Half Moon Cay

rtlexi

Need advice. We would like to go and enjoy the day at Half Moon and do some snorkeling with out purchasing an excursion. Not sure if we are able to do that or not. Does anyone who has been there have some advice?:confused:

Edited by rtlexi

Need advice. We would like to go and enjoy the day at Half Moon and do some snorkeling with out purchasing an excursion. Not sure if we are able to do that or not. Does anyone who has been there have some advice?:confused:

Half Moon Cay is a private island, and your ship docks at sea. Tender boats take you to the island, and you can do as little or as much as you want. There are excursions offered through Carnival, but no private tour operators.

The ship provides a lunch on the island, and you can use your Sail and Sign card to order drinks or soda. You can also rent a Cabana (pre-order through Carnival Excursions), but we found that we could find shade, some lounge chairs, and enjoy the ocean and snorkle without getting the Cabana. You can also 'rent' inner tubes, kayaks etc on the island...first come, first served.

LOVED Half Moon Cay (been 2x)...almost worth booking a cruise just for this port !

We love HMC. We have been there 8 times and will be going in September again. I am sorry I do not know anything about the snorkeling. We always get a cabana and love it. Our Grandkids rent kayaks and have a ball out in the water. We book a cruise every year to go to HMC specifically. Have fun!

We love HMC. We have been there 8 times and will be going in September again. I am sorry I do not know anything about the snorkeling. We always get a cabana and love it. Our Grandkids rent kayaks and have a ball out in the water. We book a cruise every year to go to HMC specifically. Have fun!

True. Not good for snorkeling but makes for a wonderful Beach Day. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Best snorkelling is at the very far end of the beach - past all the villas and cabanas. The last time we were there I thought there might be some possibilities to the left as you exit the tender but since we usually rent a cabana we usually walk to the very end of the beach. It is a bit of a walk but still the best snorkelling

See attached map, area indicated by the horseback riding.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1875986

BTW take time to walk out to the sting ray enclosure - Watching participants who signed up for the "swim with the sting rays" is a fun way to spend a half hour.

Best snorkelling is at the very far end of the beach - past all the villas and cabanas. The last time we were there I thought there might be some possibilities to the left as you exit the tender but since we usually rent a cabana we usually walk to the very end of the beach. It is a bit of a walk but still the best snorkelling

See attached map, area indicated by the horseback riding.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1875986

BTW take time to walk out to the sting ray enclosure - Watching participants who signed up for the "swim with the sting rays" is a fun way to spend a half hour.

Just don't try snorkeling anywhere near the horse stables unless you want to see horse poop when you snorkel! :eek:

The snorkeling here is terrible. The majority of the area is bleached sand. There's minimal snorkeling and a few artificial fish habitats near the tender dock/kids play area but nothing to write home about. You may get lucky and see the resident barracuda that frequents the area but compared to every other port I've snorkeled at..HMC doesn't rank at all. It's a BEAUTIFUL beach though and it's a family favorite for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Would not waste money on excursion at Half Moon Cay. It is such a beautiful beach. You can snorkel up and down the beach. Go out as far as you want.

Actually this is incorrect. There are roped areas for swimming in the areas by the cabanas with lifeguards there. If you venture past the ropes, the lifeguards will blow whistles to get your attention and have you come back into the roped areas. If you move away from the lifeguards (say the far end of the beach), then you can go out as far as you want but if you get into trouble, no help will be coming.

Edited by Out to sea!

We plan on snorkeling there!! Our first port (Grand Turk) I was going to book a snorkel excursions but DS (9) has only "practiced" snorkeling in a pool. We realized that if we booked one we might never get him off the boat and into the water. So I booked the Semi-Sub instead so he can "see the fish" but I will not stress on wasted money if he didn't want to snorkel.

So at HMC will be our first real "Snorkel" adventure and again just plan on bringing our out things to use and just see how it goes. If he loves it then we might book an excursion at freeport if they is anything available.

When are you planning on going to HMC?

We were there a couple of weeks ago (1/19/14), and it was cold and windy. It was cold when we left Miami the day before.

Very disappointed and hope when we return on a future cruise we have better weather.

We were there a couple of weeks ago (1/19/14), and it was cold and windy. .

We were in Princess Cay (1/19/14) and it was cold & windy there as well.

We've been to HMC in January on HAL ships. Sometimes, it's warm enough to enjoy walking around ... but, honestly, the water is always too cold for me there in Jan/Feb.

The best to hope for in January is a warm sunny day.

On a Carnival cruise in May HMC was really nice. Lovely place. :)

LuLu

~~~~

The best (and really only) location for snorkeling on Half Moon Cay is near the rocky area over by the Grand Oasis. Some people have reported good snorkeling on the far side of the beach, but I had no luck over there. Your experiences may vary.

RdP :)

Edited by R3D3P

We were there a couple of weeks ago (1/19/14), and it was cold and windy. It was cold when we left Miami the day before.

Very disappointed and hope when we return on a future cruise we have better weather.

Sparky, don't want to high jack this thread, but I know you just did a b2b on Liberty. Are planning a review? I'm wondering how you like the MDR food. Hope to see your comments on a new thread.

Didnt snorkel but think that if you go to the very end of the beach where it says do not go will find rather good snorkeling. If you do this dont go far out and go with a group.

Walked down there (over a mile) and very rocky.

Upon further review you could perhaps get into trouble doing this so please ignore.