Do I take a sport jacket on Caribbean cruise?

edgee

Agree with JimandStan - you certainly can wear jeans or shorts during the day but why wear denim on a tropical cruise? We will do our first Caribbean cruise on Oceania later this year and plan on packing the same things we pack for our Regent tropical cruises........ cotton shorts, pants, shirts, blouses....... just about everything in light, airy fabrics. When we were on the Riviera in the Mediterranean, we saw lots of cotton and linen but very little denim.

If nothing else, think about packing. I would guess that one pair of denim shorts weighs about the same as 3 pair of cotton shorts. With the cost of extra luggage, this is one way to save (plus packing shoes with changeable "tops").

Anyway, just think about it...... if you still want to pack denim, go for it:)

I no longer pack jeans except for chilly weather like our North Atlantic cruise at the end of September. I love the nylon zip-on, zip-off trousers/shorts for daytime wear -- they are lightweight and easy to pack, cut your wardrobe in half in mixed climates (trousers one day, shorts the next), look OK (better than denim, and are almost undetectable except for the seam around the zippers on the legs. They're too casual for evening wear. They're part of the reason we can travel with just carry-ons.

31YlfFEb6wL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

I am about to take my second Caribbean cruise on Oceania (Riviera). I forget whether or not I took a sport jacket and/or needed one on the last one. Less concerned about formality; I know there is not a written dress code where sport coats are needed on Oceania, but wondered whether the dining rooms are cold enough to merit a sport coat or whether a sizable number of passengers wear them as part of a "smart casual" atmosphere. Thanks for any advice on this!

If you have room in your suitcase and you anticipate that you might want it I suggest you do take one. You don't have to wear it but if you want to then it is with you. I have worn one a couple of times on the R ships in the GDR due to cool air conditioning or draft. That said I have also had to take it off a couple of times when it has been too warm in the somewhat crowded centre raised area. Bottom line is having it with me gave me the choice.