More laundry questions

Thebes

Hello cruisers,

Simple Q : would laundry package be appropriate to use for pressing my dark suit for formal nights or do I need a different package ? I mean would it be ok if I give them my suit ? I don't care if they dry clean it " while it's clean already " and then press it. Thank you guys & gals :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would never again use the dry cleaning service onboard. Several years ago I sent a brand new sports jacket for dry cleaning to remove a food stain. When the jacket was returned the sleeves and collar had shrunk. the lapels had lost all their stiffness and the jacket lining hung below the cuffs and the bottom of the jacket. They had washed it instead of dry cleaning it. The jacket was beyond repair and the only compensation they made was a $100 shipboard credit. They told me that was the maximum they were permitted to pay

regardless of the value of the item.

If you deem the cost of the laundry package is worth a pressing service go for it.

If pressing of the suit is all you require I suggest one of 3 options.

1) Inquire if they will provide the pressing service for a reduced price.

2) Request an iron from the front desk and do your own pressing. My wife does this.

3) Pay the dry cleaning charge but opt for and specify pressing only .

If the only thing you need is to have your suit pressed don't bother getting any kind of "package" just fill out the slip indicating all you want is for it to be pressed leave it on your bed and your stateroom steward will take it from there. Just make certain you do it enough in advance that you have it back for the time you want to wear it. If you are already getting a "laundry package" that does not cover dry cleaning. What they wash they iron without charge but if you just want it pressed along with you other laundry there may be a charge.

BTB, have you ever tried just hanging it on the bathroom door when you shower as that warm moist air can really take care of lots of wrinkles? Also recommend you leave it in a dry cleaning type bag and layer other clothes over it before folding it around them. You might find you have no wrinkles to worry about. :D

Wow, Good to know! We usually bring camp suds and a portable clothesline and do our own laundry, but I had considered using the laundry service on our next cruise as we will be on board for 11 days. I am now rethinking this! Thanks for posting.

Wow, Good to know! We usually bring camp suds and a portable clothesline and do our own laundry, but I had considered using the laundry service on our next cruise as we will be on board for 11 days. I am now rethinking this! Thanks for posting.

Since the Noordam does not have washers/dryers for cruisers own use I do recommend the "Laundry Package" @ $7.00 a day for unlimited laundry or at least the always available "stuff the bag" (and it holds lots) offer at $20. In either case you clothing will come back pressed and, according to your directions, either folded & wrapped in tissue or on hangers. They do a wonderful job.

We've sent laundry out on all HAL cruises and it has all been done very well. We've never used their dry cleaning so can't comment on that. There is a laundry sheet you fill out each time so they would definitely know if it was laundry or dry cleaning. The laundry package is worthwhile if you send out a bag daily or close to that. Otherwise do it by the bag. As to dry cleaning, simply avoid it by not taking anything that will require dry cleaning during the cruise.

Edited by Jemima

If that's the only item you plan on sending for laundering or pressing, fill out the form and indicate what you need done. You don't need a package for a suit.

If you have any questions or need a rush job, talk to your steward, he will be more than happy to lend assistance.

Over the years we have had many items dry cleaned on HAL ships. I have several tops that get dry cleaned. Never had any problems. DH always sends his tux out to be pressed before the first formal dinner and then sends it to be dry cleaned before the last formal dinner. I would caution to make sure you indicate you want the suit "pressed only" or "dry cleaned" so no one confuses it with your laundry package and does, indeed, launder it. Don't stuff it in the laundry bag. :eek:

The absolute only garment I had a problem with was a fancy nightgown. After laundering it they actually tried to iron it - and the lacy trim didn't do so well. I'm sure they thought it was a sundress as it was returned on a hanger. I didn't notice until we were home so I never said anything. Actually, every time I take that gown out of my drawer I smile when I see the "not perfect" lace trim because I remember that I wore it on our last cruise. :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

Excellent. Thanks friends. We're choosing the laundry package anyway but u like the idea of requesting an iron from front desk. Hope they can provide it the first 2 days of the cruise in a timely manner. Thanks again everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent. Thanks friends. We're choosing the laundry package anyway but u like the idea of requesting an iron from front desk. Hope they can provide it the first 2 days of the cruise in a timely manner. Thanks again everyone :) Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming your DW loves to iron on vacation, that's an excellent idea. Me, not so much. ;)

Have a great trip Thebes ... looking forward to your comments when you return.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Excellent. Thanks friends. We're choosing the laundry package anyway but u like the idea of requesting an iron from front desk. Hope they can provide it the first 2 days of the cruise in a timely manner. Thanks again everyone :)

There are no irons available at the Front Desk, because there is no ironing allowed in the cabins.

If your suit needs pressing, send it out to be pressed. Suits don't get laundered, so there will be a charge for pressing.