voyager - new years eve

Wanting to do a cruise at the end of the year. I am now considering the Voyager for NYE as teens don't want to be at sea for Christmas. Not many ports, lots of sea days. 14 days - ports are Suva, Lautoka (Fiji) and Wellington, Auckland & Tauranga (NZ). Teens are very keen to experience the Voyager and I like the idea of only having to cross the Tasman once. Anyone have any thoughts? Would also be interested to hear from anyone who did the same cruise last year.

We did much the same itinerary in January last year (not New Years), although we did Noumea instead of Suva. Our teenage kids spent a lot of time on the ice rink (a big novelty for kids from the bush!). In Auckland we hired a car and took them up to Snowplanet for the day - they experienced snow for the first time, even if it was man made. At Tauranga we organised a trip to Rotorua, and at Wellington we spent quite a lot of time at the museum. Good shoe shopping for my daughter in Wellington as well!! It was a terrific cruise for them, and us - we hope to do it again next January.

Wanting to do a cruise at the end of the year. I am now considering the Voyager for NYE as teens don't want to be at sea for Christmas. Not many ports, lots of sea days. 14 days - ports are Suva, Lautoka (Fiji) and Wellington, Auckland & Tauranga (NZ). Teens are very keen to experience the Voyager and I like the idea of only having to cross the Tasman once. Anyone have any thoughts? Would also be interested to hear from anyone who did the same cruise last year.

I can definitely help you there! We did this last NYE on Voyager for 14 nights (same itinerary except we stopped at Noumea instead of Suva). I travelled with my hubby & teens (boy 18 and girl 14). We all had THE BEST TIME. If you read the thread by TassieCruiser it will give you an idea of how much fun it was.

NYE was a blast....parties all around the ship...Royal Promenade goes off at midnight...the Pig & Whistle pub is sooo much fun...but beware if your teens are 18 or over the Vault nightclub will be their 2nd home...along with days in bed and waking up in the afternoon to do it all again...thank god I got them an inside cabin! They spent most of their time on deck at night in the pools/spas and met some really nice friends. My daughter said the Teens club was a lot of fun too.

We had lots of different themes...2 parties were up on deck around the pool area...dancing/ cocktail bar flarer/ there was a white party (dress all in white), 70's night in Promenade etc...all ages went to these parties.

In regards to tours, I can highly recommend something we did as a group I think there were about 15 of us...it was called GO Dirt Buggys in Lautoka if you have adventurous teens they will love this...takes you through mud tracks, stop for a swim in lake with locals, our guide Junior even let us experience Kava along the way (not very good parenting but it was an experience we all had together) :D Tauranga was another port we loved..it has a great beach and it's where all the young NZ locals go for their holidays..so the atmosphere was great ...could get hanna tattoos, loud music playing along the beach...teens will love this stop! Suva I can't comment on and Wellington (we did the cable car) and Auckland you can jump off the Sky tower not for the faint hearted.

We have friends we met on Voyager going again this year (I can't because of mums 80th NYE) otherwise we definitely would be doing this one again. Just keep your husband away from them..all the hubby's thought a pub crawl would be a good idea starting at the top and working their way down...think there is about 13 bars all up...well they ended up in the Big Red Car on the Promenade...very funny sight!

Not sure if you know but Voyager is getting refurb this year so when she comes back to Australia will also have the Flowrider and other enhancements made to her. Johnny Rockets is also great (especially for that New Years Day hang over) :D If there is anything in particular you want to know just ask. Donna

We were also on voyager NYE cruise with Donna. I agree with everything she said. The only trouble was we couldn't find Wayne. :D

If you have any questions, fire away. We can help. Fiona

Hi Fiona,

would love to do this all over again with you all ...maybe end of 2015.... this time we've booked Radiance leaves 4th Jan 2015....want to jump ship????

Then you might be able to find Wayne :D

Donna

Edited by simmo67

Omg. You have booked? Best go look at itiniery.

Its' only a short one, 9 nights goes to Noumea, Vila and Lifou...but it's a ship we haven't been on before and a good time of the year for us (xmas & birthdays over and done with by then). Although you can't beat NYE on a ship!!! Donna

We just got off Voyager last week. While the cruise was good, the ship was overrun with norovirus with (apparently) 600-700 people sick - and they were the ones who reported it and had to go into isolation. Some people were offloaded in Hobart and sent to hospital. The ship hospital was full to overflowing. They went into code red sanitation. Free dr consultations were offered as was compensation for people who were put into isolation. I'm sure not in a hurry to get back on board that ship!!

Cruised - Dawn Princess Nov 2008

Cruised - Sun Princess Nov 2009

Cruised - Carnival Spirit Nov 2012

Cruised -Voyager of the Seas Feb 2014

Cruising - Celebrity Solstice Nov 14

Agreed mtn_couple - we are just off Voyager too and will not sail on her again. Strong sewer smell in our hallway (Deck 7 aft) from Day 1 until our return to Sydney - most unpleasant and most unhealthy. Contributing factor towards the norovirus?????

We had a smell too in deck 10 and assumed it would go when they started ripping up the carpet, unfortunately I didn't and was still there when the new carpet went down. We assumed the solution they continuously sloshed on the hallway walks could have contributed causing mould but also could be to mask the smell.

Well, we may have been lucky but our 14 night NYE cruise, there was no problems. No sickness, no smells (as reported by others who have recently cruised) and no problems with drinks, not out of stock etc..... It actually was probably our best cruise to date. Awesome ship, can't wait for the next NYE cruise after the refurb, I thought it was great now so after the refurb it will be even better. Fiona :)

Well, we may have been lucky but our 14 night NYE cruise, there was no problems. No sickness, no smells (as reported by others who have recently cruised) and no problems with drinks, not out of stock etc..... It actually was probably our best cruise to date. Awesome ship, can't wait for the next NYE cruise after the refurb, I thought it was great now so after the refurb it will be even better. Fiona :)

Have to agree with you Fiona...Voyager was our best cruise yet! We must have been so lucky not having any of the problems mentioned above.

Such a shame that the other cruisers had such a bad experience... you look forward all year to it and for something like that to happen is not fair ...hopefully everyone has fully recovered from their sickness.

For those considering Voyager, she really is a beautiful ship and with all her enhancements happening this year, new dining venues, Flowrider, new type of room (virtual balcony) outdoor cinema etc she will be even better! Donna

Edited by simmo67