Perfect choice for a first cruise

kimlovesfl

DH and I just took our first cruise on the Constellation, Jan 25-30, and we could not have been happier, and we are already discussing Mediterranean fall 2015, which I will probably book the first day I can book.

Embarkation- could not have been easier, faster, or more smooth. We arrived at port shortly before 1, had no lines waiting for anything, and were on board the ship by 1:15, to be greeted with glasses of champagne and mimosas. About 15 minutes after we boarded, rooms were ready, so we headed to our room.

Rooms-well, this being our first cruise, I didn't know what to expect, except that I expected a room about the size of a broom closet. We were on deck 2, starboard side, oceanview. Room was larger than I expected, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom, while small, had a great shower, and there were crazy amounts of storage. Our room steward was wonderful, and how he knew our names by day 2 is beyond me. The room was very clean and comfortable. I wish there were more choices of TV channels, but it is what it is.

Food-with few exceptions, wonderful. We only ate in the Oceanview Cafe and the MDR, as my husband was never thrilled with the menu items in the Tuscan Grill or Oceanliners. The service in MDR was excellent, but in the buffet, it took a while to get a soda (my husband booked the soda package, I had no drink package, which worked for me). The choice of wines by the glass was decent, and that was the only alcohol I had, other than a couple of free mimosas. Sitting on the aft patio of the Oceanview Cafe for lunch was wonderful and relaxing.

Service- outstanding. The officers were very visible, often seen dining in the buffet, very friendly, and willing to stop to chat and ask how your day was going.

Entertainment- well, I think it could have been better. I thought the production shows were lame, I did enjoy the comedian and the contortionist, but the illusionist was just OK. However, the show not to miss is The Liar's Club. All the lounges had decent entertainment-a string trio, a Latin band, DJs, and there was always a party atmosphere around the pool, and in the "atrium" section of the ship. You could party hard if you wanted, or sit quietly in one of the many lounge areas on board.

Activities- I am used to being super active, always on the move, so I kind of wish there were more activities on sea days. We did enjoy the tour of the galley, and Captain Tasos's talk on building the Solstice. We enjoyed a couple of the trivia contests (I won luggage tags, YAY!) and I went to Zumba class. It seems that far too many activities are based on buying stuff- art auctions, jewelry unveilings, etc. We aren't gamblers, so that didn't appeal either. Still, we were never bored.

Ports- we were the only ship in port in Key West, so that was great. We have been there before, had no activities planned, and enjoyed strolling the island, sitting by the water, and having a nice pizza lunch in a place just off Duval St. We met up with a friend briefly, and were back on ship an hour or so before sailing. In Cozumel, we took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. I can't swim, the DH doesn't drink, so this was just right for our first visit there. We had a wonderful lunch at a Mayan restaurant. Just a warning, the ferries only take cash, and they do NOT run every hour in the afternoon as I had read. Please check the schedules. We had plenty of time, but it made me a little nervous.

Disembarkation- again, easier, faster, and smoother than expected. We got to our location by 8, our group was ready to disembark, we disembarked, our luggage was waiting, and our longest line, about 15 minutes, was to go through customs.

Some other thoughts- I wish the ship had a movie theater on board. If you did not reserve a chair by the pool by 9 AM, you were SOL, so, we never spent any time by the pool. I wish there was more variety of activities on ship days, and I wish the shopping was a little better. Not everyone wants to buy fine jewelry.

I was also absolutely unprepared for how quiet the ship was, and how you could barely feel the ship moving. True, we had spectacular, perfect weather, and I don't expect the same on every cruise I take, but I didn't think that I would barely be able to tell we were moving if I didn't look down at the water rushing by. I also expected the ship to feel very crowded, and have long lines for everything, and that was never the case, except by the pool. We had select dining, never made a reservation, and never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a table for 2.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, were very happy with Celebrity, and can't wait to cruise again.

Edited by kimlovesfl

The other thing I didn't note, and it was a biggie for me-almost no kids. I think we saw maybe 2 dozen kids at the most, the only place I saw them was in the buffet, and at the show our last night on board. Maybe it was the time of year I cruised, or the cruise line, or both, but I really enjoyed not having loud, annoying children around me.

DH and I just took our first cruise on the Constellation, Jan 25-30, and we could not have been happier, and we are already discussing Mediterranean fall 2015, which I will probably book the first day I can book.

