I'm overwhelmed and need help - shore excursions

Priest

My lovely fiance and I are both taking our first cruise for our Honeymoon this coming Sept. We are going on the NCL star and head out on 9/11. She is busily planning the wedding while I have put on honeymoon duty. I have read countless posts about the shore excursions in Alaska which apprears to be one of the hotest topics on here.

Our ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. As I said, neither of us has every cruised before nor have we been to Alaska. There really only two things that we want to be sure to do and that is 1) set foot on a glacier 2) see some whales.

Being as I am overwhelmed I'm looking for suggestions on ports and services. It seems like Juneau is the spot for whale watching but aside from that I'm at a loss... I have information overload and analysis paralisys (too much info).

Budget isn't a huge concern but of course we want to be sure to get our moneys worth. I'm looking to the experts for advice. Aside from adivce on what to do where... am I better off booking the excursions on my own or through the cruise lines?

Thanks a bunch for all your help... this is a great place with great people and great advice.

Rich

Rich:

Congrats on your first cruise and your honeymoon! How exciting!

Anyhow, Juneau is certainly the place to go whale watching!

As far as setting foot on a glacier, that would also either be in Juneau or Skagway.

You're much better off booking the excursions on your own rather than the cruise line, for most excursions.

In Juneau, with whale watching, contact Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises.

If you want to do helicopter flightseeing in Juneau, you can either contact ERA Aviation, TEMSCO, Coastal Helicopters or Northstar Trekking. ERA sometimes doesn't take private bookings as most cruise lines contract through ERA.

However, depending on how long you are in Juneau, you might have a tough time doing both whale watching and helicopter flightseeing with a landing on a glacier in Juneau.

In Skagway, you can do helicopter flightseeing through TEMSCO. All cruiselines contract through TEMSCO in Skagway. Although if you contact them early enough they will take private bookings.

With a private booking you'll be able to get a better rate than what is offered by the ship if they are a ship contractor, and most times private tour operators have better more friendly service in smaller groups than through the ship.

Good luck in your planning and congrats again!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I too did my honeymoon cruise to Alaska this past May, it was our first cruise, but was with Princess. I am no expert but let me tell you it will be an unbelievable experience. I have heard Captain Larry is good for the whale watching in Juneau. I booked all my excursions through Princess... I was nervous about something going wrong and missing the ship. But next time we will definately go independent. We did the glacier/dogsled in Skagway. Loved it!! I recommend if you go on a glacier and have any slight interest in Doggsledding... Do it! That was the BEST excursion. We played with the dogs and everything. You'll find alot of info about Captain Larry on CC. Good Luck... you'll love Alaska!!!

If you want to do some exploring on your own, in Skagway you can rent a car and drive the Klondike Highway to Carcross. Absolutely beautiful drive. If you want to leave the driving to someone else, the White Pass railway tour has fantastic scenery and somewhat parallels the Klondike Highway for awhile.

We went with Captain Larry in Juneau last year and loved it. This year we're taking a boat trip to Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier.

There are very few excursions you would want to book through the ship. Most companies are well aware of when they need to return you to the dock. If you're unsure of a specific company you're interested in, just post their name on this board. You will get many responses.

Good luck and congratulations.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I too did my honeymoon cruise to Alaska this past May, it was our first cruise, but was with Princess. I am no expert but let me tell you it will be an unbelievable experience. I have heard Captain Larry is good for the whale watching in Juneau. I booked all my excursions through Princess... I was nervous about something going wrong and missing the ship. But next time we will definately go independent. We did the glacier/dogsled in Skagway. Loved it!! I recommend if you go on a glacier and have any slight interest in Doggsledding... Do it! That was the BEST excursion. We played with the dogs and everything. You'll find alot of info about Captain Larry on CC. Good Luck... you'll love Alaska!!!

Which company did you use for your glacier/dogsled tour?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone!

