RCCL excursion to Nevis?

ValerieJo

There are two excursions listed to Nevis, one is a 6 hr. Water taxi and one is a 4 hour Catamaran trip. What exactly is a water taxi? I really wanted to do the 6 hr trip, but I'd much rather go via catamaran.

Has anyone done either or both of these excursions? Any input would be helpful in deciding which one to take.

Thanks!

The catamaran trips are usually a snorkel trip with a sail over to Nevis with lunch on Pinney's Beach. You have a good time but you do not see much of the island of Nevis. If you want to see Nevis, I would check out the water taxi & what is included on Nevis(taxi, tour, lunch etc).

• 2 weeks later...

ValerieJo, I was going to ask the very same things you asked, but fortunately saw your post first! We visited St. Kitts 2 yrs. ago on a cruise and would prefer to do something different.

On another thread someone mentioned that there isn't all that much to see on Nevis, unless you want to see a couple of hotels. These are no doubt the "former plantations" described on RCCL's description of the 6 hr. tour. Generally we do like to check out resorts on various islands, however, a quick walk around and that's enough for us. We get a bit impatient waiting when in large groups, so that might be a deal breaker for us. Plus, this tour departs earlier (9 a.m.?) than the other one (10 a.m.) -another drawback for us. At $120 pp, it seems a bit pricey for what you get, but many ship's excursions are like that.

The other excursion doesn't offer a tremendous value but at least the cat ride should be fun. Somewhere I saw the beach used is right next to the Four Seasons, so I would assume it's a nice one. I also saw a comment that there USED to be a barbecue (event or place?) on this beach but not anymore. I saw another post mentioning that there was supposed to be lunch on the beach, but it was on the cat instead. Surely if RCCL is saying there is one in their description, I would assume there must be one. :confused:

Seems it's not too tough for cruise ship passengers to take the car ferry over and either negotiate a cab tour or rent a scooter, so that might be an option for us, too.

If there is ANYONE out there who has taken both tours, please chime in! Also, even if you have only done one of them, I'd love to read your comments, too!

I wonder what private company they contract with? Blue Safaris or Leeward? If someone has done the RCCL excursion before...do they remember the name of the catamaran? I have contacted both for a private excursion..one said that they sometimes contract with the cruiseline....just curious.

Thanks