Gluten Free (Celiac) question about Carnival

kajasmin

Hi! I went on the Carnival Breeze last year and was gluten free, but at that time just thought it was an allergy. I have finally been properly diagnosised with Celiac and now its really important I don't eat any gluten. It was very hard to find lunch that was Gluten Free but I loved the Mongolian Wok. At that time, it didnt seem to make me sick, but like I said- I didn't know how strict I needed to be. Now I get sick very easily from gluten.

Does anyone know if sauce they put in contains wheat? Often times soy sauce does. I think I could probably ask them to use a clean bowl to avoid the contamination ... Ive searched with no success. thanks!

Hi! I went on the Carnival Breeze last year and was gluten free, but at that time just thought it was an allergy. I have finally been properly diagnosised with Celiac and now its really important I don't eat any gluten. It was very hard to find lunch that was Gluten Free but I loved the Mongolian Wok. At that time, it didnt seem to make me sick, but like I said- I didn't know how strict I needed to be. Now I get sick very easily from gluten.

Does anyone know if sauce they put in contains wheat? Often times soy sauce does. I think I could probably ask them to use a clean bowl to avoid the contamination ... Ive searched with no success. thanks!

If you have a food allergy fill out the request when booking and/or send the info to corporate + talk to Maitre'd they will work with you to accommodate food allergies.

Carnival are EXCELLENT working with special dietary needs. The hostess in the Main Dining Room will come to see you (you, of course, need to let the maitre'd know about your gluten issue) and take care of you from there. I have always been blown away with how much help they are when it comes to any questions you have....also, bring your own GF Soy Sauce onboard for use on the Lido !

Be careful with the Mongolian Wok. The pans get a cursory swiping, not a wash. The lids don't get washed between woks.

They are now serving GF bread on the Lido. On the Imagination I found some just past the carving station (apart from the other breads) and at the rotisserie (mom thought it was cornbread). Should be similar on other ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be sailing next month with my 19 yr. old DS who has celiac and loves Chinese food and stir fry. I will post back and let you know about the soy sauce at the Mongolian wok. In my experience most restaurants buy the bulk size soy sauce that is cheaper and made from corn and soy not wheat. If need be I plan on insisting on a clean bowl, pan and lid.

Carnival are EXCELLENT working with special dietary needs. The hostess in the Main Dining Room will come to see you (you, of course, need to let the maitre'd know about your gluten issue) and take care of you from there. I have always been blown away with how much help they are when it comes to any questions you have....also, bring your own GF Soy Sauce onboard for use on the Lido !

I agree. I was very impressed.

At the buffet, stay away from sauces because you don't know what's in them. That's the advice the NCL dietary manager told me. Eat things that are obviously gluten free (eggs, salad, fruit, meats w/o suace, vegetables, etc.).

I was on the Glory in December and am Celiac. If they are really busy I would avoid the Mongolian Wok. Some staff get it but others certainly don't. Bring Soya Sauce. Lunch was not fun. They do have gluten free burgers and buns at Guys, which I took advantage of several times. They will also do frys that are gluten free. No seasoning on them. Had no issues there.

The GF Bread on the Lido was unusual, a herb bread, but the change was nice. If you don't see it ask for it.

The Buffet was difficult, being sure there was no cross contamination was difficult. If you can, eat in the diningroom for breakfast and lunch. They were really good there. They like you to pre-order the night before.

Desserts were non existant except in the main diningroom. I find that difficult. It would be nice to have something available during the day. Princess has a different dessert every day available at several locations. It is usually different than the diningroom dessert. I was told that Carnival is going to work on the desserts, so we will see. :)

Regardless, you will find lots to eat. Been cruising with Celiac for 4 years now and alway gain weight!