Sorry but this will not be running when you are going. They usually close down by end of August with last season, mid Aug and definately by mid Sept. (unless big new changes this season?) So I suggest, a combo booking with Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters. Or consider Northstar trekking for an extended glacier experience, which sound like is a priority??

In Ketchikan, consider a float plane trip if you haven't been on one, Southeast Aviation, Island Wings are top venders.

I too highly recommend a rental car in Skagway with Avis, be certain to print out Murray's WONDERFUL South Klondike Highway log. Stop at the Park Service visitor center http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm

Thanks everyone!

We went through the cruise ship. They used Temsco. We had only 5 people in our group which was great ... very personal. I would check with the companies or even the ship. I looked on Princess site and they said they offer it through sept 30. I would just check. It doesn't hurt to check, maybe you'll be in luck. Take care

Break it down and just work on one port at a time. It is my preference to try to book one excursion for each port. Do not wait too long, as the best excursions will book up. I like to book excursions first thing in the AM, and then have the rest of the time at port to do something more spontaneous. I get mad if I see something at port and don't have time to do it.

Some less expensive options we have found: Renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Emerald Lake. It is very scenic. In Juneau, we took Mt. Roberts tram, and hiked the trails on top. Great trails that go for miles. We hiked up to the snow fields. Lots and lots of bald eagles in Juneau. Whale watching...right from the ship. We saw lots of whales right from the balcony (be sure to bring binoculars). Saw most of the whales between Juneau and Ketchikan....6:00-8:00 PM. Even saw a couple orcas jump completely out of the water...it was awesome! We really wanted to rent poles and fish off the bridge in Ketchikan, but ran out of time. We saw a young boy catch a good size salmon....looked like fun! You can rent poles and get fishing licenses at some of the local shops. They have signs in the windows.

Good luck with the planning, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Sorry but this will not be running when you are going. They usually close down by end of August with last season, mid Aug and definately by mid Sept. (unless big new changes this season?) So I suggest, a combo booking with Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters. Or consider Northstar trekking for an extended glacier experience, which sound like is a priority??

In Ketchikan, consider a float plane trip if you haven't been on one, Southeast Aviation, Island Wings are top venders.

I too highly recommend a rental car in Skagway with Avis, be certain to print out Murray's WONDERFUL South Klondike Highway log. Stop at the Park Service visitor center http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm

I see the reason that your name comes up a lot ... :)

I think your excursion list sounds like the perfect plan. I guess I have some phone calls to make.

I'm going to be on the same cruise so I'm going through exactly what you are. So many choices and so many messages on these message boards. I'm taking it city by city. I haven't moved past Juneau but that's because I can't stop reading everyone's comments! It's tough to decide but you'll do great. I'd take your job over planning a wedding any day!

I'm going to be on the same cruise so I'm going through exactly what you are. So many choices and so many messages on these message boards. I'm taking it city by city. I haven't moved past Juneau but that's because I can't stop reading everyone's comments! It's tough to decide but you'll do great. I'd take your job over planning a wedding any day!

Yeah, she absolutly has the tough job but I'm doing my best to help... being the guy of course there are some decisions that I have idea on..:confused:

What we ended up with is...

Juneau - Orca Enterprises Whale watching

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords flight seeing - Island Wings

Skagway - Helicopter out to the glacier - Tsemco - Avis car rental and drive to Emerald lake

Victoria - Historic Graveyards and Ghosts tour

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. And you've definitely picked an exciting destination for your honeymoon. I still get goosebumps when I think about our trip there last year. And my heart sinks a bit when I realize that it may be a while before we end up going back. Not because we can't. We've already been on another cruise since then and have another one coming up that's just over 4 months away. But there are so many things we want to see and do, we'll never see them all if we go to the same place every year.

