RCI Gift Certificate - read the fine print

Don't make the same mistake I did ~ "Gift Certificate must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift Certificates can not be redeemed onboard" (10 days prior to your cruise).

I realize I was at fault, but seriously, who reads the fine print on a gift certificate? One would assume that it could be taken on the ship and USED just like any other gift certificate.

Went to Guest Services and the Hotel Manager, they all refused to budge. Really RCI...you need to change your policy!

Don't make the same mistake I did ~ "Gift Certificate must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift Certificates can not be redeemed onboard" (10 days prior to your cruise).

I realize I was at fault, but seriously, who reads the fine print on a gift certificate? One would assume that it could be taken on the ship and USED just like any other gift certificate.

Went to Guest Services and the Hotel Manager, they all refused to budge. Really RCI...you need to change your policy!

Not sure if they are the same ones that I had, but had 2 $100 GCs from a cruise in 2007 (credit card rewards). Same issue. Needed to be used towards payment not OB charges. FINALLY used them on my upcoming cruise.

Just think of it as a reason to cruise again :)

Not sure if they are the same ones that I had, but had 2 $100 GCs from a cruise in 2007 (credit card rewards). Same issue. Needed to be used towards payment not OB charges. FINALLY used them on my upcoming cruise.

Just think of it as a reason to cruise again :)

Not sure about the restrictions on non RCL Visa CC rewards, but RCL Visa rewards can be used for OBC ($50 per 5,000 points) or to reduce the cruise fare, and we get RCL gift certificates from our kids that we always use for OBC. And the redemption limitations aren't exactly "fine print". They're printed in bold type on the certificate itself right between the big "who it's from and how much it's for" certificate box and the two redemption codes.

Not sure about the restrictions on non RCL Visa CC rewards, but RCL Visa rewards can be used for OBC ($50 per 5,000 points) or to reduce the cruise fare, and we get RCL gift certificates from our kids that we always use for OBC. And the redemption limitations aren't exactly "fine print". They're printed in bold type on the certificate itself right between the big "who it's from and how much it's for" certificate box and the two redemption codes.

I found out that there are MANY types of RCL gift certificates, cards, etc. each with different restrictions/redemption terms. The two I had did not have two redemption codes. Actually had to mail them in to get the credit.

For my situation, I did not get the certificate in hand until after the cruise was paid in full. There was minimal information on the cc reward site that I ordered the certificates. It was a minor disappointment as I had to wait to use them, but the GCs did not have an expiration date, so luckily I had no problems using them 8 years later.

And the RCI gift certificates actually need to be redeemed 10 business days prior to your sailing date. BTW, the purchase of OBC via Gifts & Gear has been discussed on CC, as it is much simpler and easier than the gift certificate redemption. I'm sorry that the gc issue occured. I like the comment by Laney219, to think of it as a reason to cruise again. :)