told that we cannot even check in online - seems VERY odd for a BA flight.

Our outgoing flight is with the cheap no frills Jet2 (was astounded at that one) - but the times are good, direct flight - and at least with that one we are able to buy seats and were given our reference numbers. Can add extra baggage - and that flight is short haul so not so bad.

For return trip (from Miami) which is BA - been told - nope - we need to wait until the actual check in desk (does anyone use this nowadays) to choose seating etc -(well - not choose exactly as its obvious we will be given the leftovers)

There is not an option as I understand there is in the USA to have Premium Air - this is not a UK option.

Our only option is to upgrade our flights to world traveller plus at £250 per person - considering this.

UK only - what was your experience with BA flights when booking a fly cruise. I cant make sense of it at all??

Now where do I begin...

Last Oct on Epic TA I booked flights with NCL. Outbound Man -BCN Jet2, which was great, once got edocs and flight info I used that, logged into jet2 and for about £5 upgraded to an exit row seat, printed off boarding card etc..

Now the BA one, the code I had I found a booking ref, entered it into BA website and it showed names and details of all other passengers booked on that flight inc date of birth etc.. I was reluctant to enter the required passport details etc.. The flight back we couldn't check in beforehand, got to the desk and they said my booking ref was wrong, fortunately they found it and got checked in..

I did manage to enter my BA loyalty number which meant at Miami they let me jump the security queue!!

This year I'm doing BA again so hope it's better but got $50 OBC from NCL from the fiasco last year. They denied it was issues with their booking system but the Jet2 flight one was far superior, including flight and crew!!

Now where do I begin...

Last Oct on Epic TA I booked flights with NCL. Outbound Man -BCN Jet2, which was great, once got edocs and flight info I used that, logged into jet2 and for about £5 upgraded to an exit row seat, printed off boarding card etc..

Now the BA one, the code I had I found a booking ref, entered it into BA website and it showed names and details of all other passengers booked on that flight inc date of birth etc.. I was reluctant to enter the required passport details etc.. The flight back we couldn't check in beforehand, got to the desk and they said my booking ref was wrong, fortunately they found it and got checked in..

I did manage to enter my BA loyalty number which meant at Miami they let me jump the security queue!!

This year I'm doing BA again so hope it's better but got $50 OBC from NCL from the fiasco last year. They denied it was issues with their booking system but the Jet2 flight one was far superior, including flight and crew!!

Thanks! So - you didnt get to choose your seat until you were at check in desk - correct?

How did you manage to enter your BA exec number? Did you get your BA points for the flight? Was the BA reference on your eticket?

Thanks for sharing your experience - any pointers help. :)

Oh and thats good to know about Jet2 - I called them yesterday and have to say they were very helpful and like you, was able to obtain good seats for a small charge.

Thanks! So - you didnt get to choose your seat until you were at check in desk - correct?

How did you manage to enter your BA exec number? Did you get your BA points for the flight? Was the BA reference on your eticket?

Thanks for sharing your experience - any pointers help. :)

Oh and thats good to know about Jet2 - I called them yesterday and have to say they were very helpful and like you, was able to obtain good seats for a small charge.

On my edocs I got the flight trip codes which allowed me with surname to log into the BA site and enter details like my exec number and I got the points. But it showed all the other ppl booked on and wouldn't let me select a seat, upgrade or check in online so had to do that at the airport..

On my edocs I got the flight trip codes which allowed me with surname to log into the BA site and enter details like my exec number and I got the points. But it showed all the other ppl booked on and wouldn't let me select a seat, upgrade or check in online so had to do that at the airport..

:eek: Not the most secure system NCL have huh - But at least you were able to pick up the air points. Okdoke - thanks for your help. Just seems a crazy system - that doesnt allow us the ability to pay extra to pre book seating etc, and cant remember the last time we had to check in on the actual day.

Still considering upgrading - just not sure its worth £250 each :rolleyes: -

On the other hand - if I look at the portion assigned to flight costs, the air inclusive is pretty cheap. Thanks again.

Not sure if it is different for US travellers however we are from the UK and had BA flights organised by NCL.

We were able to log in using the reference given by NCL and book seats 24 hours ahead of our flight. Our flights included Edinburgh to Heathrow and Heathrow to Barcelona. We were able to pre-book seats for both legs.

We assume we could have done the same for our return trip but didn't bother as we didn't have Internet access for the return.