We booked a combo tour through Orca Enterprises last summer. They made all the arrangements for both of our tours that day. We went whale watching with Captain Larry in the morning. Then they immediately dropped us off at Coastal Helicoptors before they dropped the people from the whale watching tour off at the pier and we went dogsledding on the glacier after that. If you want to do them both in one day, this is a good port to do it. Sounds like the doglsedding might not be an option for you in Juneau. But maybe they still have glacier landings at that time and you can still book the combo through Captain Larry's. That way, you don't have to worry about getting transported all the way back to the pier after one tour and then finding the other vendor you chose to take you back to their facility to do the other tour. This way, you could get the glacier landing and whale watching out of the way in one day. Then have the other days for other exciting things.

If the dogsledding in Skagway isn't what you choose, isn't available or you don't want to pay the $400+ pp it will cost to do it, I highly recommend the White Pass & Yukon Railway train up the mountain. We stood outside in between two railcars the entire way up the mountain (about 90 min.). I saw scenery, including many waterfalls, ice, snowflakes, clearwater pools, lakes, streams, flowers and overlooks unlike anything I'd ever seen before in my life. I was in awe. And my first thought was the train ride might be boring. Not for a minute. I don't know what NCL offers in the way of excursions. But with RCI, ours was a combo where we took the bus back down the mountain and stopped off at a trail camp for a salmon bake, story telling, gold panning and touring a gold rush camp. We then ended the tour at the Red Onion Saloon where we were given a tour of the brothel and served either a beer, a glass of wine or a soda. It was a great day and we even had time to spend at the end of it to do some shopping in town. As a matter of fact, before the tour, we took a horse and buggy ride through town for about $20pp and went in to the residential areas with narration. And after the tour, we went to restuarant that I believe was called The Skagway Fish Company and had a fried halibut appetizer and several beers before going back to the ship. It was a fun place.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. And you've definitely picked an exciting destination for your honeymoon. I still get goosebumps when I think about our trip there last year. And my heart sinks a bit when I realize that it may be a while before we end up going back. Not because we can't. We've already been on another cruise since then and have another one coming up that's just over 4 months away. But there are so many things we want to see and do, we'll never see them all if we go to the same place every year.

We booked a combo tour through Orca Enterprises last summer. They made all the arrangements for both of our tours that day. We went whale watching with Captain Larry in the morning. Then they immediately dropped us off at Coastal Helicoptors before they dropped the people from the whale watching tour off at the pier and we went dogsledding on the glacier after that. If you want to do them both in one day, this is a good port to do it. Sounds like the doglsedding might not be an option for you in Juneau. But maybe they still have glacier landings at that time and you can still book the combo through Captain Larry's. That way, you don't have to worry about getting transported all the way back to the pier after one tour and then finding the other vendor you chose to take you back to their facility to do the other tour. This way, you could get the glacier landing and whale watching out of the way in one day. Then have the other days for other exciting things.

If the dogsledding in Skagway isn't what you choose, isn't available or you don't want to pay the $400+ pp it will cost to do it, I highly recommend the White Pass & Yukon Railway train up the mountain. We stood outside in between two railcars the entire way up the mountain (about 90 min.). I saw scenery, including many waterfalls, ice, snowflakes, clearwater pools, lakes, streams, flowers and overlooks unlike anything I'd ever seen before in my life. I was in awe. And my first thought was the train ride might be boring. Not for a minute. I don't know what NCL offers in the way of excursions. But with RCI, ours was a combo where we took the bus back down the mountain and stopped off at a trail camp for a salmon bake, story telling, gold panning and touring a gold rush camp. We then ended the tour at the Red Onion Saloon where we were given a tour of the brothel and served either a beer, a glass of wine or a soda. It was a great day and we even had time to spend at the end of it to do some shopping in town. As a matter of fact, before the tour, we took a horse and buggy ride through town for about $20pp and went in to the residential areas with narration. And after the tour, we went to restuarant that I believe was called The Skagway Fish Company and had a fried halibut appetizer and several beers before going back to the ship. It was a fun place.

Archived