Embarkation- could not have been easier, faster, or more smooth. We arrived at port shortly before 1, had no lines waiting for anything, and were on board the ship by 1:15, to be greeted with glasses of champagne and mimosas. About 15 minutes after we boarded, rooms were ready, so we headed to our room.

Rooms-well, this being our first cruise, I didn't know what to expect, except that I expected a room about the size of a broom closet. We were on deck 2, starboard side, oceanview. Room was larger than I expected, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom, while small, had a great shower, and there were crazy amounts of storage. Our room steward was wonderful, and how he knew our names by day 2 is beyond me. The room was very clean and comfortable. I wish there were more choices of TV channels, but it is what it is.

Food-with few exceptions, wonderful. We only ate in the Oceanview Cafe and the MDR, as my husband was never thrilled with the menu items in the Tuscan Grill or Oceanliners. The service in MDR was excellent, but in the buffet, it took a while to get a soda (my husband booked the soda package, I had no drink package, which worked for me). The choice of wines by the glass was decent, and that was the only alcohol I had, other than a couple of free mimosas. Sitting on the aft patio of the Oceanview Cafe for lunch was wonderful and relaxing.

Service- outstanding. The officers were very visible, often seen dining in the buffet, very friendly, and willing to stop to chat and ask how your day was going.

Entertainment- well, I think it could have been better. I thought the production shows were lame, I did enjoy the comedian and the contortionist, but the illusionist was just OK. However, the show not to miss is The Liar's Club. All the lounges had decent entertainment-a string trio, a Latin band, DJs, and there was always a party atmosphere around the pool, and in the "atrium" section of the ship. You could party hard if you wanted, or sit quietly in one of the many lounge areas on board.

Activities- I am used to being super active, always on the move, so I kind of wish there were more activities on sea days. We did enjoy the tour of the galley, and Captain Tasos's talk on building the Solstice. We enjoyed a couple of the trivia contests (I won luggage tags, YAY!) and I went to Zumba class. It seems that far too many activities are based on buying stuff- art auctions, jewelry unveilings, etc. We aren't gamblers, so that didn't appeal either. Still, we were never bored.

Ports- we were the only ship in port in Key West, so that was great. We have been there before, had no activities planned, and enjoyed strolling the island, sitting by the water, and having a nice pizza lunch in a place just off Duval St. We met up with a friend briefly, and were back on ship an hour or so before sailing. In Cozumel, we took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. I can't swim, the DH doesn't drink, so this was just right for our first visit there. We had a wonderful lunch at a Mayan restaurant. Just a warning, the ferries only take cash, and they do NOT run every hour in the afternoon as I had read. Please check the schedules. We had plenty of time, but it made me a little nervous.

Disembarkation- again, easier, faster, and smoother than expected. We got to our location by 8, our group was ready to disembark, we disembarked, our luggage was waiting, and our longest line, about 15 minutes, was to go through customs.

Some other thoughts- I wish the ship had a movie theater on board. If you did not reserve a chair by the pool by 9 AM, you were SOL, so, we never spent any time by the pool. I wish there was more variety of activities on ship days, and I wish the shopping was a little better. Not everyone wants to buy fine jewelry.

I was also absolutely unprepared for how quiet the ship was, and how you could barely feel the ship moving. True, we had spectacular, perfect weather, and I don't expect the same on every cruise I take, but I didn't think that I would barely be able to tell we were moving if I didn't look down at the water rushing by. I also expected the ship to feel very crowded, and have long lines for everything, and that was never the case, except by the pool. We had select dining, never made a reservation, and never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a table for 2.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, were very happy with Celebrity, and can't wait to cruise again.

Welcome to the world of Cruising and your hooked.

I know it's been 2 1/2 years since I was on the Connie to Scand/Russia (June '11) but I don't know why anyone would not be happy with her. I've also sailed 5 times on Summit, and once on Millie with great experiences.

I love the M-class ships and may be doing S. America next winter on Infinity, the only one I haven't sailed yet. Last week I sailed Silhouette and it was also great, but I had a hard time disregarding my mind's tendency to picture the M-Class layout while I was trying to learn the new one.

Nice to know these cruise newbies are also hooked like the rest of us. :) I just did my 16th cruise--8 with DH and 8 since he passed away in Aug. '08. Life's too short to stop cruising. :D

1/02 Explorer OS E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Partial PC+4 other W. ports

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords 1/07 Mercury Mex Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib.

6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia 2/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour

2/13 Summit S. Carib. 1/14 Silhouette W. Carib.