Perhaps this isn't the question you are asking and you are more concerned about your BA exec account which is something I can't advise upon.

Not sure if it is different for US travellers however we are from the UK and had BA flights organised by NCL.

We were able to log in using the reference given by NCL and book seats 24 hours ahead of our flight. Our flights included Edinburgh to Heathrow and Heathrow to Barcelona. We were able to pre-book seats for both legs.

We assume we could have done the same for our return trip but didn't bother as we didn't have Internet access for the return.

Perhaps this isn't the question you are asking and you are more concerned about your BA exec account which is something I can't advise upon.

Nope - I am more concerned about the ability to check in at least 24 hours prior and choose our seats as you have been able to do. I have been told that we will not receive our BA reference numbers - I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens once we are ticketed.

My experience with other cruiselines, has been that - we have in advance, been given our locator reference - and been able to login to BA manage my booking facility - in advance. For example, choose three seats together (at an upsale charge) and if we wish - exit row seats.

My BA points - of course I want to add them if possible as I use BA regularly. A minor detail but normally - I would add my executive number to any BA flight whether booked direct, or booked as part of a fly cruise package.

Perhaps the issue applies only to long haul flight -

Hoping I have the same experience as you - that would be great.

We may upgrade to world traveller plus - still swithering. If we upgrade, they have told us they will give us the locator reference.

Thanks for your input.

We have done London to Venice and London to Rome using NCL/BA. First time we went economy and had to book in at the terminal. As has been said, NCL have block bookings and BA can't or won't give individuals a flight locator. Probably a BA thing because they are not the most customer focussed organisation in the world after all. Not too much of an issue other than having to wander round the terminal a bit, but there was an NCL rep there and she pointed out where we had to go. Obviously with a 1 hour 45 minute flight we were not too worried.

We upgraded to Club/business at the airport on the way back because Venice was such mayhem and for a hundred euros we got to go straight through the security into the BA lounge and also had a decent seat and lunch.

On our recent Rome trip we decided to go straight away for a business seats both ways to make sure we got decent seats, on-line check-in and use of the lounges at both ends. Well worth the extra both ways. Because we got NCL Guest Services to do the upgrade, we got the flight locator and were able to check-in on-line without any issue. We did not pay the money-grabbing extra to BA to get advance choice of seats but just did the 24 before stuff and got to choose our seats OK. I am afraid BA are getting more like Ryanair every day and seem to be looking all the time to grab extra money at every turn.

The answer seems to be if you use the NCL economy flight seats it will be book in at the airport and choose seats at that point. If you want a direct link to the airline you are using to choose seats and do on-line booking, you will have to upgrade out of the block contract.

Sorry Old Nutter but your information does not reflect our recent experience as posted previously. I can't recall how we were able to access our BA booking but either did it using the flight locator information or even our NCL booking reference. We travelled economy and flights were booked by NCL. We selected seats for both legs of the outward journey at no extra cost via BA website.

Last year I wasn't able to prebook seats via BA at all on a NCL booking, the reference wasn't recognised and it had to be done manually at the check in desk rather than by the machines. I was doing the transatlantic flights, not sure if that makes a difference, or if the system has changed within the last year.

Last year I wasn't able to prebook seats via BA at all on a NCL booking, the reference wasn't recognised and it had to be done manually at the check in desk rather than by the machines. I was doing the transatlantic flights, not sure if that makes a difference, or if the system has changed within the last year.

Yes mine was a transatlantic flight as well Miami - Heathrow.

Even if you book BA independently, you cannot select seats without paying extra.

Because of that we stopped flying BA. One time we were out to dinner when the 24 hour mark came. When I finally checked in online 3 hours later, I was not able to get 3 seats together!

Just imagine if you are a family with 2 or 3 small kids ..... pay extra (lots of money for long hauls) or be separated ...

Just imagine if you are a family with 2 or 3 small kids ..... pay extra (lots of money for long hauls) or be separated ...

Its only £25 pp each way, or £50 pp for extra leg room - on long haul. When you are paying for a long haul flight its neither here nor there.

Still undecided as to whether its worth £250 pp though :confused: for WTPlus.

Remember charge or no charge, the CAA have rules about seating family groups

CAA guidelines ask airlines to develop procedures for the seat allocation of family groups, particularly when a group includes children. It is probable that family group members would seek each other out should an emergency evacuation be required, an action that could adversely affect the passenger flow rates towards emergency exits and might seriously affect the outcome of an evacuation.

