Power strips & extension cords

bosoxfan23061

Does Carnival allow power strips and extension cords to be brought on? We will be on the Dream leaving from Cape Canaveral in April. I have sleep apnea and use a breathing machine at night; from what I've been told there is only one outlet in the room and it's not near the bed. Also, we will need to charge electronics (cell phones, cameras, e-readers, etc). Anyone with personal experience in this?

Thanks in advance!

Does Carnival allow power strips and extension cords to be brought on? We will be on the Dream leaving from Cape Canaveral in April. I have sleep apnea and use a breathing machine at night; from what I've been told there is only one outlet in the room and it's not near the bed. Also, we will need to charge electronics (cell phones, cameras, e-readers, etc). Anyone with personal experience in this?

Thanks in advance!

I've taken both on board without problem.

lots of people have then confiscated. if the person checking thinks its a fire hazard, they will take them. Try to take a brand new one just to be safe.

In the worst case scenario, if they take it, they will provide you one if you request it.

most of the time, they go through with no problem.

I packed a small one (3 outlet) in our carryon & had no problems. See if you can find a picture of your actual cabin (there's a website, but I can't remember the name of it). Turns out, we didn't need our strip. In our cabin, you would've had no problem plugging your CPAP into the outlet & using it at night.

Thanks in advance!

Just got off the Pride today and used a UL approved power strip all week and kept it on the counter the whole week and never removed it.

I had an extension cord with 4 spots to plug items into taken on the Fascination out of Charleston in December 2012. It was returned the morning of debarkation. It was packed in my checked luggage. Our travel companions had something that plugged directly into an outlet that had 4 extra outlets on it (I'm sure that has a name, just don't know what it is) in their carry on and brought onboard no problems.

Just off the Breeze yesterday. We took a power strip with 6 outlets. It was packed in our luggage. We used it the entire time. It was out on the vanity the entire time with my hair dryer & clock plugged into it. Never had any issues.

My bad, they are allowed according to the FAQ but

"Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

However, in case you don't or it does get taken - John Heald did cover this question this week. Apparently if you require it for something like you sleep machine you can request an extension cord from guest services and they will provide you with one.

Edited by 1kaper
incorrect information

We have the C-Pap issue for my husband so I know where you're coming from. I remember the HUGE machine we used to have to travel with when we were first married. So compact now. We have brought extension cords for this purpose on board after our first cruise... had real trouble getting one from Steward when we didn't realize there was only 1 outlet on the other side of the room from the bed. Make sure you bring it in your carry on, it just makes it easier. I usually pack it with the machine in case they question it but have had no issues. Make sure its at least 6 ft if not longer.. better to have extra length than to have it stretched. Duct tape is also handy to tape it down to the floor since it usually has to cross the room and go under the bed. YOu don't want to be tripping on it.

I would pack in your checked luggage. We had a sound machine in a carryon bag at Pt. Canaveral to get on the Dream. It was this.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-DS-Speed-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B000KUHFGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391454839&sr=8-3&keywords=sounds+machine

Security took it and said I could go to Guest Services and see about getting it back. I went to Guest Services the first night and they said they didn't know why it was confiscated, but they have the discretion to return it. It was delivered to my stateroom.

I'm just mentioning this to say that if something does get confiscated, I'm sure that you can go to Guest Services and explain the circumstances and they can make a determination.