7/3 Star To Alaska - - Final Comments

few

OK - here are my final sections - - see my other posts for other details if you are interested

EXCURSIONS - A++

I cannot emphasize enough that your excursions in Alaska are what will make or break your experience - so choose carefully and try to do something you might never get a chance to do again and try to make your $$$ really count.

We went on the following excursions - - they were all excellent - - on each we saw wildlife, the guides were outstanding and the experiences were just what we had expected!

JUNEAU
- we did the helicopter and dogsledding on a glacier. The views from the helicopter were breathtaking -- you will never think of glaciers quite the same way again. the pilots were very friendly and knowledgeable. Landing on the glacier to do the actual dog sledding was as exciting as flying. the dog sledding was great fun - - the dogs were a RIOT!!!! - - the people who ran the dog sledding really loved what they were doing, loved the dogs and it all came through in the experience - - which I wish had been a bit longer, but nonetheless gave us a memory we will all share for the rest of our lives - - the pictures I have shared with family and friends all have gotten them interested in their own experience! The town of Juneau itself is depressing
(see my other posts for info)

SKAGWAY
- this was a catamaran ride out to an island , short forest hike and a 31 ft canoe trip out to the face of a glacier. Once again, guides were all outstanding, saw lots of wildlife - - salmon, humpback whales, bears, eagles and mountain goats. The glacier had recently calfed - and we paddled up to an iceberg that dwarfed the canoe! When we got close to the glacier - the 'weather' changed - the glacier was spitting water and ice - -very cool. Town itself is more 'alaska' than Juneau - -but still pretty touristy. There is a small historical musuem close to the foot of town, run by the US Park Service - - some great historical items and pictures - - won't take you long and definitely worth going into to get a look back in time for the area !!!

KETCHIKAN
- this again was a large catamaran ride out to Misty Fjords. We saw lots of wildlife again, the guide was very knowledgeable and we the natural beauty of the fjords was defintely worth the boat ride - - in retrospect - I might have chosen another excurison, not because this one was bad - but because the experience of taking the catamaran out to a distant location was very similar - but if this is the boat ride you choose - - bring your camera and some warm clothes - - if you choose to go on top - the boat moves fast and it gets wet and cold - - but the only spot to get great pictures. Town is again very toruisty - - but larger than Skagway and better set up than Juneau.

NCL said the time to get back on the ship was 11:30 - - when we walked back at 11:15 the lines were so long we turned around and walked back into town - poked around a bit more and came back at 12:00 - - the lines were still long, so we went to get a snack and sat down by some picnic tables near the "eagle" (you will see it when you get there) - and waited until there was no more line and went up - - we got on board around 12:30 - - I think the ship ended up leaving around 1:30 that day.

VICTORIA -
- while we did not do any excursions while in Victoria
( I have family there and visited with them)
- - I have been there many times and suggest you really get down into the Inner Harbor or out to Butchart Gardens - -

I noticed that the Royal BC Musuem was opened late the Sat night we were there - - if you are into NorthWest native art - - this is the place to visit - - the only other collection this extensive and laid out as well is in NYC at the Musuem of Natural History - - -

there are many very nice small restaraunts in the Inner Harbour area - -

if you are lucky enough, during the summer months there is always something going on there during the weekends , a concert, festival, etc.....

we got back to the ship around 11:30 pm and there was a comfortably short line to get on

TEEN PROGRAMS - B-/C+

We had out 16 yr old son with us. He was excited about the program - but when he got there it was a bust. The computers in the teen center never worked, the room was shared with younger kids. The people coordinating the program were not engaging the teens and really had no idea how to catch the interest and the spirit of teens - so he just basically never went back - - luckily , we were out on an excursion every day we were in a port, so he was exhausted by the time we got back.

Outside the purview of the teen program, he was able to take advantage of other entertainment - he is an athlete, so enjoyed playing basketball on those days NCL could leave the court safely open, used the fitness center, the internet cafe, the cinema - - and on occassion would submit to playing shufflebaord with his mother and going to watch karoke........

CRUISE DIRECTOR - B (boring)

Boring always speaks for itself - no need to get into specifics of the CD's personality, suffice it to say , very little engagement and creativity

- - but the activities for Days at Sea were a bust, my opinion only - - but they still seemed to be operating a 'caribbean' approach - problem with that is, on the Alaska cruise - - not really sunny and warm enough to casually lounge by the pool - (see my other posts if interested - don't want to repeat myself)

DISEMBARKATION - A++

NCL has got this down cold in Seattle!!! KUDOS to them.

You are not rushed off the ship or expected to huddle in the hallways and lounges!

You take your time, have some breakfast and wait to be called.

We got up around 6:30 - - took our small carry ons and went to have some breakfast -sat and ate our breakfast up on the pool deck until we were called - - very relaxing!

We went out to Customs, went down to portage , located our bags, walked outside and caught a cab to the airport!

Seamless!

(
NOTE:
I would STRONGLY recommend you "tag" your bag with something very visually identifiable - - it will be easier to see them in the big room at the port where NCL sets the bags for you to pick up - - imagine trying to find your bags in a sea of 1,000's of other black and blue , wheeled cases - lined up in rows!!!! - -think about it and prepare your baggage for easy identification - - you will be glad you did)

That's it and I hope this helps - -

Be Glad to answer any questions we might be able to

Terrific descriptions and insights...Just wondering. It appears that one usually books their excursions through their cruise line:confused: . Can you book outside and if so what are the dangers ie: will boat wait if it gets back later. I understand that their own booked they always wait.

