Staying in fll but sailing out of miami

beachchairs2

has anyone rented a car in fort lauderdale and then returned it in miami?

we will stay in fort lauderdale and then pick up the cruise in miami....we will rent a car in fort laud....anyone done this before and has some advice...easy in fort laud to rent the car...just at airport but not so in miami....

thank you....

National, Alamo and Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location; others (Avis, etc.) have offices in downtown Miami very close to POM, but no shuttles; a taxi from downtown to POM will cost you about $12+tip,

we will stay in fort lauderdale and then pick up the cruise in miami....we will rent a car in fort laud....anyone done this before and has some advice...easy in fort laud to rent the car...just at airport but not so in miami....

thank you....

We have done this twice -- once with Avis (taxi from downtown to POM was about $12) and another time we dropped the car at MIA; easier to drop the car at MIA than to fight downtown traffic, but if you get a good rate... :rolleyes: Going back from POM to FLL we usually do not have the time to rent a car and use shuttles. Good luck! :)

thank you....

Back to the question....yes, you can do this. Different rental agencies may charge extra to return to different locations. Budget does not charge a fee to return to a different location within the state of Florida, others do but I cannot tell you for sure which do and do not. We are most likely going to do this for our cruise this summer as we did the same last year out of MCO to Port Canaveral and it worked very well or our needs.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

• 2 weeks later...

We did this - flew into FLL, picked up rental car at airport, drove to POM. Our hotel was actually in MIA (and they didn't charge us for parking). My DH dropped the kids and I at the port, then returned the car to MIA airport, then took free shuttle back to port. Easy peazy. Check the different rental companies - a number of them do this for no extra. I think we did Hertz - but it might have been Budget.

My review has more details - Carnival Breeze 2012 linked in my sig.

have fun!