Venice Cancellations?

Posted this on my blog yesterday:

http://sailawaycruiseblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/thomson-cruises-forced-to-cancel-stops-in-venice-this-summer/

Cruise Industry News reported how ships have had to cancel some visits in Venice for this summer with the new legislations, and Thomson was mentioned as having to cancel stops.

Anybody heard anything about this or which cruises might be affected?

Posted this on my blog yesterday:

http://sailawaycruiseblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/thomson-cruises-forced-to-cancel-stops-in-venice-this-summer/

Cruise Industry News reported how ships have had to cancel some visits in Venice for this summer with the new legislations, and Thomson was mentioned as having to cancel stops.

Anybody heard anything about this or which cruises might be affected?

Not heard anything but that would be a disaster since most people book that itinerary wanting to go to Venice I would think. I am surprised though because I thought it was the super large ships which were the ones at threat and subject to being banned from sailing into Venice. Thomson must be one of the smaller ships going there. What a shocker if correct! :mad:

Could they swap the Majesty with Spirit or Celebration which are smaller :confused:

would love to do again if they swap to the spirit, fingers crossed they do for summer 2015

i know most p&o ships can't go into venice after this nov

We went on magesty last year and it was breathtaking sailing out of Venice with two opera singers serenading us with time to say good bye and many more I would not have missed it for the world

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I asked my TA this morning as we are on Majesty 2 May, and she said no information about this yet, and if itinerary was to change, I would be notified. Hoping not, as all the reports say the sail in has to be experienced.

We went on magesty last year and it was breathtaking sailing out of Venice with two opera singers serenading us with time to say good bye and many more I would not have missed it for the world

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So very right Pat something to remember .:)

would love to do again if they swap to the spirit, fingers crossed they do for summer 2015

i know most p&o ships can't go into venice after this nov

Would love to see this also, but it looks like that won't be happening. :(

Majesty has been booked in ready for Rome on its Italian Flavours itinerary for 2015. I suppose, with them already knowing about the regulations for 2015 when booking their ships, they didn't have any issues.

I think thomsons may be missing out here because if they have a ship small enough to sail into Venice I think a lot of people would go on it for this alone. Maybe they think Majesty wouldn't get enough customers if it wasn't doing the most popular itinerary?

Would love to see this also, but it looks like that won't be happening. :(

Majesty has been booked in ready for Rome on its Italian Flavours itinerary for 2015. I suppose, with them already knowing about the regulations for 2015 when booking their ships, they didn't have any issues.

That's interesting Sailaway but Thomson have in the past made changes at short notice... Destiny and Majesty for example so perhaps as long as they have a ship booked in to secure a berth it doesn't matter much which one it is as a swap can be made later.

If it's correct that Majesty can't sail into Venice though Thomson have a couple of problems - this season's response to the bombshell and also next season's itineraries. They won't be able to book her in there with the idea of changing later as presumably the port authority wouldn't accept the booking so do they stick with Majesty in the Adriatic and drop Venice or go to another port 'for Venice'? What would be telling are the 2015 bookings in Venice! Do doubt you will tip us off if you spot anything interesting on that front. :D

Think happy v may have a point too - quite a dilemma for Thomson if they have to take Venice off the schedule in terms of itineraries and ship deployment. It would be a real coup though if they can continue to sail into Venice when the larger ships can't - what a sales pitch! I guess the big ships will need to dock at the nearest large berthing place and tender/coach into Venice but that isn't quite the same or provides the spine tingling moments. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that the new regulations at Venice consist of two aspects: a reduction, and a ban.

The first is a reduction of 20% in the number of all ships over 40,000 tons transiting St Mark's Basin and the Giudecca canal to the passenger terminals, and that comes into effect this year (may already be in effect, in fact). The article on cruiseindustrynews suggests that "...by moving the ferry traffic to Marghera, cruise ship traffic will only see a 12.5 percent reduction in 2014...". This is the aspect that might be affecting Thomson.

