Booking your own shore excursions

I may have asked this earlier but can't find the post. My wife and I and various family members just booked our first cruise on Carnival for next June. There are certain shore excursions that we want to do and I keep reading about saving money by booking directly instead of through the cruise company. How do we go about this? Who do we contact? We are sailing on the Legend out of NY and going to the eastern caribbean (San Juan, St Thomas, Tortola). Also has anyone ever done the swim w/ the dolphins? Hike in the National rainforest in San Juan? A greenhorn here and any info. would be appreciated:confused:

Hi! Glad to see another poster from PA.

I'd say your best bet for finding good info on shore excursions would be to go to the Ports of Call portion of these boards and look at each island. You should find lots of help on different excursions and private companies on those islands to book with. I've used recommendations from these boards numerous times and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Have fun on your cruise!

Just look on Cruise Critic under excursions...read others posts, etc. for good ideas of excursions and what others have liked. If you book through Carnival it costs more but you always know you will get back on time. We always book ourselves or don't book anything ahead of time. When you get off the ship there are tons of people ready to take you whereever you want to go. Last year in GC we were booked through Carnival for the stingray tour and couldnt go because of high winds. Carnival cancelled it. However, we found out people that booked on their own went anyways. We were disappointed we didn't go with someone else. There are pros and cons to both. Money being the most.But like I said cruise these boards and you will find lots of excursions to book via the internet.

I am leaving on my honeymoon on Carnival's Elation on 8/21. What about cancellations? With the hurricanes if the cruise lines, change itineraries and go to a different island can you get your money back from an independent or escursion that you booked yourselves?

Another good source for info might be the rollcall board for your cruise. A lot of the discussion on ours has had to do with who's doing what, where, and with whom.

I think you'll have a good time planning them. It took me about three months to finalize excursions, but it was a fun ride researching all the offerings:D

I am leaving on my honeymoon on Carnival's Elation on 8/21. What about cancellations? With the hurricanes if the cruise lines, change itineraries and go to a different island can you get your money back from an independent or escursion that you booked yourselves?

Reputable third-party excursion operators know that they'd get bad press on these boards if they screwed people out of deposits because of weather, etc. The key word, of course, is reputable. The "Port" boards are a great source of info on how to determine who is, and isn't.

PS- Take a look at Island Marketing, Ltd out of the Cayman's;)

If you want to see your post---click on your name and there will be an option to view all posts.

a good excursion in st thomas--- http://www.godfreytoursvi.com you get to do a little of evertyhing. If youdo a searchon the boards for his services you wont see a bad review. Its all worth it for 20.00 pp

If you want to see your post---click on your name and there will be an option to view all posts.

a good excursion in st thomas--- www.godfreytoursvi.com you get to do a little of evertyhing. If youdo a searchon the boards for his services you wont see a bad review. Its all worth it for 20.00 pp

I 2nd this choice for St. Thomas!! :)

Hiking the rainforrest in San Juan. Stuff closes in San Jaun by 5pm- if that is something you want to do- head there as soon as you dock. We spent our time in San Juan walking off the pier and just walked. Carriage rides are available right at the pier. (they do tours of old san juan)

Read the port of calls board to find private vendors email addresses or web page.

Archived