Shore excursions are usually much cheaper if arranged for independently, but you do risk the boat sailing away without you.....

We normally book on our own, instead of going with the larger groups from the ship. I am always watching the time, and have booked cruise insurance in case we miss the ship.

KETCHIKAN - this again was a large catamaran ride out to Misty Fjords. We saw lots of wildlife again, the guide was very knowledgeable and we the natural beauty of the fjords was defintely worth the boat ride - - in retrospect - I might have chosen another excurison, not because this one was bad - but because the experience of taking the catamaran out to a distant location was very similar - but if this is the boat ride you choose - - bring your camera and some warm clothes - - if you choose to go on top - the boat moves fast and it gets wet and cold - - but the only spot to get great pictures. Town is again very toruisty - - but larger than Skagway and better set up than Juneau.

Few - can you tell me who you book the catamaran ride with? This sounds like something I would like to go on with my husband.

Tamara

Terrific descriptions and insights...Just wondering. It appears that one usually books their excursions through their cruise line:confused: . Can you book outside and if so what are the dangers ie: will boat wait if it gets back later. I understand that their own booked they always wait.

SEAMAC 29:

When cruising to a new location for the first time - - unless I am with others who have been to the ports before - I always opt to book through the cruise line. It is more expensive - - but they guarantee not to leave until everyone is back.

With independent excursions - you are on your own.

Having said that, in ports where you are in for longer than 8 hours and you get up early to do a morning excursion knowing you will be back mid day -- you should be fine.

Excursion operators usually try to book several trips a day - - they don't want to lose monery either , so it is in their interests to get you and their equipment back for the next run

But there is always that risk.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP

If I have one complaint about NCL is the cruise directors. I don't know why but none of them have ever really excited me. Of course we have cruised enough that it really doesn't make or break our cruises, but I still wonder why this is the case? of course on Celebrity the cruise director wasn't the best either and the activity staff, for the most part were not only laking in personality but some were down right rude. Maybe we just expect too much. NMNita

OK - here are my final sections - - see my other posts for other details if you are interested

EXCURSIONS - A++

I cannot emphasize enough that your excursions in Alaska are what will make or break your experience - so choose carefully and try to do something you might never get a chance to do again and try to make your $$$ really count.

We went on the following excursions - - they were all excellent - - on each we saw wildlife, the guides were outstanding and the experiences were just what we had expected!

JUNEAU
- we did the helicopter and dogsledding on a glacier. The views from the helicopter were breathtaking -- you will never think of glaciers quite the same way again. the pilots were very friendly and knowledgeable. Landing on the glacier to do the actual dog sledding was as exciting as flying. the dog sledding was great fun - - the dogs were a RIOT!!!! - - the people who ran the dog sledding really loved what they were doing, loved the dogs and it all came through in the experience - - which I wish had been a bit longer, but nonetheless gave us a memory we will all share for the rest of our lives - - the pictures I have shared with family and friends all have gotten them interested in their own experience! The town of Juneau itself is depressing
(see my other posts for info)

and if so, can I ask what they charge? I checked with tempsco through the advice of the board and they charge $299 per person but this is in skagway. Just curious what the price difference is when you book it through the ship.

THanks in advance.

I recently returned from the June 26th departure of the Norwegian Star. We had an awesome time.

I did the Helicopter and Dog Sled excursions in Juneau with my wife and 2 kids (age 9 and 7) and it was fantastic. The cost was $400 per person -vs- $459 through NCL.

NCL, Royal Caribbean etc seem to use a dog sled camp near the top of Mendenhall Glacier. The outfit I used lands on Hubert Glacier. The camp is smaller, approximately 62 dogs versus the 100+ dogs at the other camp.

The beauty of our tour was that we got to fly over Mendenhall and Hubert and the views at the top of Hubert were fantastic. We also had a lot of personal attention. My kids had a lot of one on one time with the dogs and still talk about it. It's an expensive tour, but it's really a lot rolled into one tour: flight seeing, glacier walking, dog sledding, and unbelieveable photography and also the part of saying you actually did it.

As for the dog sledding itself . . . we never went that fast and we were probably on the sleds for about 30 minutes total. But we spent close to an hour and a half at the camp itself absorbing the scenery, taking pictures, and petting the dogs and the puppies.

Here are the pics from our trip, including the Dog Sledding. Let me know what you think.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=asa2of1.3jmscag5&x=0&y=k4thy9

(There's almost 700 pictures here, so ignore some of the earlier pics like the pre-cruise party and the Seattle sightseeing pictures and go right to the Juneau shots. You can't miss them)

If you're traveling before September 4th departure, DO NOT MISS THE BUTCHART GARDENS AND FIREWORKS DO. It's the best way to end the trip.

Take care.

Uf Tukel

AlaskaCruises.com

Uf---We were on the June 26 Star cruise to Alaska as well. I really enjoyed your photos as we did different excursions (Captain Larry's Whale Watching, WhitePass Railroad, City Ketchikan Cruise). We are from Florida as well and really enjoyed the cool climate. As it turns out, I booked our cruise through your company!! Small world. Thanks again for the beautiful photos.

Archived