Shopping for DH and need your suggestions~!

Amy2005

Hi

We are headed for Alaska on Aug 12 (X Mercury). DH (44) has consented to renting a tux for formal nights! However, he is an engineer who is used to casual.......wearing dockers and a button up shirt....

For informal nights he will wear a 15 year old (rarely worn)blue blazer.......could probably be a size larger but I got him to wear a tux.........so I won't push it. Can he wear this with Dockers? If so what color? I would really like to buy him a pair of dress pants to go with the blazer.......color? He is 36x32......and should probably be a 34 and used to be a 32........so he does have a belly........... Pleated or unpleated?

Cuffed? He would like to wear short sleeve dress shirts....color suggestions? Also.......how about a tie? Color? Style?

Thanks for you help! Amy

I like khaki or gray pants with a navy blazer.

Flat front are more flattering; pleated add fabric in an anrea he probably doesn't want to look larger.

I don't care for the look of a short sleeved shirt under a blazer, think it looks better with a 1/2 inch of cuff showing.

gray or khaki dress pants would look much nicer, but he could get away with dockers with a blazer and tie. The same with short sleeves. The 1/2 inch of cuff looks classier than bare wristbones, but he could get away with it on Informal nights. The key is whether he wants to look nice, or just do the minimum to slide by.

Flat-front pants are more flattering on anyone who isn't slender, and no cuffs is a cleaner look than cuffed.

Don't let him wear flip-flops on formal night, though. :D

Allen

You didn't say what fabric the navy blazer is. If it's a tropical weight wool, there are lots of options.

DH can wear tropical weight wool dress pants (gabardine) in grey or tan.

Yes, he can wear the blazer over a pair of casual cotton pants, but make sure they're very crisp looking/freshly pressed and without casual details like cargo pockets.

Short sleeved shirts are best for casual wear and IMO look silly with a tie.

Though pleats are out for womens pants, they're still an accepted look for menswear. However, for the cotton pants I'd go with the clean front non-pleat look and for the wool gabardine I'd say that it's a matter of which ones look better on him.

As to cuffs, I think that if the pants are plain front, leave off the cuffs. If the pants are pleated, then it's personal choice as either works.

Hi again,

You have all helped out so much. I think I will get him a couple dress shirts (LONG sleeve). Recommendations for colors?

I will look for grey pants for him as well. No pleats and no cuffs.

I would like to get him a new tie. Suggestions for color? He has beautiful blue eyes.

Oh...and definitely no flip flops;)

Thanks again!

IMHO, short sleeves does not make a dress shirt. I have never liked the look of a short sleeve with a tie.

Light blue or white looks good with navy and gray. Also, an olive green dress pant with a white shirt looks good with a navy blazer and possibly cordovan slip on dress shoes. When it comes to ties, I'd try to match, but not necessary totally match.

For dress pants, DH prefers pleated w/cuffs. However, with a suit, he prefers pleated/no cuff.

I'm sooo glad you decided on the long sleeves! ;)

Light blue or white looks good with navy and gray. ;)

So does light-pink, if your hubby is "secure" enough to wear it.:D On our upcoming Brilliance trip on Saturday, I'll probably wear a dark blue blazer on the Smart Casual nights (I'm taking a dark suit, though, just in case, and I'll have my tuxedo for formal nights). I just bought a nice light-pink shirt to wear with it and I have several seersucker ties from Brooks Brothers that are combinations of blue, pink, red or white stripes that will look downright "spiffy".

Allen

Archived