security when getting on the ship

rileylewis

We are going on our first cruise in March. DH has a pacemaker, I have a left knee replacement. We have our cards & someone suggested I print a TSA "blue card" out. I will carry those and the cards doctors gave us. Am I correct in thinking DH should be hand searched rather than wanded? Should we be prepared to show scars to prove our metal? I am asking this because 2 years ago I flew to Vegas with family & my SIL had to show her scar for a hip replacement. I have read that ports are not as strict as airports but I just want to be prepared.

I have never been asked to show my scar for the ankle that was shattered and rebuilt. I do tell them I have medical hardware and where it is so they know. As for the dr.'s letter, only time I was ever told to carry it was when I was flying day after having a nuclear stress test and only reason I needed it was because it identified the name of the nuclear agent they used. As for DH's pacemaker, I would tell DSA and ask if he could be wanded but first, I would ask the DR. what HE recommends. It's possible that ports are not as strict as airports, but I wouldn't count on it.

We are going on our first cruise in March. DH has a pacemaker, I have a left knee replacement. We have our cards & someone suggested I print a TSA "blue card" out. I will carry those and the cards doctors gave us. Am I correct in thinking DH should be hand searched rather than wanded? Should we be prepared to show scars to prove our metal? I am asking this because 2 years ago I flew to Vegas with family & my SIL had to show her scar for a hip replacement. I have read that ports are not as strict as airports but I just want to be prepared.

You may get different answers from cardiologist who specialize in EP. However, when my Medtronics ICD/Pacemaker was put in the Medtronics technician that programed it and tested it the next day gave me an ABSOLUTE DO NOT DO list...DO NOT take a tour of the Hoover Dam (electromagnetic motors), DO NOT go through the typical security scanners (the machines where you stand in them while they turn are ok) and DO NOT let security wand you for any reason. He said there is a chance that the wand will alter the programming and they will not function properly when needed.

Some will tell you the chances of that happening are small. But when that small chance happens to you...well, the result may be really, really bad.

Same here for me - no problems. Question was asked after my titanium plate for broken leg this summer and Doc plus another traveler said it won't show up or affect the alarms.....will see later this year. :-)

I have a plate and 10 screws in my leg and so far it has never set off a TSA or cruise medal detector. You should be fine

I have a plate and 10 screws in my leg and so far it has never set off a TSA or cruise medal detector. You should be fine

Interestingly, I have discovered that it all depends on WHERE you are and WHO the screeners are. In some places my ankle sets it off, some places my eyeglasses do and in some places I don't set it off at all! I guess that's one of the things that makes it random.