snacks/ drinks

megann831

we're taking the kdis on their 1st cruise in April, they'll be turning 2 and 4. It's a week long cruise and we'll be spending a day at Disney, a day at the beach in Nassau, and then be walking around Freeport a bit. I know they're will be plenty to eat on the cruise, but what about when we're off the boat. My kids aren't too picky, but they do eat alot. I bring out alot of snacks in little baggies. Will I be able to bring things like that on and off the boat? They're both good with water, but my little one does drink alot of milk, including a bottle at bed. I'm pretty sure I've seen juice boxes with milk that do not need to be refrigerated, should I stock up on those? Are milk boxes available like you'd get at a school cafeteria? I'd like to grab a bunch to keep in the room? Is there much of a selection at the buffet of prepackaged snacks we can bring back to the room? Is juice available for the kids? Do we need to pay extra for that?

I feel a little overwhelmed packing for all of us and I don't want to go overboard with snacks and drinks, but I want to make sure there is stuff available for them at all time. Especially off the boat and if my little one wakes up at night and wants some milk. Doesn't really happen at home, but I'm sure things may be different on the ship. We're cruising the Carnival Pride.

The official rule is that you can only take packaged snacks off the ship- no fruits of veggies. Whether or not you get caught- who knows? These are agricultural rules.

I haven't sailed on Carnival recently but there is milk on board usually at breakfast. There is room service and you can get it from them too or grab some in the AM and put in the frig in the room (if there is one) or tell your cabin steward you need to keep it on ice.

If you are really worried, I would bring the little packaged non refrigerated one with you for emergencies but you will be able to obtain milk on board.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I agree that you'll have problems taking off "snacks" off the ship into port. But usually you can take factory-sealed snacks in most ports (the only exception I've read so far has been in Australia/New Zealand). You should be able to find single serve packages of goldfish in any grocery store. Plus, there should be single serve boxes of cereal on the ship, but if your children have favorites, it's probably best to pack these too.

If you're flying to your embarkation port, do so at least a day early (which I recommend for everyone anyway) so you can get in a shopping trip. You'll want to do this for any bulky items such as diapers/pullups for your 2-year-old, but you can get juice boxes and the snacks too.

We didn't have any problem getting milk at any time on board the ship. At meal times, I would hand over a sippy cup or bottle to the waiter and he'll get it filled with milk. (bring whatever utensils and toddler items, as well as a travel bottle of dish detergent for cleaning these)

Back when we were on Carnival ships (last time was in 2002) there weren't mini-fridges in the cabins (Princess has them in every cabin). If there is one in your cabin, you can take back a carton (the buffet should have them) and place in an ice bucket in your fridge to keep it cool. If there isn't, ask the waiter if they have milk cartons available at all hours. S/he might know.

I haven't sailed carnival with kids, and hopefully those families will respond soon.

Both HAL and Princess had room service that would bring cold or warm milk to the room - you could even order it ahead of time and schedule it to be there before bedtime. If carnival has a fridge in the room, you can store milk there. My son didn't really like anything but fresh milk.

In general, we found it very easy to find/bring snacks with us on excursions.

My son loved the little breakfast cereal boxes, and we warded off many meltdowns during excursions by letting him choose a cereal box and eat it when he was getting restless. I had a huge bag just of cereal for this purpose, and although everyone laughed at me for lugging that many boxes around, it averted meltdowns by being able to give my son whatever type of cereal he wanted on the excursions. There is also fruit, and possibly saltines. For myself, I snuck chocolate chip cookies in ziplock bags I brought on the cruise.

I think you will find it easy to always have snacks and milk for your kids on board. I usually bring my own packaged snacks like goldfish, pretzels, etc for taking to ports, and also grab some boxes of cereal at the breakfast buffet.

I also would stress bringing your own kids cups and utensils, if they prefer the smaller kids ones. I usually bring my girls each 2 and always have one washed and ready to go.

Have fun! We have been to Nassau and Freeport with our girls a couple times, most recent Feb 2013 when they were 4 and 2. If you want any port advice I am happy to let you know what we did!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't worry about the milk, we have never had a problem finding milk for children anywhere we have travelled. Regarding snacks, bring what you think is the minimum you can survive with on the trip. This will reduce your anxiety about the issue, and whatever you find on board is a bonus. Plus I know my children found familiar foods comforting, especially at night, when they were very young and away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you will find it easy to always have snacks and milk for your kids on board. I usually bring my own packaged snacks like goldfish, pretzels, etc for taking to ports, and also grab some boxes of cereal at the breakfast buffet.

I also would stress bringing your own kids cups and utensils, if they prefer the smaller kids ones. I usually bring my girls each 2 and always have one washed and ready to go.

Have fun! We have been to Nassau and Freeport with our girls a couple times, most recent Feb 2013 when they were 4 and 2. If you want any port advice I am happy to let you know what we did!

I would appreciate that. I just posted this on the Bahama's port board:

We'll be in Nassau from 11-8 in April. We're booked on the Balmoral excursion right now, but I'm trying to convince my husband to do Melia or Wyndham because since we'll be there for the whole day, I think it will be nice not to be rushed at the beach. We'll have a 2 and 4 year old with us, we didn't have to pay for them for with the Balmoral excursion. Do you know if we'd have to pay for them at Melia or Wyndham? I can't seem to find any information about their day passes. From what I've read here it seems that for about $20-$30 we get the pool, beach, and a chair. Are any water activities (Kayak, water slide or trampoline) included at any of the three? Any pros or cons for Melia vs. Wyndham?

We took our girls to Atlantis at Nassau. It isn't a cheap day but we love it there. We didn't pay for the water park since they were too young to do that really. But we did the Digs (big aquariums) and the beach and lunch. The girls loved exploring the aquariums and they have a lagoon beach spot perfect for kids, and it wasn't crowded at all when we were there.

I can't speak to those other resorts but hopefully someone else can!

At Freeport we took a taxi to the Junkanoo beach club. Very nice beach we had a great day there! And there is a restaurant you can sit at tables in the shade right off the beach, restrooms, etc. we packed the sand pail and shovels for the kids and they had a great day playing in the sand and water.

You will have a great time in the Bahamas!

On Carnival ships if you don't see milk sitting out on the buffet just ask someone. We were able to get milk at ANY time, even when the buffet was completely closed, simply by asking someone who we saw cleaning etc...

We bring a very small amount of snacks for ashore ( indiv packages of goldfish, granola, trail mix) and then also grab a few boxes of cereal from the buffet. I don't have toddlers anymore, so milk just isn't a huge deal. The times we asked for milk was to go with late night snacks =)