Radiance Alaska - Pool band?

DLKC

Just curious - when cruising Alaska, does the Radiance have a steel drum pool band? Somehow that seems like it would be out of place, but I've only cruised in warm climates before. Besides watching the scenery, which I know is what cruising Alaska is all about, are there activities on the pool deck during the day?

The 3 times we've cruised to Alaska there was a band by the pool on very rare occassions and it was not a Caribbean Reggae band. You won't find many poolside activities in Alaska like you would a warmer climate.. but the scenery is so beautiful you won't miss it.

While we're on the subject of an Alaskan cruise on the Radiance, I will be going on my first Alaskan cruise in August (southbound on the Radiance). In general, how smooth are the sailings? Will the ship go through open waters? I'm booked on an aft balcony cabin. It's the first time I'm on an aft cabin as I usually book mid ship cabins.

No band or pool side activities on our two May northbound cruises on ROS.

We've had great weather and very calm seas... during the inside sailings it's been like "glass" very quiet and almost eerie !

We'll be going again this May and will see if anything has changed..

We've had mid-ship cabins to Alaska but will have a corner aft this time...looking forward since we love those afts on other itineraries.

There wasn't much going on by the pool, but there are lots of activities all over the ship all the time. So many that sometimes we had to pick one over the other.

As for the motion of the ocean, we actually had a number of rough days and nights, and we were cruising at the end if July, so that just goes to show you that you never know, and you should be prepared with sea bands or medicine just in case.

We were REALLY rocking the night we were sailing into Juneau, which is protected waters and people always say it's like glass, but not on our sailing :)

And the worst rocking was leaving Icey Strait, which is also not open waters. We were rocking from side to side like crazy! It started during the Love and Marriage game show and people started leaving because they were getting sea sick.

Not trying to scare you! Just saying that just because other people have motion free sailings doesn't guaranty you will too and you should come prepared.

You'll have an amazing trip! Alaska and the Radiance are both as good as it gets!

Sailed July 2012 on Radiance of the seas to Alaska. During the entire cruise you could barely feel motion during the trip, Including the open ocean portion heading for Seward. Very little poolside going on with exception of the barbecue as we left Hubbard Glacier. For sure no steel drums or band music

You won't miss it as the scenery and wildlife fabulous.

Best memory, the gent in a kilt with bagpipes playing on the forward part of the promenade deck whilst ROS sailed through a pod of at least 50 whales. The Gent was a passenger, not an employee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best memory, the gent in a kilt with bagpipes playing on the forward part of the promenade deck whilst ROS sailed through a pod of at least 50 whales. The Gent was a passenger, not an employee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cool! I used to have a pipe band practice near my house. Love them.