Cape Liberty Pre Cruise Hotel Opinions

Sand_Sun_Sea73

Cruising at the end of March, flying in the day before. After researching my options, I would actually prefer to stay at either Country Inn & Suites or one of the Marriott properties, but I've decided to save $150 - $200 and use my Holiday Inn priority club points.

My choices would be the Holiday Inn Newark Airport or Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth. Both have free airport shuttles, so I would just be paying for a taxi for 2 people on cruise day.

Can anyone give me an idea of taxi price and also, are these safe areas? Any eating establishments within walking distance?

Thank you.

Kim

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. I have not stayed at either hotel, so I can't give you a first hand opinion.

I read the Trip Advisor reviews and I would probably pick the Holiday Inn primarily because the hotel was rebranded several years ago (the Ramada plaza used to be the Holiday Inn) and the rooms were remodeled at that time. Unlike many of the airport hotels, the hotel does have a restaurant so you are not stuck with take out. Don't expect to be able to walk anywhere outside the hotel.

You want to book a car service to go to the port. Expect to pay $50-60. On the way back you can take an airport shuttle for $16/pp.

Not looking for a hotel to serve as a vacation destination, just somewhere to eat dinner and lay our heads, we don't arrive until late afternoon.

Is transportation cost about the same from Elizabeth area? Can I ask why a car service is preferred over a taxi? Just seems easier to jump in a taxi when we're ready.

The transportation costs are about the same. Much of Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth. Airport hotels are also in both Newark and Elizabeth.

You want to book a car service so you know your cost ahead of time. Otherwise the hotel can call you a cab and they can charge whatever they want.

Try Dial7, Carmellimo, Black Executive, or Independent driver - 888-816-0973 (usually a more budget service - book 4-6 weeks ahead)

• 2 weeks later...
Cruising at the end of March, flying in the day before. After researching my options, I would actually prefer to stay at either Country Inn & Suites or one of the Marriott properties, but I've decided to save $150 - $200 and use my Holiday Inn priority club points.

My choices would be the Holiday Inn Newark Airport or Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth. Both have free airport shuttles, so I would just be paying for a taxi for 2 people on cruise day.

Can anyone give me an idea of taxi price and also, are these safe areas? Any eating establishments within walking distance?

Thank you.

Kim

We made our reservations through Stay123 for Crowne Plaza Newark Airport. Had a very good experience. Staff were very nice. Hotel was lovely. Room was very clean with a great view of Manhattan and the Freedom Tower. Book transportation to pier with Abdoul @ Independent Driver. Everything work very well. Abdoul was terrific. By the way, we ate dinner at the hotel and enjoyed our experience. Service was very good.

Edited by BTraveling47