Sony NEX cameras

kristinp36

I enjoy photography as a serious hobby and love taking pics while on vacation. I shoot with a Canon 5d Mark III and usually a 24-70l lens. The past few cruises I have taken my equipment as well as a point and shoot camera. I am finding myself using the point and shoot more and more on vacation and the DSLR more at home on photo outings. This past weekend I flew to Florida for the weekend and didn't even take the DSLR. I used the point and shoot but I always find the performance lacking in image quality and I HATE the shutter lag.

I have heard good things about the NEX cameras and think they might be a good alternative for vacations. I would love info from people with personal experience. Do they have shutter lag? Image quality? etc. Pros/Cons.

Hi,

I use a NEX 7, not able to compare the shutter lag to your camera, but it is noticeably less than a point and shoot camera. The image quality is pretty good, although not full-frame, Sony does have a light weight camera out now that does provide this, Model:ILCE7RB, but is considerably more expensive.

ILCE7RB

Shutter Speeds:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps) up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto slow shutter mode)

NEX 7

Shutter Speeds : 1/4000 to 30 seconds, bulb

I am very happy with my NEX 7, have a few lenses, including an A mount lense that requires an adaptor, and have had no issues (so far). The downside is no built in GPS. Once you get used to the various controls, you can take over most aspects of the camera, so if there was a manual configuration you used on your SLR, you can probably set it up on the NEX 7, would expect the same capability with the ILCE7RB.

There are a number of cameras now that provide very similar capabilities from Nikon etc, so you should be spoilt for choice. Also, if you have some lenses that you like with your current camera, there may be an adapter you can get to use them on your new camera.

Enjoy your shopping!!

About as close as you are going to get to an authority on shutter lag is http://www.imaging-resource.com

For the NEX-7, it looks to have shutter lag nearly equivalent to entry-level DSLR performance.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX7/NEX7A6.HTM

Not quite the performance of your DSLR, most people would probably find it acceptable for all but the most demanding needs.

To date, the mirrorless cameras having the least shutter lag are the Nikon 1 cameras.

For reference, a 90mph fastball travels 13ft in 0.1sec, so for sports and action photography, plan accordingly.

Edited by awboater

I have taken my NEX 7 on the last few cruises and with the exception of Alaska where I was planning on shooting wildlife, I left the DSLR at home. Shutter lag never entered into the picture (pun intended) and at .022 sec. after a half-press prefocus, it reacts much faster than I do. For normal vacation shots and even those pesky grandchildren, it focuses fast enough and for scenery, even the shutter lag in an 8x10 view camera is irrelevant.

Here is a link to our "NEX only" cruise, I was pleased with the resuts:

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/reflection2013

It isn't the best camera for every situation because the best camera for every situation is probably two or three cameras! As a compromise between size, convenience and performance, I have not found it to be much of a compromise.

Dave

Note too that some NEX models have an electronic first-curtain shutter which practically eliminates shutter lag when engaged. Focus lag and shutter lag are two very different things, but if you remove the focus lag from the equation, assuming you have already achieved focus and want to take the shot the instant you press the shutter button, with electronic first-curtain engaged, there is essentially zero lag - as fast as the best DSLRs.

Focus is where DSLRs tend to be a little faster - at least once you introduce low light into the picture, and in focus tracking with continuous focus, which mirrorless cameras generally aren't as good at as DSLRs. Even the very best mirrorless cameras can't match DSLR focus performance yet - the combination of continuous focus tracking and low light sensitivity are still the forte of DSLRs.

I shoot with a NEX-5n and a DSLR side by side, and love them both - there is very little the mirrorless camera cannot do which the DSLR can - and with practice and familiarity, the mirrorless can be used to shoot almost any style or subject - but the DSLR may still occasionally be the better tool for the job as long as weight and bulk don't matter. If weight and bulk are a factor though, that's where NEX and mirrorless cameras in general really shine.

I was in a somewhat similar situation. I ended up deciding that I would not go to a interchangeable lens system just yet. When I do it may end up replacing my full size DSLR. I liked the Sony NEX bodies the best but found the lens selection lacking. And, going to something like the NEX would still mean a camera around my neck on a strap. Much smaller and lighter than my DSLR but still hanging around my neck.

I ended up focusing on something that would go in my pocket but take better pictures than your average point and shoot so I focused on large sensor pocketable cameras. I could not bring myself to be stuck with one focal length lens so I ended up getting a Sony RX100ii. It offers all the controls over photo parameters like a DSLR but at the expense of larger, more easily accessible buttons and controls. It's 1" sensor is a big improvement over traditional P&S and it's a camera that I don't leave behind because it's too big.

So, right now I have three cameras that get regular use:

DSLR for big trips and when the size & weight is not an issue.

High end pocket camera for average weekend trips or when traveling light.

A rugged, waterproof camera for rough and wet times when I want a camera.