Princess Pelicans vs. Disney Oceaneer

stickey_mouse

DS was 4 when we sailed Disney and 6 when we sailed Princess. The 2 clubs are very different. Disney was very unstructured and allowed the kids to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Even though the cruise was a Med cruise in May, the kids club was packed with kids. The Princess cruise was an Alaskan cruise in early August and had very few kids. Princess had different activities scheduled at different times.

Disney does not separate the age groups. DS was in the youngest age group on Princess which was 3-7. Princess closes for lunch and dinner. Disney does not. Disney brings in cartoon characters from time to time. Princess does not. DS got in trouble on Disney for hitting the gorilla character. :roll eyes:

Overall, the Disney ships aim their entertainment, including night time shows, dining experience, and the whole rest of the ship to kids under 10 plus their parents. The Princess experience is aimed at adults.

We went on both Disney and Princess in 2011. Disney was a 7 day Caribbean and Princess was a 7 day Alaskan. Lots of kids on Disney, not very many on Princess. At the time my children were 6 and 3. I was worried they would be disappointed with the clubs on Princess after doing Disney, but they said they were just as fun!

The big difference I noticed was that the Princess clubs close for an hour or so around lunch and dinner. The Disney clubs stayed open all day. What I thought was neat on Princess was they had certain programs that were brought in from other companies. My kids did a science/animal program about Alaskan animals that was provided by a science center in Seattle. They also had a music program where they received some music and got to play instruments.

My kids have had a great time in the Princess kids clubs, though we haven't sailed Disney to compare. The hours are better on Disney, from what I've seen, but for us the hour Princess closes for lunch and dinner is actually a good excuse to get our kids out of there or else we might never see them. :) One thing they have loved doing on Princess is the Jr. Chef at Sea program. You have to ask about it at the club when you sign them up the first day. It may not be available on all voyages. It is additional money ($20? I'm drawing a blank) but for that they get high quality embroidered chefs hats and an apron, and they take them into the galley to decorate cupcakes or cakes. They get their picture taken with the Executive Chef and get to keep what they decorate. My boys were 8 and 10 when they did this and had a great time.

My daughter was 7 on our Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess. I don't know how many kids were on board, but I think there were plenty. It was mid-August back in 2004, but I would guess that with many school districts starting school in late August (the Los Angeles Unified school district -- the second largest in the country -- switched a few years ago from starting the school year just after Labor Day to starting in mid-August) or earlier, that would affect the number of kids on any cruise at that time, no matter the line.

But I wouldn't worry if going in June or July on Princess as there will be many kids on board most of the ships.

We have sailed Disney twice in the Caribbean and Princess three times (Alaska, Baltics and Caribbean) and my kids prefer the Princess kids club. The primary reason being that they were able to make good friends on Princess because of the smaller number of kids using the facility whereas Disney has so many kids aboard that it was rare to see the same kids again.

Lisa

We have cruised both lines and DD liked Princess more than Disney. I agree that Disney has a lot more bells and whistles for families but DD wanted nothing to do with the kids club. IMO there were too many kids unstructured running around. DD is usually wiped out after a long day so nightly entertainment was not as important to us. The pools on Disney were over crowded and the pool deck was so hot. The pools on Princess were less crowded. The one great thing we did like on Disney was the pirate party and fireworks.

You have to go with the line that is right for you.

If you have a few children that can go to the kids club together, don't mind crowds and long wait times go with Disney.

If you prefer more of a relaxed cruise, less crowds, no lines, go with Princess.

I would cruise both lines again! Service was amazing on both! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app