Beacon Hill Park- Advice Needed

It's not a very big park compared to, say, Stanley Park in Vancouver. If you want to just walk through on your way to downtown, I'd concentrate on the gardens and ponds just off Douglas. If the weather is nice, you might just want to stay longer and see more of the park. The view from the top is pretty nice.

Here's a link to a map of the park: http://www.victoria.ca/assets/Departments/Parks~Rec~Culture/Parks/Documents/beacon-hill-park-map.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, someone else from Victoria here,

I just thought I would augment ell52's great map of the park with the walking guide from the cruise port to the park. http://victoriacruise.ca/page/cruise-walking-routes

I do hope you go for your walk, If you do, be sure to have a soft icecream at Beacom Hill Drive in, best ever! It is on the corner of Beacon and Douglas st opposite the parks soccer pitch and toddlers watering can water park. I used to live opposite in a lovely old building which has now been replaced with condos.

Hope I have helped.

Cheers, h.

• 3 weeks later...

They do wander all over the park, the peacocks that is, but if you follow signs to the petting zoo that is where they congregate most.

Your quickest route to the park is to turn right once out of the port and walk along the ocean front, sea on your right, until you get to Mile O (if you can have your picture taken there as it is the start of the trans-Canada Highway).

This is the start of Douglas St, The main street through Victoria.

Walk on the left hand side of Douglas St and stop at the Beacon Drive in for a soft ice cream. They are always voted the best soft ice cream in Victoria. (there was an old apartment building just opposite where I used to live, modern condos now.

From this point if you look accross Douglas St you will see the small road going into the park. There is a childs water playground with a large watering can nearby (just so you know you are in the right place).

Follow it bearing right and you will get to the petting zoo area.

Once you have examined the peacocks to your hearts content you can wander the park.

If you walk with the mountains and sea behind you, and within the sight or sound of cars (on Douglas st), you will pass ponds and gardens, but will always be heading towards town.

To get to Government St, exit the park further down Douglas st and carry on to the large intersection where the totem poles are outside the grassy area by the museum, cross the road here and walk past the museum to arrive at the Inner Harbour, Parlement Buildings, Empress Hotel, and the start of Government st.

You have given yourself a good long walk but I think you will really enjoy it. You may want to take a taxi back to the cruise port, there are always plenty around the Inner Harbour area. If you walk just remember that the mountains should be in front of you.

The walk back is simple just follow the road past the Parliment Buildings, it wiggles and curves a bit but just keep the sea on your right and the mountains in front and you will get there.

Do have a great cruise,

Cheers, h.