Bayonne?

WhitePearl

We are staying the night before at the Best Western Plus near the Newark airport on International Way and doing a park / cruise transfers from the hotel. Does anyone know if the parking lot is safe/secure area? Thanks

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not staying or leaving anything at a best western in Newark.

This is where we are staying it doesn't look bad...I just want to ensure its safe to leave my car.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/NJ/Newark-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Newark-Airport-West/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=31049

Look at it on google maps.... Looks fine... Plus, Newark hasn't been the car theft capital of the world in at least a year :eek:

Did not look too great to me. On the left is where I could see down the street and across the street. By clicking on the arrow.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=40.705257,-74.187355&cbp=13,253.3,0,0,0&cbll=40.705355,-74.186923&q=101+International+Way+Newark,&ei=NfX6UujzJsTL2QWj4oDQCg&ved=0CCcQxB0wAA

Edited by geocruiser

The building looks fine just not sure about the surroundings. eek My travel agent stayed there and said it was fine nothing fancy.

You may want a new travel agent ;)

All joking aside, I am not sure I would stay there. Doesn't look like a great area. It's worth spending a few extra bucks to be safe and stay somewhere else. If I did stay, I certainly wouldn't leave my car sitting there for a week.. I would pay for port parking or find a deal at one of the airport parking places with security...

You may want a new travel agent ;)

All joking aside, I am not sure I would stay there. Doesn't look like a great area. It's worth spending a few extra bucks to be safe and stay somewhere else. If I did stay, I certainly wouldn't leave my car sitting there for a week.. I would pay for port parking or find a deal at one of the airport parking places with security...

You're making an assumption based on reputation of the city....Newark has good parts and bad parts, just like other cities do....you can't look at google maps and make a determination as to whether a neighborhood is safe.......

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but CC seems to have lost some recent posts.

Best Western is the only hotel at Newark airport where cruisers have reported car vandalism in the past.

Best western

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35582273&highlight=western#post35582273

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33266528&highlight=western#post33266528

Tell us what you are looking for and when and we will make suggestions. Newark is really best when you do everything yourself. Except for Country Inns, only the "fringe" airport hotels offer a Cruiseport shuttle.

WhitePearl - what is your cruise date? Did you look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island which offers a free cruise shuttle and parking? It looks like you are coming from MD, so it would be easy to get off the turnpike at exit 10 and take route 440 across Staten Island to the hotel. This might be a much better choice than any park/sleep at Newark Airport since you a coming from the south.

You're making an assumption based on reputation of the city....Newark has good parts and bad parts, just like other cities do....you can't look at google maps and make a determination as to whether a neighborhood is safe.......

Not an assumption. Live in Texas now, but grew up and lived most of my life in the northeast...including millburn, nj... Right down the street... And I honestly wouldn't feel safe there.... Not at all.

We are cruising in March. After the Grandeur caught on fire this is our replacement since my niece didn't want to leave from Baltimore again. Typically book online but due to the certificates I went through AAA. I wanted to stay at the CountryInn the agent said she said at the BW plus and it was fine ugh!!! Now I'm pissed and dint know what to do

I know you said the lot is fenced. It just looks like a creepy industrial area which there is several in Baltimore. We don't require much really just a place to sleep and park. I just don't want to have my car stolen or get robbed. How bad is it?

Tell the agent that you want another location ... They should be able to change without a problem.

I'm seeing a fantastic new park/sleep out there on Trinityreservations. $185 or $197 tax included for the Ramada Plaza INCLUDING round trip port transportation for up to four people. This is the quote from the Trinity website.

"Fabulous News! We just added the Newark Ramada Plaza Hotel to our site for the Port Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne NJ. Our package includes free roundtrip shuttle to and from the port with up to 21 days of free parking! Remember our rates are good for up to 4 people per room and are all inclusive!!!"

Unfortunately, your travel agent probably doesn't want to book this because there would be no commission.

I have stayed at this property when it was a Holiday Inn. It is on the north side of the airport next to the Doubletree and has gated parking with security. It is also next to a prison, so the area has an overall higher level of security.

I have booked through Trinity before and I really liked them. I know they answered emails and I think I even spoke to them. They quote all prices tax included which is very nice since the local room taxes are at least 14%.

Another possibility to check out are the Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island since you are driving up from MD. These hotels offer a free shuttle to the port and parking. Hampton Inn offers free parking and Hilton Gardens offers a cruise package. These hotels are in a nice wooded corporate park that will give you a more suburban experience than Newark even though it is within NYC. You can get off the turnpike at exit 10 and go across route 440 to the hotel. There is a bridge toll to Staten Island, but you will save some money on turnpike tolls.

Edited by 138east

NO BEST WESTERN!!!! Ever. In Newark. By the airport.

And preferably, NEVER the one in Baltimore with the park & cruise..

and if a TA stayed at the BW in Newark and said it's ok, he or she needs a new line of work...... UGH...it's a dump and they photoshopped the heck out of the pix on line.....of that, AND the Wyndham Garden....

sorry. need more coffee

Take a serious look at the Staten Island hotels. Folks have been very happy with them and they are easy to access coming from the south. I'm sure there will be lots of cruisers staying there. You didn't provide a date as asked, so I couldn't check availability for you.