Arriving day of - exploring San Juan before boarding?

Beezle82

This may be a silly question - please forgive my ignorance as I have only cruised once before, and never on a cruise of this 'caliber'. :-)

We will be flying in the day of our cruise - should be arriving at the terminal at San Juan around 1:00pm or so. Would it be possible (or just a big hassle?) to board the ship, get all checked in, grab a bit to eat and then get back off the ship to explore San Juan for a few hours? I'm assuming we would have to go through security again before reboarding.

Or - would it be a better idea to just hand our luggage to the porters once we get to the pier and then go off and explore before boarding the ship?

Or is none of this a good idea? :D

I'm just really kicking myself for not booking the trip to arrive the day before. I really want to be able to use our aprox 6 hour window of time between arriving at the pier and having to be on board for sail away to our advantage!!

Arriving at the ship at 1 PM on sailaway day after a flight to San Juan I would really just stay on the ship and relax. Unless you are full of extra energy it will wear you out before you even begin an already port intensive cruise. Old San Juan is beautiful, but it is hot and hilly. I am always tired after a few hours there. Yes, you should have gone to San Juan a day or two pre-cruise to enjoy this marvelous historic port. However, you won't really have much time to explore after boarding. There is also a taxi ride both ways. Remember you MUST be back on board 90 minutes before sail away!

If you really want to see Old San Juan I would recommend going on a post-cruise tour through the ship if your flight home is after 2 PM. Otherwise your best option really would be to drop off your bags with the porters and head right into OSJ via cab. Check in after you tour. Again - no later than 90 minutes before sail away! That is assuming your flight is on time.

Last best bet is to book another cruise out of San Juan while onboard, get a nice OBC and reduced deposit and plan to spend extra time in San Juan the next time around.:)

Edit to note: We have dropped our bags & checked into the ship, boarded and had lunch as you described in the past before heading back into OSJ via cab. However, we were at the port by 11:00 AM and were in OSJ by 1:30. We headed back to the ship around 5 PM.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Arriving at the ship at 1 PM on sailaway day after a flight to San Juan I would really just stay on the ship and relax. Unless you are full of extra energy it will wear you out before you even begin an already port intensive cruise. Old San Juan is beautiful, but it is hot and hilly. I am always tired after a few hours there. Yes, you should have gone to San Juan a day or two pre-cruise to enjoy this marvelous historic port. However, you won't really have much time to explore after boarding. There is also a taxi ride both ways. Remember you MUST be back on board 90 minutes before sail away!

If you really want to see Old San Juan I would recommend going on a post-cruise tour through the ship if your flight home is after 2 PM. Otherwise your best option really would be to drop off your bags with the porters and head right into OSJ via cab. Check in after you tour. Again - no later than 90 minutes before sail away! That is assuming your flight is on time.

Last best bet is to book another cruise out of San Juan while onboard, get a nice OBC and reduced deposit and plan to spend extra time in San Juan the next time around.:)

Edit to note: We have dropped our bags & checked into the ship, boarded and had lunch as you described in the past before heading back into OSJ via cab. However, we were at the port by 11:00 AM and were in OSJ by 1:30. We headed back to the ship around 5 PM.

You say that you took a cab into old San Juan, i thought the pier is in Old San Juan. Why did you take a cab?

You say that you took a cab into old San Juan, i thought the pier is in Old San Juan. Why did you take a cab?

Carnival DOES dock in OSJ - there is another dock there, though, where the OP may have been.

We came in day of, too and had planned to drop off our bags and explore,but by the time we got to the ship from tha airport and went thru all the check in processes, decided we'd just chill until time to sail. We had already planned to stay a couple of days extra, so that worked out for us.

I missed that the OP is sailing on Carnival. They are the only cruise line that originates cruises out of the pier in Old San Juan. All of the other cruise lines that originate out of San Juan sail out of the Pan Am Pier which is about a 10 minute cab ride away from OSJ. We sailed out on Princess that last time and will be on RCI this next time, both out of the Pan Am Pier.

Under those circumstances it is more doable to see some of OSJ after checking into the ship. However, after a long flight I would be too tired personally to tackle the hot cobblestones of the historic district. But that's just me. The OP may be full of energy!

Our last flight (in May - so not with winter weather problems) was 5 hours late arriving in San Juan. I know some people cannot change their flights to a day earlier, but I personally would not fly in the day of. San Juan has a lot to do and see. For people who have yet to book their flights - plan a day or two early and enjoy San Juan! This will be our fourth time in San Juan and we are still flying in two days early to have some time to enjoy what there is to offer.:)

You should do it.

