Explorer Refurb?

jettman

Can anyone confirm that Silver Explorer is going through a refurb in April 2014? Do you know what is being done? We are reading that Explorer really looks tired and needs new carpets and paint.

Any comments on the condition of Explorer is appreciated. We will sail on Explorer for the first time on May 16th out of Portsmouth.

Thanks,

Jettman

It's nice for an expedition ship. We have been 3x, most recently October of last year. It's not overly tired or scruffy, but it will be even nicer with some refurbishment. I have some suite pictures in my review (link in signature).

My wife and I were on the Explorer from Cape Town to Dakar and then from Longyearbyen to Churchill in 2013 and agree it needed soft updates. I had the impression that the carpet was going to be replaced with something more durable and water tolerant.

We will also be joining in Portsmouth on May 16. Jettman, we'll look for you on board.

We were aboard in May 2013 and there was peeling paint on the ceiling of our cabin, cracked wall moldings under the window, thick layers of paint in public areas that needed to be stripped and repainted, etc. Adding in some disappointing food and spotty service, she went from our favorite ship to one we would think twice about booking again without changes.

We look forward to the improvements.