Dawn - Inside Cabin - powered scooter?

kboutin

We're cruising on the Dawn and are considering renting a scooter vs. a wheelchair so my wife can get around easily more independently.

Does anyone have any experience with storing the scooters rented from SNAS? Do they fit in an inside cabin?

Or should we really just go with a wheelchair?

Kurt

We're cruising on the Dawn and are considering renting a scooter vs. a wheelchair so my wife can get around easily more independently.

Does anyone have any experience with storing the scooters rented from SNAS? Do they fit in an inside cabin?

Or should we really just go with a wheelchair?

Kurt

They "just" fit in the doorway, you have to take it slow if there is a turn into the cabin and it takes a couple of times to figure out when to start the turn.

I don't believe that'll be a big deal as my wife is able to walk, just not for long periods of time and very slowly. So, if she had to get out of the scooter so we could better maneuver it into the stateroom, I'm fine with that.

The bigger question is whether or not we'd be able to put it somewhere in the stateroom that's not blocking the bathroom! :)

Kurt

Yes, though we are not in a HC accessible cabin. We didn't want to try to take a space for someone more needy.

Kurt

If you are in a regular cabin, even a wheelchair will not work. You have threshold a the front door and again for the bathroom. Even if she can walk a little, just getting the chair thru the front door will be a problem...folding it because it's too wide and lifting it over the threshold.

If your wife needs a handicap room then ask Ncl to change room. Often non-handicapped people book an accessible room because it is larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

In my opinion, there is not any room at all in regular inside cabins for a scooter. There is hardly enough room for two people and a wastebasket. Do get a handicap-accessible cabin...that is what they are for. Please don't discover that there is not enough room in a regular cabin and decide to park the scooter in the hallway.

Please don't discover that there is not enough room in a regular cabin and decide to park the scooter in the hallway.

Yep, this is very likely situation and leaving scooter outside the cabin is strictly forbidden because of safety regulations - if you do, then the cabin stewards must try to move it to their storage areas and it all becomes a big mess for everybody.

Last July we had an upgraded balcony cabin on the Dawn. I brought a walker with me that had a seat option. This worked wonderfully for me as I could sit when I needed to. The only place that this would fit in our cabin was folded up in the closet. This was also a tight fit but it worked. There would have been no where to put a wheelchair either a regular model or an electric model. This was also much easier to transport as we traveled Bermuda.

Yep, this is very likely situation and leaving scooter outside the cabin is strictly forbidden because of safety regulations - if you do, then the cabin stewards must try to move it to their storage areas and it all becomes a big mess for everybody.

Well, leaving the scooter outside may be forbidden, but I've always encountered a few parked outside inside cabins at night on my cruises. Having seen how little space there is in an inside, I doubt there's any way to store it in the cabin at night.

Having seen how little space there is in an inside, I doubt there's any way to store it in the cabin at night.

Yes, that is why people with mobility issues should definitely book HC cabins, not normal cabins that have no space to store their scooter at night. Scooters left in the hallways are a major safety hazard if something were to happen and the ship (or even just a corridor) was to be evacuated.

Scooter left in the hallway, no matter what anyone has seen, makes it impossible for the rest of us in scooters or wheelchairs to get by. In an emergency, our safety is not thought of and it is definitely a selfish action.

Simply go ahead and book the HC cabin - it just makes sense and will solve

all the issues of ease getting in and out of your stateroom and the dreaded

safety parking issue outside of cabin.

If NCL has a definite need for your HC stateroom that is their problem to

solve to the resolution to all concerned. Who knows you might be bumped

to a suite where the space will be more than adequate to solve any issues !

You are not inconveniencing anyone except yourself - DO IT and enjoy your

cruise !