Using Verizon Cell Phone

lilly_and_hunter

Long time reader... first time poster :)

Leaving for a cruise soon and our children will be staying home with the grandparents. I would like to be able to talk/text with family briefly each day. I added a Global plan to my cell today for only $4.99 for the month. I'll cancel this after our cruise.

We're just taking a quick, 4-night cruise to the Bahamas. I don't want to use my phone's internet... just want to use it like a phone (shocking, I know :) )

I want to make sure I'm not slammed with data charges. How do I keep my phone going to make/receive calls and texts... but, turn off the internet option?

Thanks, guys!

In settings, turn "data" off or turn "data off while roaming". Leave voice on while roaming. While at sea, Text, .05c for each received, and .50c for each sent (SMS only) and works through the voice feature. If you make a call while at sea, cellular at sea rates apply, which are $2.50 per minute. If you answer your phone while at sea or listen to voice mail, the $2.50 will be charged. The ship's cabin phone rates have been dropped to $1.99 a minute recently which makes it cheaper than your cell phone. While in a port, non domestic charges apply, different for each port, which your Global plan might address.

There's a thing on the Verizon wireless website where you can check if your phone works in each country and what the rates are. You can call them before you go and they will walk you through everything you would ever need. They often drop the ship rates. Last year it was $1 a minute while we were on, which was WAY cheaper than the roaming rate, so check the card by your cabin phone.