Earliest flight on disembarkation day

brewster007

We have a 10:10 AM flight. We plan on self disembarking. My other option was to wait 8 hours at the FLL airport. I just don't want to do that. I'll deal with the stress of getting all my stuff off the ship as soon as we clear. From the sounds of things, if you self disembark, you can get to the airport as early as 8:00 AM. If that's the case, we'll be there with two hours to spare. I'm good with that.

You should be fine ... unless disembarkation is delayed because of immigration problems - or if the ship has a slight mechanical problem and you don't make it into port at 6:00/7:00am. We have cruised HAL six times. Three times we either arrived late into port (mid-morning) or if in port on time were very delayed getting off the ship. Three times all went according to plan.

Sorry. The cruise calendar we have only goes through September 2014. :(

Most of the time when we had noon flights, we were to the airport by 9:30. Many times the airlines would move us to an earlier flight at no charge.

We tried to get a change on Southwest, but they wanted a LOT of money, and would not check the bags for our flight. Another hour in line and they checked us in. Couldn't find coffee before security.:( By the time we got through security, had a beer and a sandwich. If we ever land in FL again, I'll rent a car and get a hotel room. I see on these threads it is a nice area to spend a day.

• 11 months later...

We are scheduled to come in to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday 3/8/15 (Nieuw Amsterdam). I understand there will be about 6 ships coming in that day. With that in mind, if we do the luggage direct program, would we be able to make an 11:30 am flight?

Thanks for your help!

We are scheduled to come in to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday 3/8/15 (Nieuw Amsterdam). I understand there will be about 6 ships coming in that day. With that in mind, if we do the luggage direct program, would we be able to make an 11:30 am flight?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, no, and maybe. Generally I'd say it wouldn't be a problem but stuff happens from weather to mechanical to the ship clearing Customs and Immigration and there's no way to predict those. Personally we don't book flights until after noon but obviously 11:30 is close. Funny thing, in retrospect because it wasn't funny at the time, the only flight we've missed was one of the latest we've booked for a 1:30 PM flight. On that cruise just about everything that could go wrong went wrong but it does happen.

Update - just off the Westerdam on Saturday, Feb 7. We did regular disembarkation, exited the ship at 8 am, through customs by 8:20 and at the airport by around 8:40. Security lines were not very long (10-15 minutes tops) and were at the gates by 9:15 am.