Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean

NewSalt

We've sailed three times on Celebrity (the Summit) and have been pleased each time, especially with the way they accommodate my DGS's many food allergies.

Unfortunately, this year there's no Celebrity cruise which fits our time and port requirements, so have booked on the Explorer of the Seas.

The only other line we've sailed is Princess and found each had its strengths; The champagne welcome, cold drinks and lounge chairs on the dock, cotton balls and Q-tips on Celebrity were things we liked, but also liked having a laundry on board, Movies Under the Stars, and coffee card on Princess. Walso much preferred the buffet on The Summit for both it's selection and lay-out.

Can anyone tell me what differences we'll see between X and RCL? We'll be sailing with our DD and DSIL and two grandsons, 4 and 1.

Edited by NewSalt

My wife has Celiac. The staff on Reflection was very good, but the staff on Mariner and Freedom with RCCL have taken care of her needs better than any MDR staff yet. Princess in 2012 was ok, but lacking. The Explorer is the same design as the Mariner, excellent choice with the Grand Kids!

I haven't done Explorer but I did say Independence of the Seas, which is similar.

Royal Caribbean cabins are very similar in size and layout to the ones of Celebrity. Cabin stewards are very friendly and accommodating. So you'll get a good vibe.

The ships aren't as sophisticated as Celebrity. The vibe is noisier and more energetic. The crew are friendly but more casual.

The food was really good on the three Royal cruises I've done in recent years. The buffet is as good as celebrity but I wasn't overly impressed with the food in the specialty restaurants. I did like the service there and being in smaller restaurant. I am not a fan of the MDR on any cruise ship- since they remind me of wedding receptions. Just not a thrill but I think I've cruise too much perhaps!

The indoor pool area on Royal is very nice and the kids will be able to use this pool at limited times. I think the kids will enjoy the outdoor play water play area- but I wasn't impressed with the outdoor pool on Independence of the Seas because it was really cold. I suspect they change the water frequently due to spilled drinks and other "accidents" which is good but means it is cold. No one was in it on a very busy sailing.

Your family will have a good time but Royal is just not my favorite. I did like Serenade of the Seas, which is similar to the M-class celebrity ships. I like a bit more adult feel and Royal is trying to attract families with kids so it lacks the sophisticated design and decor of Celebrity.

The mall area on Explorer is fun for kids and the youth program will be so much fun for the four year old.

At the end of the day, I think you will have fun on Explorer but will have the same reaction as I did- it's just not as upscale or relaxing as Celebrity.

I've sailed only Celebrity and Explorer of the Seas, and did so probably for the same reason. All in all I thought there were more similarities than differences between the two lines, but I will highlight some of the main differences that I found.

The biggest one is food. Food is still pretty good on Explorer (with the exception of the buffet, which was more high school cafeteria or Old Country buffet than what Celebrity puts forth). The quality of meats and seafood on Explorer are down a notch, and the preparations are not as creative. Meats are also not cooked to order (eg. when you order lamb, you can only get medium rare or medium well because they cooked it all already, vs on Celebrity every dish is cooked to order in the MDR). When I was on her, there was no escargot either which made me sad. But there are still definitely tasty things to eat every night in the MDR on Explorer. Just not as mindblowingly delicious. There are also fewer venues for food on the Explorer. Less specialty restaurants, and less free eateries as well. You pretty much just have the buffet, the MDR, and Cafe promenade for the free food. On Celebrity there is the buffet, the MDR, the Mast Grill, Cafe Al Bacio, and AquaSpa Cafe for free. The only free ice cream on Explorer is soft serve vanilla or chocolate, while Celebrity offers all the normal flavors for free and only gelato is extra.

The second is entertainment. Both lines do this well, but I prefer Celebrity. Though the ice show on Explorer was amazing. The music on Explorer was almost entirely a tribute to the 60's, 70's, and 80's. It's great if you like that. It's not great if you prefer broadway, opera, classical, and jazz, which Celebrity does much more of. There are also more party like activities on Explorer, and more low key activities on Celebrity. For example the 70s party and Quest (a very rowdy adult scavenger hunt) were probably the most attended events, while on Celebrity the matinee a cappella and broadway performances and the cooking show were the most attended.

The fact that you have a 1 year old with you will change things. I'm not familiar with this area, but I have read a review from someone who brought their under 3 year old son on Explorer and had a really difficult time because the ship does not provide anything for kids in that age range. And I remember on the dailies that we received there was one hour slots for kids under three to play with some toys about 3 days during the cruise. And that's it. Celebrity I know at least provides some in room babysitting for a fee for kids under three.

We sailed Explorer Aug-Sept. 2012 and found very few children aboard. I agree with most the comments made above about RCCL. I will sail again with RCCL when the situation is right.

At the time we sailed the ship was showing her age in some areas. However still very nice, and great crew members.

Hope you have a great trip

Thanks for the responses; they were helpful and made me even more excited about the trip.

DGS4 is taking ice skating lessons and absolutely loves them. I can't wait to see his face when he finds out he can ice skate on "the big ship!"