We are taking a cruise leaving from the Pan American pier. We plan on arriving at the ship at 11 (staying at the SJU airport hotel the night before). Should be on board by 12, then lunch and drop off bags at the room between 1-1:30.

Next take a taxi to OSJ (you wont have to because you are right there), explore for 3 or so hours then back to the ship by 5 to get ready for dinner.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I'm glad to hear that we're at the pier that is right in OSJ. I'm going to for sure plan on doing at least a bit of exploring before sail away.

We ARE going to have a super long day that day, so my initial plan was to just relax on board after getting there, but unfortunately I'm not a very good relaxer. The opportunity for me to take a vacation like this doesn't come along very often at all, so when I do get to take one I feel the urge to do and experience as much as possible! I think I was driving the BF nuts on our last cruise because everytime we sat down to 'relax', I would sit for about 10 minutes and then hop up and start meandering around. :rolleyes:

Ok that makes more sense, i too will be on a carnival cruise. I don't mind to much being busy before i leave, not planning on doing much when on board so plenty of time to relax.

I am almost done making up my mind what tours before and after my cruise. I do plan on arriving a few days early, as suggested above and staying in Old San Juan. I love to walk around and get lost in these type of old cities. I am almost certain i will be doing an excursion with Island Marketing with airport drop off when leaving San Juan, i really like that option and they have been extremely helpful. They seem to be the best price for the dollar. They do not offer the rain forest but they told me that it is coming. So for now i am still learning more. Since this is a sailing vacation might just take a day sail with them on one of my days after coming back from the beach:-)

Are there any recommended bars and/or restaurants near the pier? I know that Senor Frogs is right there, and I'm planning on having a drink or two there (although I've heard that it's way overpriced and it's such a 'touristy' place that I don't want to spend much time there). I'm also hoping to have enough time to visit the forts.

Are there any recommended bars and/or restaurants near the pier? I know that Senor Frogs is right there, and I'm planning on having a drink or two there (although I've heard that it's way overpriced and it's such a 'touristy' place that I don't want to spend much time there). I'm also hoping to have enough time to visit the forts.

I have been to senor frogs in other locations and unless you want loud noise and a balloon on your head bypass:-) I have heard that the bars up higher in old San Juan open late, but since i have not been yet not sure.

Definitely take the time for the forts, i have toured in many locations, on my own and guided. For myself i like being guided as long as the prices are not exaggerated and sometimes the prices are. I am planning a guided tour of the Forts then walk around and discover on my own and wherever looks interesting enough to stop and do just that, have a local drink.

I went to Senor Frogs in Nassau and thought it was kind of fun. Definitely not a place I'd want to spend all day at, but I enjoy going there just for a drink or two - just to say that I did. :)

I have been to that one as well. Good luck in your search:-)

You should do it.

We are taking a cruise leaving from the Pan American pier. We plan on arriving at the ship at 11 (staying at the SJU airport hotel the night before). Should be on board by 12, then lunch and drop off bags at the room between 1-1:30.

Next take a taxi to OSJ (you wont have to because you are right there), explore for 3 or so hours then back to the ship by 5 to get ready for dinner.

Your departure is not, by any chance, on the 8th of march, because I have also the night on the airport hotel and plan the same, but with RCI's Jewel of the Seas. If yes we might share a cab.

Your departure is not, by any chance, on the 8th of march, because I have also the night on the airport hotel and plan the same, but with RCI's Jewel of the Seas. If yes we might share a cab.

Sorry, departing March 29th. Let me know how your OSJ site seeing went.

There are several nice restaurants that are pretty famous in OSJ. Barrachina's is one and the Parrot Club is another. Do a google search or check out Trip Advisor for other recommendations and locations.

On our first trip into OSJ we went with recommendations from these boards and took a taxi UPHILL to El Morro Fort. Your ship will be ported at the base of a pretty steep incline on which Old San Juan is built. We toured the fort and then walked downhill while exploring the town. There are a ton of quaint shops and restaurants tucked in all the way down. In addition there are museums and other historic sites along the way. You may have time to do both forts, but El Morro is the major fort and is worth spending some time visiting. The views from the top of the fort are amazing. We only visited El Morro on our first visit as we also wanted to spend time shopping and relaxing at one of the outdoor cafes. It is all in what your priorities are and how much time you have.

On another visit we checked into our ship and took a cab back from the Pan Am Pier to OSJ and took a Segway Tour. That included a guided tour of El Morro & was a ton of fun! It was a great way to go up that hill to the fort, too. On the way down we zigzagged through the historic cobblestone streets. After the tour we had time to shop and have a cool beverage at an outdoor cafe. The Segway office was located right next to the Carnival Pier.

