Driving to Boston Port from Rhode Island

Coastalbreezes

I have only traveled to Boston from Rhode Island via train and am considering a cruise from Boston in the spring.

This may be a silly questions but I am curious what the driving experience is like to the port. Even though I have good directions, I was wondering if it is a stressful, crazy drive or easy? Is the route to the port well marked? I am used to sailing from Manhattan and that is a fairly easy drive but Boston is about one hour closer to me.

Thanks for any feedback,

Tracy

What day of the week would you be doing this?

My experience is not with I95 north to I93 (southeast expressway). I've ridden it on the bus recently, but haven't driven it in a while. My feeling is that if you can deal with driving to NYC, you can do this, particularly if you wait until after 9 am.

Others can give you or details, but I'm sure there is an exit for the Ted Williams tunnel and South Boston from I93 North. Once you are on the streets of South Boston (the Waterfront area) the pier is easy to find and there is parking close by.

We've driven up I-93 coming from Cape Cod a # of times and mid/late morning should be just fine, drivers are much better than our hometown's - BTW, we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Courtyard Boston South next door, behind the Shopping Mall, just off Frontage Road (Exit 18) and both are nice, free shuttle to cruise port & parking is free, unlike most hotels.

Going north on I-93 and taking the exits for that section of South Boston, it looks easy to drive toward the Black Falcon Avenue pier/terminal, including Frontage Road.

We've driven up I-93 coming from Cape Cod a # of times and mid/late morning should be just fine, drivers are much better than our hometown's - BTW, we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Courtyard Boston South next door, behind the Shopping Mall, just off Frontage Road (Exit 18) and both are nice, free shuttle to cruise port & parking is free, unlike most hotels.

Going north on I-93 and taking the exits for that section of South Boston, it looks easy to drive toward the Black Falcon Avenue pier/terminal, including Frontage Road.

Perfect, thanks so much!

Tracy