Additionally, children and infants should be seated where they can be adequately supervised by an accompanying adult in the event of turbulence or a decompression in the cabin.

Airlines procedures should take into account the following factors:

Children, accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. In wide-bodied aircraft, children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults.

:eek: Not the most secure system NCL have huh - But at least you were able to pick up the air points. Okdoke - thanks for your help. Just seems a crazy system - that doesnt allow us the ability to pay extra to pre book seating etc, and cant remember the last time we had to check in on the actual day.

Still considering upgrading - just not sure its worth £250 each :rolleyes: -

On the other hand - if I look at the portion assigned to flight costs, the air inclusive is pretty cheap. Thanks again.

Nope - I am more concerned about the ability to check in at least 24 hours prior and choose our seats as you have been able to do. I have been told that we will not receive our BA reference numbers - I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens once we are ticketed.

My experience with other cruiselines, has been that - we have in advance, been given our locator reference - and been able to login to BA manage my booking facility - in advance. For example, choose three seats together (at an upsale charge) and if we wish - exit row seats.

My BA points - of course I want to add them if possible as I use BA regularly. A minor detail but normally - I would add my executive number to any BA flight whether booked direct, or booked as part of a fly cruise package.

Perhaps the issue applies only to long haul flight -

Hoping I have the same experience as you - that would be great.

We may upgrade to world traveller plus - still swithering. If we upgrade, they have told us they will give us the locator reference.

Thanks for your input.

On last trip on BA we got bumped up to WTP for the outward leg ... and we found it so uncomfortable - the seat is so metal and the armrest doesn't move. The tray comes from the armrest, not the seat in front of you.

We found the WT seat more comfortable on the return leg.

• 9 months later...

hi how did you all go on with your flights from uk to Miami?

Did you manage to get seats together or next to window?

Could you prebook seats and check in before hand?

Was the food and drink service good and included?

We fly from Manchester to Heathrow than miami with BA. In February 2015. Then fly back to uk on American Airlines,

If you flew back with AA was that ok. Was the food and drinks included?

Plus what happens with luggage do we hand It in at manchester and collect it at Miami?

I paid a small charge via ba's website to allocate a seat... Otherwise you can't choose until 24 hours before. I got window seat. I was travelling alone. Food and drink on ba is amazing!! Complementary bar!!

With aa, food and drink isn't quite as good, for instance you only get complementary alcohol with the main meal, and in general food quality is poorer. At a guess luggage will be checked all the way to Miami, but they will lower you know at Manchester what the current deal is.

I paid a small charge via ba's website to allocate a seat... Otherwise you can't choose until 24 hours before. I got window seat. I was travelling alone. Food and drink on ba is amazing!! Complementary bar!!

With aa, food and drink isn't quite as good, for instance you only get complementary alcohol with the main meal, and in general food quality is poorer. At a guess luggage will be checked all the way to Miami, but they will lower you know at Manchester what the current deal is.

Thanks Kirsty. How did you get your booking up on BA website, had you booked your flights yourself or did you do a fly/cruise package with ncl.?

Thanks Kirsty. How did you get your booking up on BA website, had you booked your flights yourself or did you do a fly/cruise package with ncl.?

I did ncls fly/cruise, and you get your booking reference for ba when your edocs are ready.

I did ncls fly/cruise, and you get your booking reference for ba when your edocs are ready.

That was not the case on our cruise in October. Our flight locator ref was there - but one cannot administrate the booking and one cannot check in, choose seats etc with BA online.

It may have changed - but the case for us returning from Miami on the TA - was check in at Miami and only THEN could we choose seats etc..

race to check in!!

• 1 month later...

Hi. we fly in 23 days to join epic in Miami on a ncl fly cruise package.we are flying with BA from Heathrow to miami.and are flying back with AA . Were staying at the cambria suites hotel the night before cruise. Has any recent UK passengers done this and how was your experience with the flights,transfers,and hotel. I asked this question a while ago but want more recent experiences. Thanks.

hi sorry to jump in but i`ve been worried about how to go about the advance passenger info you have to give the airlines before you fly . we have a ncl fly criuse booked for April and i`ve been worried about this . have phoned ncl customer services and they were no help at all . did you fill this in on line yourself direct with the airline or did ncl take care of it for you ?