TA version of the upgrade fairy

BayAreaCruisers4

We booked through a travel agent for our cruise on the Conquest. Next time I'll book directly through Carnival -- there was no advantage in going through a TA.

I heard that there are still quite a number of empty cabins on this cruise, so I contacted my TA to see if there are any upgrades available for our two cabins (one inside, one OV on deck 2). She emailed me back that there are is only an upgrade available for the OV to a balcony for $320. Not worth it in my opinion, but I'm curious what others think. Should we ask for something else?

Carnival Conquest 2/16/2014

Princess Dawn Princess 2/16/2007

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 12/26/2005

Carnival Paradise 3/4/2005

Carnival Elation 4/13/2003

Norwegian SS Norway 8/3/1991

May I ask you what exactly your expectation was by booking through a TA?

With regards to your upgrade request - if there are no upgrades available, there are simply none available. Certainly not the TA's fault.

We booked through a travel agent for our cruise on the Conquest. Next time I'll book directly through Carnival -- there was no advantage in going through a TA.

I'm sorry - what advantages were you looking for? Did your TA do something wrong?

I heard that there are still quite a number of empty cabins on this cruise, so I contacted my TA to see if there are any upgrades available for our two cabins (one inside, one OV on deck 2). She emailed me back that there are is only an upgrade available for the OV to a balcony for $320. Not worth it in my opinion, but I'm curious what others think. Should we ask for something else?

Carnival Conquest 2/16/2014

Princess Dawn Princess 2/16/2007

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 12/26/2005

Carnival Paradise 3/4/2005

Carnival Elation 4/13/2003

Norwegian SS Norway 8/3/1991

If you have a good TA, it costs nothing more to book through them then it does to book through the ship, and the time when you will be glad you have them (and again I want to emphasis GOOD TA) is when something goes wrong - especially if you are in the middle of your vacation.

Thank you everyone for the replies and information. I appreciate the value of your experience. :-)

It sounds like the discounted upgrade is a fair deal, although I'm not that interested. I was under the (mistaken) impression that Carnival would sometimes offer free upgrades if there is excess inventory. Sounds like no.

Anytime I've called Carnival about this or other things, they always say "Oh, you booked through a travel agent" (like it's a bad thing) and say that they can't help me. I'm not unhappy with my TA - she's done a fine job for me, although I didn't pay any less than I would have through Carnival.

I was wondering if others who booked directly through Carnival we're getting better upgrade offers. I guess not.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by BayAreaCruisers4

Thank you everyone for the replies and information. I appreciate the value of your experience. :-)

It sounds like the discounted upgrade is a fair deal, although I'm not that interested. I was under the (mistaken) impression that Carnival would sometimes offer free upgrades if there is excess inventory. Sounds like no.

Anytime I've called Carnival about this or other things, they always say "Oh, you booked through a travel agent" (like it's a bad thing) and say that they can't help me. I'm not unhappy with my TA - she's done a fine job for me, although I didn't pay any less than I would have through Carnival.

I was wondering if others who booked directly through Carnival we're getting better upgrade offers. I guess not.

Thanks for the info!

I personally always book right thru the cruise line only because we had a case where our TA went bankrupt and left me high and dry. When I have booked directly thru them I tend to get Offers not free and it depends on what the upgrade is to determine if its good or not. This cruise we went from inside room to obstructed view with French doors on Legend for 40.00 total which in my opinion was a no brainer to grab. I also like being more in control of price drops etc. if they were to happen rather than wait for TA to do it. Its all a personal preference as to what is worth it to you or not. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!!