The second measure is a ban on any ship over 96,000 tons from transiting St Mark's Basin and the Giudecca canal. Originally set to come into effect from November this year, the same cruiseindustrynews post says it's been delayed until January 2015. In any case, Thomson don't have any ships exceed this limit. Of the UK-based cruise companies, P&O are the most affected by this - both Ventura and Azura exceed that limit as will Britannia when she arrives in 2015. Ventura is set to do a program of fly-cruises out of Venice this year which she will not be able to repeat in 2015 because of the ban; there are indications that she will be replaced by Oceana (c. 77,000 tons, and therefore within the limit) in 2015. Cunard are relatively unaffected - both Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, the Cunard ships which cruise to Venice, come under the limit.

Edited by tom_uk

That's interesting Sailaway but Thomson have in the past made changes at short notice... Destiny and Majesty for example so perhaps as long as they have a ship booked in to secure a berth it doesn't matter much which one it is as a swap can be made later.

If it's correct that Majesty can't sail into Venice though Thomson have a couple of problems - this season's response to the bombshell and also next season's itineraries. They won't be able to book her in there with the idea of changing later as presumably the port authority wouldn't accept the booking so do they stick with Majesty in the Adriatic and drop Venice or go to another port 'for Venice'? What would be telling are the 2015 bookings in Venice! Do doubt you will tip us off if you spot anything interesting on that front. :D

Think happy v may have a point too - quite a dilemma for Thomson if they have to take Venice off the schedule in terms of itineraries and ship deployment. It would be a real coup though if they can continue to sail into Venice when the larger ships can't - what a sales pitch! I guess the big ships will need to dock at the nearest large berthing place and tender/coach into Venice but that isn't quite the same or provides the spine tingling moments. :rolleyes:

Venice's port schedule is really annoying. Only goes up to the current year (in fact at the moment, it is still on 2013!), so I can't check here. :(

Split used to have a schedule as well online which was useful, but the links on their website don't work anymore, so it is now impossible to check the Adriatic. Will keep trying though! ;)

Venice's port schedule is really annoying. Only goes up to the current year (in fact at the moment, it is still on 2013!), so I can't check here. :(

Split used to have a schedule as well online which was useful, but the links on their website don't work anymore, so it is now impossible to check the Adriatic. Will keep trying though! ;)

Thanks for your persistence, Sailaway, it is much appreciated :)

Surely the port authority would have to honour existing bookings? Any changes would be for future bookings? Will this really affect Summer 2014 Adriatic Explorer customers? I for one would be devastated to miss Venice, the sail away from Venice was to be one of the highlights for me based on reviews from past customers. I can't see how the port authority can expect so many cruise line company's to change itinerary at such short notice. As Sailaway has pointed out in another thread, 2015 port bookings are already being finalised!

Thanks! ;)

Have you read the blog post kruzseeka. Celebration in the Adriatic. Thumbs up from me! :D

ok celebration is that for 2015 or is celebration replacing majesty for adriatic

2014 because we are due to majesty on first week may and just upgraded to outside plus cabin . Celebration is smaller than majesty how would they work this out we booked very early because we got free drink package how would cabin allocation work i wonder:cool:

ok celebration is that for 2015 or is celebration replacing majesty for adriatic

2014 because we are due to majesty on first week may and just upgraded to outside plus cabin . Celebration is smaller than majesty how would they work this out we booked very early because we got free drink package how would cabin allocation work i wonder:cool:

This is just for 2015. 2014 remains Majesty.

Surely the port authority would have to honour existing bookings? Any changes would be for future bookings? Will this really affect Summer 2014 Adriatic Explorer customers? I for one would be devastated to miss Venice, the sail away from Venice was to be one of the highlights for me based on reviews from past customers. I can't see how the port authority can expect so many cruise line company's to change itinerary at such short notice. As Sailaway has pointed out in another thread, 2015 port bookings are already being finalised!

Same.I`d be devastated also if our cruise in May did not still do Venice but unless i`m missing something,I dont see anywhere it says that Thomson cruise ships/majesty will not be visiting Venice,only that there will be a 20% reduction of ships over 40k ton

The majesty is something like 40,876 ton,whats 876 whatever it is between friends?

Edited by Jim The Scot