Post Cruise Ideas to kill a few hours

Sand_Sun_Sea73

First cruise out of Cape Liberty coming up and we are arriving back in Bayonne on Saturday 3/29 and our flight doesn't depart until 3:30 out of EWR. Rather than sit around airport for 5 hours, I'm looking for any ideas of things to do (with luggage in tow of course). Royal Caribbean has a post cruise excursion called "Manhattan Highlights & Transfer to Airport" for $79 each, so $158 for the 2 of us. As of right now, that's my plan. Any other ideas in that price range or less?

Edited by Sand_Sun_Sea73

The biggest advantage to booking something with the cruise line is dealing with your luggage. Generally they put you on a bus, and your luggage underneath and you are able to tour in comfort while not having to schlepp luggage around. Confirm that this is true, and not that your luggage is going separately since this could result in your luggage arriving before you and being unsecured.

You could rent a car and go to the Liberty Science museum in Jersey City or Ellis Island from NJ. That might be less than the ship excursion, but you wouldn't be seeing Manhattan. The only concern I would have is getting a car with trunk space for all your luggage. If you are a light traveler, this might not be a problem. Either museum would be a fun visit. Ellis Island you would want to book ahead to make sure you got in.

Geez, if we were home I'd do it for $158 :D but we will be away.

It is a good idea to find something to do - waiting around Newark Airport isn't my idea of a fun day.

Our similar but other places experiences:

Rental car: In Ft. Lauderdale - we booked Hertz supposedly Port Everglades with a cruiseport shuttle. Hertz picked us up and we dropped the car at the airport. We had a 7:00 pm flight so it totally made sense. We drove around and enjoyed the sights, then had a really nice early dinner/late lunch before going to the airport. You should be able to do this at Newark.

Ship transfer: We took a Celebrity transfer from Southampton to Heathrow with a visit to Windsor Castle and it was great. The next time, we hired a driver to do something similar with a stop in Winchester. It was good but he didn't stay with the car (like we'd expected) so our luggage was not so secure. Nothing happened, and I'm guessing he knew the area and that it would be safe. They have CCTV everywhere in England it seems.

The biggest advantage to booking something with the cruise line is dealing with your luggage. Generally they put you on a bus, and your luggage underneath and you are able to tour in comfort while not having to schlepp luggage around. Confirm that this is true, and not that your luggage is going separately since this could result in your luggage arriving before you and being unsecured.

You could rent a car and go to the Liberty Science museum in Jersey City or Ellis Island from NJ. That might be less than the ship excursion, but you wouldn't be seeing Manhattan. The only concern I would have is getting a car with trunk space for all your luggage. If you are a light traveler, this might not be a problem. Either museum would be a fun visit. Ellis Island you would want to book ahead to make sure you got in.

Geez, if we were home I'd do it for $158 :D but we will be away.

It is a good idea to find something to do - waiting around Newark Airport isn't my idea of a fun day.

Our similar but other places experiences:

Rental car: In Ft. Lauderdale - we booked Hertz supposedly Port Everglades with a cruiseport shuttle. Hertz picked us up and we dropped the car at the airport. We had a 7:00 pm flight so it totally made sense. We drove around and enjoyed the sights, then had a really nice early dinner/late lunch before going to the airport. You should be able to do this at Newark.

Ship transfer: We took a Celebrity transfer from Southampton to Heathrow with a visit to Windsor Castle and it was great. The next time, we hired a driver to do something similar with a stop in Winchester. It was good but he didn't stay with the car (like we'd expected) so our luggage was not so secure. Nothing happened, and I'm guessing he knew the area and that it would be safe. They have CCTV everywhere in England it seems.

:p I appreciate the offer of taking us on a tour lol, that's too funny....I might take you up on it too if you were available! That's my issue is it will be our first time in the area so I wont know my way around. I'm from Chicago so I am used to crazy traffic & drivers, but I will probably just stick with the cruise excursion for a stress free morning. Taking my 15 year old son, so I think he'll enjoy seeing the sights in Manhattan. Hopefully I wont hear the words "I'm bored" after sitting on a bus for a few hours.