Have fun and be sure to pace yourself. However, it sounds as if you are full of energy and that's great. Enjoy!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Thanks for all of the insider info, Ginny! I'm really excited to check out the fort(s). When we initially booked this trip, I was kind of bummed that our ship wasn't leaving port until 10pm. Now I'm GLAD that it's not! :)

Castillo de San Cristóba fort is within walking distance from the OSJ cruise port if you are interested. I think the cost to go into the fort was 5.00, I thought it was very interesting and I was able to see almost all of the fort and get some great pictures while I was there.

We are sailing out of San Juan next November, and our plan is to board the ship, hopefully drop everything in the cabin and grab a quick cab to the fort for a quick tour...we are with friends that have never been to San Juan before.

Enjoy San Juan

Senor Frogs is very touristy. But it is conveniently located near the cruise ship pier.

Try: Barrachina for one of the 2 'original' pina coladas,

El Patio De Sam if you go to El Morro fort you will be close by- good frozen drinks, and usually a buy one get one coupon,

Punta de Vista- great view of your ship from here, also often in the coupon books,

and if you are truly in to Dive Bars (and I mean that in the best possible way- it's a total dive- as in stick to bottle beer or booze that is strong enough to kill germs and cash only), El Batey.

All of these places will come up on google maps or whatever on your smart phone with no problem.

Get your stuff unpacked in your room and then go prowl around. You'll always be near the ship if you stay in Old San Juan. I personally would board early and start exploring the ship- since you have so many port days, you won't have as much time on board anyway.

Check the closing time for the forts. You probably don't have enough time to visit both on the same day, and do any bar-hopping.

If the sun is out, head down to the end of Paseo de la Princesa under the city wall for a good sunset view, and the lookout posts from the fort look very pretty in the dusk as the sky color changes.

You can board the ship and then leave. We have been to Puerto Rico several times. I recommend boarding the ship and then getting a bite to eat. Walk up the hill to the other side of Old San Juan to see the forts. There are 2 forts in OSJ. Take the free trolley between the forts. There is a great walk if you head north after you get off the ship. Follow the walkway to the end which will take you around the walls. This is really neat at night. You will hear the cochi frogs.

I must say that walking around both forts can be exhausting. Wear comfortable shoes. There are a few neat parks to rest and people watch.

We were in San Juan on a cruise on Christmas Day and many places were closed but we found fantastic mojitos in Old San Juan at the restaurant inside the historic El Convento Hotel, originally built more than 300 years ago as a Carmelite Convent (see photos and details in this blog post)

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/30/finding-the-perfect-mojito-in-old-san-juan-puerto-rico/

The El Convento also has a terrific Spanish tapas restaurant in the upstairs which was closed on Christmas but we visited during another cruise stop in San Juan.

We also enjoyed a "hidden" wine bar in Old San Juan that Paulina of Spoon Food tours introduced us to... http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/22/eating-and-drinking-our-way-through-san-juan-puerto-rico-with-spoon-food-tours-part-3/

We were in San Juan on a cruise on Christmas Day and many places were closed but we found fantastic mojitos in Old San Juan at the restaurant inside the historic El Convento Hotel, originally built more than 300 years ago as a Carmelite Convent (see photos and details in this blog post)

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/30/finding-the-perfect-mojito-in-old-san-juan-puerto-rico/

The El Convento also has a terrific Spanish tapas restaurant in the upstairs which was closed on Christmas but we visited during another cruise stop in San Juan.

We also enjoyed a "hidden" wine bar in Old San Juan that Paulina of Spoon Food tours introduced us to... http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/22/eating-and-drinking-our-way-through-san-juan-puerto-rico-with-spoon-food-tours-part-3/

Ooooooh, I'm going to have to add this to the list for sure - we're big Mojito fans! I'm not a huge mixed drink/cocktail person because they're generally too sweet and sugary, but Mojitos are just so refreshing - especially when they're made well!

• 1 month later...
Sorry, departing March 29th. Let me know how your OSJ site seeing went.

As I had a b2b and a informal roll-call meeting at the first day of my cruise I did my sightseeing at the turnaround day and as I was on my own I walked from Pan American Pier to the Old Town and back (instead of spending around 20 bucks per way).

The cab from the Airport to the pier was 27 Dollars plus 1 Dollar for each big bag. I waited a little time and joined a nice couple which I recognised because their bags got bag tags from my cruise.

I was at the pier before 11am and they opened the doors by 11am, I was on board by 11.20am and got my room just after 1pm. I could have gone to Old San Juan and 5 hours is quite enough time if you take a taxi.